I'd Kiss You Goodbye If I Thought It Would Make You Stay

Swing Life Away

”Am I loud and clear, or am I breaking up? Am I still your charm, or am I just bad luck? Are we getting closer, or are we just getting more lost?” – Rise Against

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Michael

I’m waiting for Nicola in the lobby of a hotel downtown, tapping my fingers impatiently against the fabric of my dark jeans.

I’m betting I look like an idiot, just standing around near the entrance, right by the big potted plant.

I sigh and glance at my watch; she takes so long to get ready. It’s not normal, I swear.

Eventually, she comes out of the elevator only after I’ve amused myself by counting how many marble tiles in the floor there are.

She hugs me and I kiss her on the cheek as a greeting. She quickly drags me out of the hotel by the hand before saying anything.

“What’s the rush?” I ask her, to which she only shrugs.

Frankly, I don’t mind giving up the greater part of the evening for her.

As Jack was leaving earlier, he didn’t want to tell me where he was going. I figured that meant it had something to do with Rachel, which meant I should probably stay out of it.

She obviously doesn’t want to see me as much as I want to see her.

Not that I could blame her. I only have myself to blame.

She’s probably already over me and in love with somebody else by now. I’m kicking myself for leaving her yet again. I mean, how could a girl like Rae stay single? She’s funny, talented, and creative, not to mention beautiful. Bill had told me she’s not dating, but he could be lying so he doesn’t hurt my feelings.

Maybe that’s why she’s been avoiding me.

I try not to let my mind dwell on that fact and instead concentrate on where Nicola’s dragging me to.

“Where are we going?” I ask her in confusion, as she pulls me down the crowded downtown streets.

“A restaurant,” she replies simply, ignoring the annoyed looks of the locals as we nearly run into some of them. “It’s ace; I found it the other day,” she boasts.

We eventually make it to the restaurant with vegetarian dishes she’s been raving about and settle into chairs at a small table. She twirls her strawberry blonde hair around her fingers as she scrutinizes the menu with more concentration than necessary.

I laugh, shaking my head at the intense look on her face.

“Oh, get stuffed, Michael,” she says without even looking at me. I only order a salad; I’m just not hungry these days. “When I get back home, I’m only bloody eating Vegemite,” she informs me seriously, and I just laugh at her again. “You don’t reckon they have any here?” she wonders aloud, looking about as if the Vegemite fairy will pop out from under a table to fulfill her craving. I’m about to answer her when my phone rings.

“Hey Mike,” I greet. Nicola watches me curiously.

“Hey,” he replies. “I was wondering if you’re busy tomorrow morning? We’re all going out for breakfast,” he says.

“Well, Nicola’s still here-”

“Bring her,” he suggests.

“Will…I mean, will…” I stammer nervously, running a hand through my messy hair. Nicola raises her eyebrows at me.

“Michael, if you want to see Rae that badly, I’m sure we can convince her-” he begins. I feel my face heat up. Am I really that obvious?

“I just-” I start to say, racking my brain for any excuse. I sigh helplessly.

“Yeah, you’re that obvious,” he says, and I can tell he’s grinning. “She’ll be there,” he assures me, and I foolishly allow my hopes to rise.

Nicola’s still staring at me when I hang up.

“What was that all about?” she asks quizzically, after the waitress comes back with our orders.

“You up for breakfast with the guys before you leave tomorrow?” I ask her.

“Bloody oath!” she replies agreeably, grinning before digging into her food.

She chatters away in between bites, and I’m surprised that she even has time to chew. Meanwhile, I poke at my salad, thinking about tomorrow.

“Michael,” she says impatiently. I glance up to meet her eyes questioningly. “I asked what’s got you upset.” I sigh, shrugging.

“Nothing,” I lie, stuffing some lettuce and tomato into my mouth to avoid further questioning. She raises an eyebrow knowingly, but thankfully, she lets the subject drop.
♠ ♠ ♠
Looking up Australian slang for this one was fun. I hope I used it right tho, lol.

Thanks: fatehathnomercy, To_Settle_The_Score, ashgal19, pplckndrpt20, darkday15, hockeyxgirlsxrock, HarperB82(btw I love your icon, haha), & checkyesjuliet(sorry for the cliffhanger about Nicola).