Love Story

The walls are crashing down. The pain is taking over. Everything is ruined.

*At the hospital*

Doctor-"I have some bad news for you."
Joe-"What is it?"
Doctor-"You are the father of Taylor's baby, correct?"

Joe tensed up immediately. He held his breath as he nodded.

Joe-"Y-Yeah."
Doctor-"I'm terribly sorry to tell you this, but... Taylor lost the baby."

Joe was at a loss for words. His mouth remained open with nothing coming out of it. He felt like crawling into a ball and dying. But he couldn't do that.

Joe-"W-What?"
Doctor-"She had a miscarriage. All of the beating and such caused it."
Joe-"N-No! You're lying! Why are you lying!"

Tears came to his eyes as he shouted at the doctor.

Doctor-"I'm really sorry, Joe. You can see Taylor if you'd like. She's not awake, though."

He walked away wordlessly, leaving a heartbroken Joe in his path. Tears poured out of Joe's eyes as he came to a realization that he would never be able to hold his child. He would never be able to hear the cries of that little boy or girl. He would never be able to tuck him or her into bed. He would never, ever meet that child. His friends and mother gather around him and attempt to give him a hug, but he simply pushed them away. He sat down on one of the chairs and held his head in his hands. He cried violent tears of sorrow, pain, and horror. Denise silently sat next to him and rubbed his back as he cried. She didn't talk to him. She didn't hug him. She was just there. And that was more than Joe could ask for her to do. After several minutes, he looked at his mother.

Joe-"It wasn't supposed to turn out this way. It was supposed to be a good thing. How am I supposed to tell Taylor that our child died. She's going to blame herself for everything. She doesn't need that!"
Denise-"I know, sweetie. I know."

Instinctively, Joe hugged his mother. She hugged back, letting her son cry into her arms. After a few minutes, he stood up, wiping tears away from his face.

Joe-"I'm going to go see Taylor."
Denise-"Okay."

He made his way to Taylor's room, dreading what he was going to have to tell her. When he entered her room, she was sleeping. He breaths were even and slow, and the machines beeped consistently. He sat down on the chair next to her bed and stared at her. He took her hand into his and kissed it softly. He studied her peaceful face, and hated the fact that it wasn't going to last. He tried with all he had to hold back the tears; he had to be strong when Taylor woke up.

Joe-"How am I supposed to tell you? I don't want to see you heartbroken, Taylor. I love you."

At the last three words, Taylor's eyes began to open. She blinked a few times to adjust her eyes to the light that flooded her room. She squeezed the hand that was holding hers, knowing it was Joe's. She was unaware of where she was until she heard the beeps of the machines beside her. She closed her eyes as flashbacks of what had happened only hours before flooded her memory.

Taylor-"Ugh. I'm here again?"

She opened her eyes again and looked at Joe. As she studied his face, she knew that something was terribly wrong. She sat up a little, keeping her eyes locked on his.

Taylor-"What's wrong?"

Joe looked down and cleared his throat, trying to buy himself some time.

Taylor-"Tell me what happened, Joe."
Joe-"I-I... You're going to be devastated, Tay."

He couldn't bring himself to look at her. He knew that she was frowning at him, though.

Taylor-"Joe, I have to know whatever it is, so just tell me."

Joe sighed, knowing he couldn't put it off any longer. He continued to look down and closed his eyes as he told his girlfriend the news that would kill her.

Joe-"Taylor... You had a miscarriage."

He finally brought himself to look at Taylor. Her face was pale; completely blood-drained. Her mouth was opened, but nothing was coming out of it. She couldn't, nor did she want to, believe it.

Taylor-"W-What? Our baby is... d-dead?"

Joe swallowed hard, trying to hold back tears. He nodded slowly and closed his eyes.

Joe-"I'm so sorry, Tay."
Taylor-"Oh my..."

Tears poured down Taylor's face as the words replayed in her mind. The room began to spin, and Taylor wondered if she would pass out. She hoped that she would pass out. At least that would take away the pain that she was feeling. Joe wrapped his arms around her as she cried histerically. She hugged back tightly as she bawled her eyes out. She kept on repeating the word no. Joe cried with her silently, and he rubbed her back. He hated seeing Taylor like that. He comforted her in whatever way he could.

Joe-"Ssh, it's okay."
Taylor-"No, it's not! Our baby is dead because of me!"
Joe-"It's not your fault, Tay."
Taylor-"Yes it is! Because I didn't know how to listen, our baby is dead!"

She cried even harder than before as she came to a realization that the miscarriage was her fault. Joe tried to convince her that it wasn't her fault, but it was no use.

Taylor-"This can't be real. It can't be! It's all just a dream, and I'm going to wake up soon, right?"

She looked at him, searching his face for any signs of hope; there was nothing. She knew that it wasn't a dream, but she tried to talk herself into believing that it was.

Taylor-"This just can't be happening! It's not real!"
Joe-"I'm so sorry. But even though I don't want it to be, it is real."
Taylor-"I know."

She layed her head on his chest and he held her tightly. She cried endlessly into his chest along with him. Outside of her room, Selena and Demi stood, listening in. They were there mainly in case they were needed. Tears spilled down their faces as they heard two of their best friends cry endlessly. They wanted more than anything to make everything better. But that was impossible. Instead, they had to see their friends deal with a pain that was unbearable, which hurt them deeper than they thought was possible.