Take My Hand, Let's Get Famous

Chapter Four.

The hallways and passages of my school were maze-like. When I had first started going there I had gotten lost countless times and it had taken me at least three weeks before I knew where all my classes where. I walked quickly to my next class, unaware that Taylor was trying to catch up with my fast pace.

I did not stop until I was safely sitting in my seat. And when I did so, I was shocked to find Taylor standing in front of me a few seconds later puffing.

He looked at me and said, "Wow. You're fast."

"Not really." I replied, still wondering why he had followed me.

Taylor sat down in the seat next to me. "Well you beat me here, and you don't look one bit tired."

I tried to think of a reasonable explanation, rather than say 'I'm just used to rushing through the halls so I'm not noticed'. I decided a shrug would be sufficient. Once again, Taylor just laughed and smiled at me.

Until lunch, Taylor continued to follow me from class to class. It was really mind boggling to me as to why he would do this. But really, I had no objections. He was brightening my day, even if it was only for a short time.

We didn't talk, we just sat. I was glad for this though, I didn't know how to talk to boys. And I supposed, for the most part, it would probably be best if we didn't.... didn't.... get to know each other? Even in my head the words sounded strange. Why in the world would this beautiful boy want to get to know me?

In no way was I what the girls at my school considered "pretty" and many times my parents had called me "ugly".

I preferred to keep my hair tied up in a bun. My mother refused to let me get it cut. Once, when it was almost to my knees I had cut it myself. My mother was so enraged with me that she kept me home from school and locked me in my room - when I wasn't cleaning - for a week. Thus, my hair had practically never been cut again.

I didn't have many bathroom privileges either. My parents allowed me ten minutes in the bathroom each morning and night. Long enough for me to wash myself of all the dirt I picked up whilst cleaning, brush my teeth, and if I was lucky, wash the grease and dirt from my hair. Over the past few years I had gotten quite good at doing these things very quickly, and so my appearance was better than it had ever been. Not good enough to make me pretty though, of course.

Obviously, I wore no make-up, and my face often broke out in pimples. Although, my breakouts generally only manifested themselves during "my time of the month". My eyes were a very plain brown and my hair a common mousey brown. I liked the idea of having bangs to hide behind, but that was out of the question, seeing as how I wasn't allowed to cut my hair.

When lunch time came I sat alone at my usual table - furthest from the cafeteria line and the entrance - that way no one would sit with me just because the table was close. I always bought my lunch. My quick walking speed generally gave me a good spot in the line and I normally didn't have to wait too long.

Lunch was my thinking time. It was the only time I really didn't need to think or worry about anything. I could just relax and I was free to think about whatever I fancied. My thoughts obviously turned to Taylor. He was so beautiful. A loud noise came from the cafeteria's entrance and my thoughts were interrupted by just the person I had been thinking about, as well as a large group of other, very loud, boys.

Taylor spotted me as his eyes swept the room. He smiled and gave me a small wave. Such a display was a complete shock to me, and half of the group he was with turned to look at me incredulously. I reluctantly waved back at him and he seemed to take this as a sign that he should come over. He abruptly changed direction and headed for my table, leaving a number of the boys he was with completely dumbfounded. The boy who had accused us of flirting the day before seemed to realise what was going on and continued to lead the rest of the group towards the cafeteria line.

Many girls turned their heads to look at Taylor. You could see the lust in their eyes. And then they looked at where he was walking to, straight towards me and I could see them scowl and whisper to each other. I really didn't like that attention. Hopefully I wouldn't get any trouble from them because of this.

"Hey," he said with a smile and sat down next to me.

"Hi." I replied tentatively.

"So...." he started, pausing shyly. My heart fluttered, he was so cute. "I was just wondering, do you want go out on Friday night?"

My heart stopped. He was asking me out? Me?. "YES. YES. YES. YES. YES!" my mind screamed. But then I took a deep breath, exhaled and calmed myself. I couldn't go out with him. It was impossible, completely and totally impossible. My parents would never allow it.

With a sad sigh I replied, "No."

Taylor's face, his beautiful, perfect face dropped. Instead of his toothy grin was a frown. "Why not?" He wasn't angry, just confused and disappointed.

What would be the best way to reply to that question. I had to say that I just didn't want to, didn't I? I couldn't say that I wouldn't be allowed. It would result in too many more questions. Or could I? No one had ever taken any interest in me before, maybe this was my one and only chance at escape.

Before I could answer the bell went for the end of lunch.

"I have to go." I said and grabbed my bag and practically ran from the cafeteria, leaving Taylor confused and staring after me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long. Hope you enjoyed :D