It's Really Happening

Chapter 17

Image

I would normally have trouble sleeping when it was light outside, but since I’d been up most of the night along with the whole day before, sleep came easily. I woke up a few times, due to bumps and switches in songs and such, but that didn’t surprise me.

The last time I woke up, it was to my phone vibrating in my pocket. I craned my neck to look out the window; we were sitting in LA traffic. Couch was snoring lightly in the front seat, but Abby seemed just as lively as she had when she’d decided we were going on a roadtrip.

Trying to push away my misgivings, I pulled out my phone and yawned. Stupid Twitter, waking me up. I smiled, though; Zack had gone surfing early this morning. I flicked through the list of recent updates, frowning when I noticed Abby’s icon. Despite knowing it was from a song, it still worried me. An unhappy Abby made me unhappy.

The screen lit up as the phone vibrated in my hand. Abby glanced over her shoulder; I waved and she turned back around, smiling. Strangely, the text I’d just received was from Rian.

Is Abby alright? Of course he’d be worried about Abby. They were practically BFF status.

Shes stressed out over the wedding and Josh being a moron. I know writings time-consuming and all but she feels like shes doing the whole thing herself, I tapped out, going back and blearily fixing all the typos.

I rubbed my eyes, sitting up and stretching my legs across the seat. “You want me to drive?” I asked quietly, watching the side of her face I could see.

Abby shrugged. “I’m not sure where we’re going,” she admitted.

I looked out the window again and thought for a few minutes. Tiffany started mumbling something in her sleep, making both Abby and me laugh when Rian’s name came up. “Are you hungry?” She shrugged again and I chuckled slightly. “Okay, rephrase. You need to eat. Let’s pull off somewhere and get breakfast.”

We merged off the freeway and began searching. I picked up my phone again, spotting another message. What do you mean?

Smiling wryly, I began replying. Why was he texting me this early anyway? EAs working on a new record back home and Josh isnt answering calls or texts. Shes worried and wants him to be a part of planning. Go back to bed Dawson.

Dropping my phone in my lap, I shut my eyes and smiled. “Boys are so weird,” I murmured.

“Zack?”

“Robert.”

“Rian?” Tiffany asked, head jerking up. I snorted and ruffled her hair over the headrest. “Hey!”

“Good morning,” Abby laughed as we pulled into a parking lot. “You’re just in time for breakfast.”

Breakfast turned out to be a bakery/restaurant where you could watch the pastries being made. Needless to say, we were endlessly entertained. While Abby and Couch stood in front of the glass window watching all the doughnuts get frosted, I sat at a table with a cup of tea gazing out the window.

We’d convinced Gigi that Dexter wasn’t an evil Hellhound and she’d taken quite a shine to him, so he was safe and taken care of. I called one of the other girls at the restaurant to cover my shift and I was going to call my boss to ask for a sick day; I had all of them for a year and a half left, after all. I didn’t have school or any familial obligations.

So why couldn’t I shake the feeling something was terribly wrong? I thought I was medicated to get rid of that.

“Why are you so gloomy?” Tiffany asked, sitting down across from me with her pastry. Abby joined her, chewing on a chocolate chip muffin.

“I’m not gloomy, I’m brooding,” I corrected airily, putting sugar and milk in my tea. “It’s what you’re meant to do in coffee shops.”

“Only if you’re a hipster.”

I rolled my eyes and instead of replying, turned to Abby. “What would you like to do today?”

“Um… I dunno. See famous people?”

“CAN WE STALK ZACHARY QUINTO?!” Couch asked excitedly, face splitting with a grin. “AND ELI ROTH?!” Abby smiled, shaking her head, while I eyed them both sceptically. Couch’s expression dropped. “Please tell me you know who they are.”

“Zachary Quinto, yes,” I said, sipping my tea. “The other one… I assume he’s someone famous with lots of muscles and facial and chest hair?”

She beamed. “Okay, good. You can stay.” She leaned her head onto Abby’s shoulder. “We also need to go shopping. And see a horror movie at the Beverly Cinema. And go to the beach! And get ice cream!”

I leaned my chin back into my hand and tilted my head at her. “I thought you’d never been to LA,” Abby said in surprised.

“Research!” Tiffany explained happily. “So? So?”

Abby looked at me, and I could only shrug. I wasn’t a huge fan of LA, but we might as well have fun while we were here. “Okay. One thing at a time though.” Couch bounced and starting listing all the things she wanted to do to Zachary Quinto, or ZQ as she referred to him, when she found him.

We quickly left after that.

One or all of us had a magical ability to find both parking and swank places to buy things. Mostly we wandered around, occasionally going into a store and trying things on. Shit was expensive there. We also bought a map of the stars for later, though we ended up scribbling on it, circling the people we liked and drawing moustaches and monocles on the people we didn’t.

For a while, Abby seemed distracted from the situation bothering her, which was good. I began to consider calling Rian or Jack to see if they weren’t busy for when she needed cheering up though. Retail therapy and Couch’s whirlwind shopping methods could only engross for so long.

After catching a matinee showing of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre—and being thoroughly freaked out, even I admitted it— we decided to find some Mexican food. Luckily my handy little iPhone found a Chipotle nearby.

I popped the trunk to put our bags inside and noticed my skateboard sitting there. Well, technically not mine; I commandeered it from my brother when I was thirteen. I had wondered what I’d done with it. “Eris, come on!” Tiffany called, she and Abby already halfway across the parking lot. I quickly grabbed it out, stuffed the bags in, and slammed the trunk.

“Show off,” Abby muttered as we walked in.

“It was just kickflip onto the sidewalk,” I argued, looking up at the menu. “I can teach you if you like.”

“Did you learn it from Zack?” Couch asked with a grin.

I smirked down at her. “No.” I pursed my lips. “I learned other fun things from him.”

“Okay, shut up now!” Abby sang, stepping forward to order.

“Abby?” I froze as Abby turned around to the tables by the front window. I knew that voice. “Eris?” I winced and followed suit. Yep. It was definitely Jack sitting on that table waiting for his burrito. “…Other girl I don’t know but would like to?”

I snickered, Abby hugged him, and Couch scrutinised him. “How does he not remember me?” she demanded.

“He was drunk and you were attached to Rian’s face,” I reminded her, crossing my arms. “Hey, Bassam. This is Tiffany, since you don’t remember.”

He held out his arms and pouted. “No hug?” I raised an eyebrow at him and nudged Couch into his grip. Jack stuck his tongue out at me, but hugged her anyway. “Mean. What’re you guys doing here?”

“Buying burritos!” Tiffany said hopping up to the counter to order. I sat down in the chair at the table Jack had been sitting at, putting my skateboard on the floor. Unfortunately, the woman behind the counter said that wasn’t allowed. I frowned at her, down at my board, and up at Abby and Jack.

I shrugged, handed Abby six bucks, told her what I wanted, and went outside. I was used to doing things people didn’t approve of, and I’d learned to work around them. I hadn’t skated in a while, however. Luckily the parking lot was mostly empty and I only had to avoid running into a car twice.

“So, really,” Jack insisted. They’d all decided while inside, apparently, that they were going to join me in being a punk ass and that we should all eat on top of my car. Except only they fit, so I sat on my skateboard. “What are you guys doing here?”

I quickly took a bite, relieving me of having to make up an answer. Abby exchanged unsure glances with Couch and then me; I shrugged innocently. “Just wanted a change of scene for a bit,” she said, staring into the mysterious depths of her burrito. “Tiffany’s never been down here, so we decided to drive down.”

“In the middle of the night,” Tiffany muttered.

“With absolutely zero foresight,” I added, even quieter.

Abby glared at us, but Jack laughed. “Awesome. It’s because you missed me, huh?” She grinned and nodded. I rolled my eyes and ate my burrito.

“Hey, uh, can you guys give me a ride?” Jack asked, smiling hopefully, once we’d finished.

“How did you get here in the first place?” I asked curiously.

“Zack dropped me off and said I had to walk back because he was going home.” Abby patted his head. “I don’t wanna walk! It’s like three miles!”

I laughed. “It’s not a problem, Bassam,” I said, getting into the driver’s seat. “So long as you or Couch has shotgun.” Tiffany quickly clamoured into the front. Jack pouted and joined Abby in the back. “I want no molestation in my car, thank you.”

Jack gave me directions to the place he, Rian, and Alex were staying—mostly at the last second before I had to turn—and insisted that we come hang out with them. Couch didn’t like this plan, however. She would have rather gone celebrity-hunting.

“You are not making with Zachary Quinto!” Abby declared as we walked down the sidewalk.

“Why not?!”

“Because it’ll make Rian sad, and I like Rian, so shut it!”

“Don’t look at me,” I said in response to Jack’s confused face, “I just got shanghaied into coming because I have a car.”

“Jack, we agreed no girls here while we’re recording!” I heard Alex yell from the depths of the house.

“Yeah, like that’s plausible,” I muttered, causing Abby and Couch to snicker. I raised my voice and called casually, “I don’t think Alexander could get through one day, much less recording a whole album, without girls, do you?”

Starting very quiet and getting louder and louder came the sound of running footsteps. A few seconds later, Alex slid into view from down the hall with a big grin on his face. Apparently he had a good retort. “Maybe,” he agreed, “But why would I need to when they deliver themselves to my doorstep?”

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t make us sound like we’re made-to-order prostitutes.”

“You mean she’s not?” Abby asked, pointing at Tiffany.

“Depends how much you’ve got to pay,” she said with an audacious wink.

Alex’s and Jack’s eyes widened, and I slid a hand over my face. “Abigail, go find Robert before Tiffany turns their brains to mush.”

We ended up sending the rest of the day with the guys. Thankfully Rian was more considerate than to allow Couch to eat his face off in front of us. Around six o’clock, however, our bodies seemed to remember that we’d each gotten about three hours sleep. Rian carried her off once Tiffany fell asleep on his shoulder.

Quite gentlemanly. It was almost surprising. “No one’s sleeping on that sofa,” Alex pointed out as Abby nodded off on my shoulder.

“No, we can find a hotel close by,” she said through a yawn, eyes already shut.

I smiled. “I do believe we’ll take you up on that,” I said, pushing Abby to lie down. “I’ve got a blanket in the car we can use.” Alex followed me out, also letting me wrap up in one of his hoodies. To make sure I wasn’t mugged or raped or anything, he said.

Sweet boy. Shows it in unusual ways, but sweet.

“You sure you don’t want to come with us?” Rian asked, having deposited Couch somewhere.

I laid the blanket over my best friend, already fast asleep. “Nah, if I stay up any longer, I’ll pass out and fall over.” I shrugged, putting my hands into the pockets of the sweatshirt. “Can I borrow this though? It’s warm.” And smells like boy!

“How come you’re not staying at Zack’s?” Jack asked.

It took a minute for that to process, and even when it did I stared at him blankly. Then I smacked a hand over my face. “Goddammit, I knew there was something I was forgetting,” I muttered. The guys laughed and bid me goodnight while they went to get dinner.

I meant to text Zack and tell him we were in LA and I wanted to see him, only when I sat down at the end of the couch to think of how to word it, my head rolled back and I fell asleep. The next morning the three of us girls sat at the table in the kitchen, trying to be pleasant so soon after waking up.

“You look hungover,” Alex laughed, sitting down beside me with a bowl of cereal. I opened one eye to glare at him and tried to straighten my hair. “What’re you lovely ladies up to today?”

“Famous people stalking!” Couch said excitedly, a glint already in her eye. Abby and I exchanged looks; she’d need a leash.

The guys were tracking guitars until the afternoon, but decided that going to the beach with us sounded like an awesome idea. Abby and Couch would have to go buy beach clothes first though. Abby clapped Jack over the head when he said they were totally unnecessary.

While they were off “being professional”, we three drove around Hollywood, pointing out famous people’s houses and the famous people who lived there. I sat in the back, listening to Abby and Tiffany shouting, laughing, and singing along with the music in the front seat.

“Oh my god!” Couch laughed, pointing out her window. “He looks like the guy from Metro Station!”

Abby laughed. “I hate Metro Station.”

I jumped, quickly pulling out my phone. “Fuck, I forgot to call Zack!” I exclaimed, instead deciding to instant message him since it’d be faster.

They both cracked up. “How did that remind you?”

“Zack hates Metro Station too.” I shrugged my thumbs moved. “As do I.” I stretched my legs out across the seat. I suck at remembering things but we left for LA at 1am and got here yesterday. Meet us at the beach at 4?

Alex called me. Why didnt you?

I frowned slightly. It didn’t happen often, but Zack was annoyed. I just had no idea why. I directed Abby on how to change the stereo so the speakers played in the front but not the back; I couldn’t concentrate with Say Anything on. Abbys been stressing about the wedding. Ive been indulging her running from problems.

You need to be less altruistic.

I smiled. Please come? Dont have my board but I love watching you surf.

“You sending dirty messages back there?” Couch asking seriously. I looked at her through the side mirror and shook my head, smirking. “You are! I knew it!”

“Yes,” I agreed dryly. “Scandalous texts about surfing. They don’t call it sex wax for nothing.”

“Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!” Tiffany hadn’t stopped chanting since we’d gotten back in the car with iced coffees. “Oh my god, he is so fucking FINE!”

“I’m shocked you only fangirled out and got a picture,” Abby said, shutting the driver’s door and catching the bottle of sunblock I tossed her. “You were talking about jumping Zachary Quinto all day yesterday.”

Couch stuck her tongue out at me. “Well, I WOULD HAVE! but ERIS! wouldn’t let me! I can’t believe you walked right into him.” I shrugged and put on my sunglasses. It was for her own happiness. And Rian’s. Girly needed to make up her mind on whether they were a thing or just fooling around.

The only warning I got was Tiffany squealing. Before I turned I got tackled into the sand. “Jack, get off me!” Abby shouted, laughing. Well, at least I wasn’t alone.

“Hey, Eris,” Alex greeted, grinning.

“Get your skinny ass off me, Alexander,” I replied. He took the shades off my face and started running the instant he was on his feet. “Hey! I need those to see!”

Apart from running around like crazy people (or kids half our age), we made sand castles, buried Jack up to his neck, and ran into and away from the tide. Abby and I, being pale people, put on sunscreen every hour, which was worth the mockery. I’d have fun poking Alex’s sunburn.

While the rest of them walked up the boardwalk to get ice cream, I sat on our blanket to watch our shit, though mostly I stared out into the water and spaced out. When I caught sight of him, I watched Zack surf and wished I could be out there as well.

“You sure you don’t want any?” An ice cream cone with shoved under my nose as Abby, Jack, and Alex sat down around me.

“Lactose intolerant,” Abby explained, seeming to enjoy her scoop of mint chip. Jealous? Hell yes I was. “She’d be sick all day.”

“Where’d the lovebirds go?” I asked, looking around. There was a pause. “Actually, don’t tell me. I don’t want to know.” We didn’t talk for a while, them eating their ice cream and me trying to ignore my stomach growling. At one point I snapped back into reality and noticed that the inevitable had come upon us: Abby looked miserable, thinking and staring at nothing.

Well, that would not stand. “Hey, Jack, why don’t you and Alex take Abby on a nice romantic walk down the beach?” All three of them turned to look at me, each with an expression of confusion. I looked pointedly at Alex, who seemed to catch my drift. Or at least the “DISTRACT ABBY” part of it. And the fact I didn't use their full names.

After they’d gone, a surfboard lodged itself in the sand beside the blanket. “That was nice of you,” Zack said. I shaded my eyes to look up at him; Alex had stolen my sunglasses again. “Something’s up and you’re not telling me what.”

“Well, hello to you too,” I said smartly, standing up. As I kissed him I got a flash of what we must look like: surfer with his wetsuit still half on and his surfer girlfriend next to a surfboard. We could’ve been a postcard. “I’m sorry I didn’t call. I didn’t get much notice myself.”

“It was more Alex telling me you and Abby looked cute passed out on his couch.” I rolled my eyes at the idea. “But…” Zack gave me a light kiss on the lips. “I think I can forgive you.”

I grinned. “Yeah? How’s that?” What I was not expecting was for him to pick me up, swing me over his shoulder, and start walking back towards the water. “Zack, you know I hate when you carry me around!” He laughed and kept walking. “Wait. What… Zack, don’t! Put me down! I don’t want to be all salt-watery until I get home! Zack! No—!”

But my protests didn’t matter, since he strode straight back into the water and didn’t let me go until a wave swept over us both. When I surfaced I pouted at him. “You’re mean,” I accused.

Zack grinned. “You can shower at my place,” he offered. “No way are you sleeping on a couch again when you could be sleeping with me.” I splashed seawater at him. “Hey!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hurrah, I have updated! and the boys are back! We can't really go very long without some banddudes. They're fun.

Comment, pleeeease!