It's Really Happening

Chapter 4

"So when did this happen?" Rian asked, tugging my hand up in front of my face as I fought tirelessly against him.

"A few days ago," I answered once he let go of my hand. I slipped my arm through his and laid my head on his shoulder as we walked down a random street of San Francisco, neither of us really knowing where we were going.

"Have you told anyone else?"

"Well, now I think a grand total of six people know: you, me, Josh, Eris, Zack, and Tiffany. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones!"

"You haven't even told your parents?" I let out a soft chuckle and shrugged.

"I'd rather wait for Josh to come out here."

"But isn't your mom back east?" I looked at Rian and condescendingly put my finger to my lips and shushed him while trying not to laugh.

"You are so not helping me right now."

"Fair enough," he replied with a chuckle. "So tell me what else has been going on in your life."

"Well...when was the last time I saw you?"

"November?" Rian offered as we turned left, heading towards the marina.

"That sounds about right." I smiled. "Well, you know that I moved into a small place in Detroit-"

"To be closer to Josh," Rian prompted. I rolled my eyes and nudged him before I continued.

"Yes, but also to work at the Detroit Public Library because it's incredible. So much better than the one in Buffalo."

"Yeah, I heard all of that. But what about now? Like, when are you guys getting married and what are you going to do after?"

"I...really don't know," I answered honestly. "I mean, it's all happened so fast that I have no idea where to go from here."

"Are you even sure you want to marry him?" I stared at Rian open-mouthed for a moment before he stuttered and tried to correct himself. "I mean, like, are you ready for it?"

"Is anyone really ready for marriage?" I retorted. Rian rolled his eyes and let out a laugh.

"Sure, go for the philosophical route."

"Did you expect anything else?" I asked with a smirk. "I'm only 22, after all."

"And I'm only 21."

"Stop making me feel old," I whined. Rian rolled his eyes again as we stepped onto a dock, shuffling our feet along the wood before coming to a stand still at the railing.

"Abby, you're not old. You will never be old as long as you feel young."

"Aww, Rian. Now who's being philosophical?"

"It's rubbed off." He smiled. "But anyway. I have to know if you're like every other girl and already know what your wedding is going to be like."

"Hell no! When have I ever been like every other girl?"

"Touché." Rian chuckled. "So you haven't thought about it at all?"

"Well, to be honest, I never thought I'd get married in the first place." I breathed out as a small wind passed us by and blew my hair into my face. "But the plane ride out here gave me a little time to think, and I think I figured out a few things."

"Like?" he prompted. I looked at him and he shrugged. "I'm curious!"

"Planning a wedding of your own, Dawson?" He let out a laugh and shook his head.

"Not at all, Dutton. Continue."

"Well, I want it small. Family and close friends."

"So not Alex, then?" I laughed and Rian grinned.

"Of course not. Gaskarth would invite the entire 13-year-old population."

"No he wouldn't." I gave Rian a look and he caved. "You're right. He'd end up mentioning it during a show or on Buzznet."

"Precisely. So he will know nothing until the day of."

"Can I tie him up and leave him somewhere?" I laughed again and nodded.

"If you want. Can I finish now?" Rian nodded and I smiled. "Thank you. I'm also thinking of having it out here. Not in San Francisco necessarily, but west coast definitely."

"Why?"

"Well, most of my family is out here. Both of my parents grew up here and I prefer the California coast to basically anywhere back east."

"Fair enough," Rian replied. "The east coast does sort of suck."

"You know what I mean," I said as I rolled my eyes. "I love the east, but I'd rather get married out west."

"Good point. Anything else?" I sighed heavily and shrugged.

"I got nothing. You?" Rian thought for a moment, tapping his fingers on the railing before he came to a conclusion and snapped his fingers.

"Under no circumstances is anyone allowed to give Alex or Jack a microphone after they've been drinking." I burst out laughing and Rian joined in as I laid my head on his shoulder again.

"Amen."

Rian and I stayed silent for a while, both of us simply staring at the water in front of us as we enjoyed each other's company. He and I had become close on the few tours All Time Low and Every Avenue had done together the year before because unlike practically everyone else on those tours, we were somewhat sane.

Even though I was known as one of the guys' girlfriend, I wasn't written off as another bimbo without a brain. Maybe it was because I had already been mentioned half a million times (or so I had heard) as the kind of girl you'd forget was a girl. I didn't know if that was a good or bad thing until I went to a few shows on the Manwhores & Open Sores tour.

For one, I didn't care about going on tour with them; I liked just going to a couple of dates and hanging out. And when I wasn't there, I didn't need to know every detail about every second of every day. If something big happened, then I'd find out. Other than that all I liked to hear about were the basic tour shenanigans.

When Every Avenue was on stage, of course I would watch from somewhere in the crowd. I hated being on the side of the stage because it made me feel like the girls in the front would watch me instead of the band.

But when they were hanging out with fans during the two bands after their set and before All Time Low, I'd be hanging out with Rian. Josh obviously trusted both of us enough that he wasn't worried Rian was trying to steal me from him (which is absolutely ridiculous) and I didn't have to worry about Josh thinking that he had to spend time with me after he played.

Long story short, when Every Avenue toured with All Time Low again in November, I knew I would have to come out to a few of the shows for two reasons: 1) Support my boyfriend's band, and 2) Hang out with my best friend Rian Dawson.

"Hey Rian?"

"Yes, Abby?"

"You've asked me a million and one questions about Josh, but I haven't heard a thing about Kara. Tell me?"

"There's not much to tell," he said with a sigh. "We broke up."

"What?" I perked up immediately, completely taken aback by this news. "When?!"

"About a month ago." Rian sighed again and shrugged his shoulders. "It's better this way." I frowned and hugged him tightly.

"I'm sorry, Rian. I feel horrible for going on about-"

"Don't even," he interrupted. "You have every right to be happy about you and Josh. The last thing I want is you feeling sorry for me."

"Fine," I relented. "But I'm making it my mission to find you a much better girl." Rian rolled his eyes and slung his arm over my shoulders.

"You do that." I smiled. "And I'll fish my phone out of my pocket to see who's calling me." I looked at him oddly as he did just that, brandishing his phone in front of my face to show who was calling. Speak of the devil.

"Lemme answer!" Rian gave me the phone with a smile and I answered it eagerly. "Alexander William Gaskarth, you whore!"

"What the...who is this?!"

"I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU DO NOT REMEMBER ME AFTER THAT MAGICAL NIGHT WE HAD TOGETHER 8 MONTHS AGO!" I cried dramatically as Rian burst out laughing. I smacked him roughly and told him quickly to shut up as I listened to Alex's response.

"Of course I do...uhh...but...fuck."

"Buttfuck? Ew, Alex. Really."

"Okay really who is this? I thought I called Rian!"

"You did, I just stole his phone. You're talking to Abby, dumbass."

"ABBY?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH RIAN?!"

"Standing on the edge of the San Francisco Bay while Zack and Eris are at her apartment doing God knows what."

"I did not need that visual."

"You love it, I know you do."

"You know me well. But what are you two doing in San Francisco?" Alex asked as my own phone vibrated in my pocket and I handed it off to Rian to deal with.

"Partying, obviously. Where are you?"

"In Bumfuck, Maryland with Jack. I didn't even know Rian and Zack left!"

"That's because nobody likes you, Alex."

"Aww, Abby. You hurt me."

"I can't help it if I like Rian more."

"At least say you like me more than you like Jack."

"Will that make you feel better?" Alex didn't answer so I let out a sigh before saying, "Alright, fine. I like you better than Jack."

"HOW COULD YOU?!" I cracked up as I heard Jack's voice. I knew I was being ambushed.

"Jack! Alex tricked me!"

"He's sneaky like that! You should learn!" I looked at Rian who was busy with my phone but after a minute or two he looked at me and began laughing like I was.

"You are both ridiculous and should come out to San Francisco."

"San Francisco? I thought you were in New York!"

"Did you think Rian was in New York?"

"Rian's in New York?" I slapped my forehead and sighed.

"No, Jack. Rian is not in New York. He is in San Francisco with me, Eris and Zack."

"Oh. Well why didn't you say so?"

"I did! I told Alex!"

"Nobody tells me anything!" Jack whined. I rolled my eyes and let out another sigh. The short time away from those two made me realize how much less hectic my life was without them.

"I'm telling you now. And now I'm going to hang up after telling you one last time to get your asses out to San Francisco."

"Oh all right. I'll make Alex pay for it."

"That's the spirit!" I laughed. "Later, Jacky B."

"Bye Abby D." I hung up Rian's phone and as we traded back, I saw that he had sent several text messages.

"What? You're popular!"

"With who? I never get texts!"

"The first one was from Josh and then Tiffany started texting you at the same time."

"Who'd you text back?" I asked as I scrolled through my inbox, smiling when I looked at the one Josh had sent.

1st question rents asked- where's abby? I miss u

"Tiffany. I wouldn't dream of texting Josh back from your phone. That's a whole lot of awkward I don't want to deal with." I rolled my eyes and laughed.

"Come on, let's head back. We have to warn the other lovebirds that Beavis and Butthead are on their way," I said as I replied to Josh's text.

Rian & zack r here & they know. I miss u 2

"Really?" I nodded and Rian sighed. "I don't think there's ever enough warning for that."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hiiiiiiiiiii I suck.
Comments, por favor?