The Rise & Fall of O'Hare

Jackass

Ann and Jeff got there and coffee to go. Jeff also got a couple donuts. They then drove over to the East side of O'Hare. East side was considered the bad pat of town. Many of the houses were abandon which allowed them to be used for illegal purposes, like drug dealing. The street that was host to the murders that Ann and Jeff were investigating was a one way street with apartment buildings lining the sides.

The apartment building that Charlotte Lewis lived was on the corner on the left hand side. "She lives on the tenth floor, apartment 9E." Ann said as they entered the building.

"Dammit." Jeff said when he saw the elevator. Taped onto the rusting doors was a hand made sign.Out Of Order

"I guess we're walking." Ann said with boredom in her voice. Ann and Jeff slowly walked up the dirty stairs. They passed no one except for a man who ran into Ann on the ninth floor stairs. He didn't apologize as he continue to run down the stairs. "Jackass." Ann muttered under her breath. Jeff laughed quietly at her remark.

After ten flights of stairs, they finally made it to apartment 9E. There was loud rap music coming from the apartment across the hall. Ann knocked on the fading green door of Lewis's apartment. "Ms.Lewis, this is the police. Please open the door." No one answered."Ms.Lewis." Ann practically yelled as she knock on the door louder. Still no one answer.

Ann and Jeff exchanged nervous looks. Ann removed the gun from her holster but she kept the safety on. She then grabbed the door handle and turned it. The door was unlocked. She slowly pushed the door open with her foot. "Ms.Lewis." Ann said as she walked into the apartment. Jeff followed her with his gun in his hands. Ann glanced into the kitchen. No Ms.Lewis. Ann walked pass the kitchen and into the small living room. She wasn't in there either. Ann walked across the room to the door that led into the bedroom. Ann she carefully opened the with her foot again.

Lying on the floor, with a gunshot wound to the head, was 76 year old Charlotte Lewis. Ann quickly checked her pulse as Jeff called for an ambulance and back up. Lewis had no pulse but she still warm. "She's still warm." Ann said when Jeff hung up his cell phone.

Jeff's face showed confusion before they both said in unison. "Jackass."