Surrender Your Heart

15

It had been a few days since Matt and Kylie’s talk on the beach. Matt was walking out of the studio with his phone in hand, waiting for Kylie to answer. “Hey there,” she said happily into the phone.

Matt smiled. “Hey babe; want to go to a bar or something? I could use a drink after today.”

The blonde laughed. “Yeah sure, just you and me or the guys too?”

He shrugged and told her to hold on. “Guys, Ky and I are going to the bar. Anyone want to come with?”

He got a few mumbled no’s in response; Rian had to go to the airport to pick up Kara and Zack was going to head back to his place. Jack declined, having forgot his ID at home and he didn’t feel like finding it. Alex agreed though. “Alex is coming, but that’s it.”

She nodded. “Okay, I’ll meet you guys at the bar by my house?”

Matt nodded, said okay, and then the two hung up. He and Alex got in the car and drove off towards Kylie’s. They were quiet for the first part of the ride, but then Alex spoke up. “So, Kylie’s still in the dark about when we leave?”

Matt nodded, flicking his turn signal on to move into the center lane of the highway.

“You really think that’s the best plan Matt?”

He just shrugged. “I don’t know, dude. But it’s my plan and I’m sticking with it, because as of right now I don’t have many other choices.”

Alex shrugged. He wasn’t going to get into it with Matt right now. The two were relatively quiet for the rest of the drive. When they got to the bar nearest to Kylie, Matt parked and they climbed out. Ky was waiting out in front scanning the parking lot for the two boys she was waiting for. Matt waved and she spotted them soon after.

She walked over to them and hugged Matt and said hello to Alex. “Let’s go inside… there are way too many creeps out here.”

Matt nodded and after snaking his arm around her waist, they went inside.

The trio all took seats at the bar, not in the mood to deal with the crowds. After they got their drinks, Alex started talking about the studio. Kylie wasn’t paying much attention, because she had heard it all before from Matt. She turned her head to glance around the club/bar and caught a pair of chocolate brown eyes. They were staring at her. She rolled her eyes and turned back to face Alex and Matt. After a few minutes, she said, “I’ll be right back,” and headed in the direction of the bathroom.

Kylie wasn’t expecting the owner of the chocolate brown eyes to lightly grab her arm while she was on her way to the restroom, but alas, he did. “Hey there pretty girl.”

Kylie stopped in her tracks, barked out a laugh and rolled her eyes. “You’re kidding right?”

The guy who had stopped her was in his early twenty’s, probably 23 or 24. He had the classic Hollywood look and enough gel in his hair to supply everyone in the state of California. While he was hot, Kylie was so not interested. “About what, you being pretty? Not in a million years doll face.”

From where Matt was sitting, he could see the whole exchange between Kylie and the idiot flirting with her. He wasn’t paying any attention to what Alex was talking about, and the singer noticed. He turned his head to where Matt was staring and sure enough, spotted the disaster occurring.

Kylie smiled and laughed. “Thank you, but you aren’t my type. And I have a boyfriend.”

Chocolate eyes smiled. “Where? I don’t see him coming to your rescue.”

Kylie frowned and glanced back to where Matt was sitting. Sure enough, he was watching the whole exchange. So why the hell isn’t he over here rescuing me? The girl rolled her eyes and walked away, headed to the restroom.

When she finished freshening up, she headed back to Matt. “Did you see the slime ball flirting with me over there?”

Matt smiled and nodded. “Yeah, but you wiped the smirk off his face pretty quick.”

Kylie frowned. “Yeah, I did. But it would have been nice to have my boyfriend come over and rescue me from the situation.”

Soon Matt was frowning too. “What do you mean?”

She sighed and shook her head. “Forget it,” she mumbled. She didn’t know what was up with Matt, but for some reason, he was distancing himself tonight. She marked it off as what she hoped was just a bad day for him and tried to enjoy the rest of the night with the two guys.

***

The next day, Kylie was starting to worry. Matt distancing himself last night was starting to get to her and worry her. She had no idea who to talk to who would understand either. She wasn’t the type of girl to make a million girlfriends, or even one really close friend; especially not after Anna’s death. Kylie had a few close friends, but a lot of them were guys she met through working at the studio, and so not the type of people she went to for relationship advice.

The blonde pushed her hands through her hair and sighed. She picked her cell phone up and went through all the numbers, desperate for a girl to help her out. No one stuck out in her mind. But then suddenly, she thought of a certain guy who just might be perfect. She selected his name and let the phone ring. Finally, he answered. “Hey Ri, I need some help.”

***

A half hour later, Rian pulled into Kylie’s driveway. She was pacing inside, and when she heard the sound of gravel crunching under tired, she ran to the door and whipped it open. She waited for the drummer out on the porch. “Hurry up!” she yelled to him. “I’m totally freaking out right now.”

Rian laughed at the girl and walked over to her, Kara not far behind him. She had come out for a visit and was leaving in a few days, but had spent some time with Kylie and wanted to offer whatever advice the girl needed. Kylie dragged them inside and shut the door. “Kitchen,” she said, pointing towards the room she was referring to.

He nodded and walked while she and Kara followed. The two sat down at the table and Kylie sighed, pushing her hands through her hair for the tenth time in a matter of thirty minutes and taking a seat also. “So, what’s up?” Rian asked her calmly.

She looked up at him. “I’m freaking out. I have never been in a relationship like I am in with Matt, and I’m just… losing it, clearly.”

Rian chuckled lightly. “You’re not losing it.”

Kylie shrugged simply. “Whatever; I feel like I’m going insane. But that’s not what I need help with. I need help with what the hell am I going to do when you guys leave?”

Rian winced. He wanted to steer clear of the leaving topic for the sake of his promise to Matt. “Look Kylie, I don’t know if I’m the best one to help with that…” he trailed off, averting his gaze to look at Kara.

“Rian,” she whined, dragging out his name. “I need help here! Any advice? Come on! You two have made it work for like, a million years, even with the whole separation thing. I’ve never done that though, so I have no idea how to make it work, or if I can.”

Rian frowned. “Okay, well first off, we didn’t have to start the whole separation thing a few months after we started dating. And at first, it’s tough. But if you love someone, I don’t know… you’re just willing to make it work, no matter what. Does it suck to be away from each other? Hell yeah. But you get through it, and just keep going.”

Kylie looked up into Rian’s eyes to make sure he wasn’t bullshitting her. He definitely wasn’t. She sighed. “So it’s not all really easy like you guys make it look?” Kylie had not only heard phone conversations, but was experiencing it first hand with Kara visiting.

Rian laughed. “I mean, it’s hard, yes. But it’s not impossible.”

Kara nodded. “You’re not an idiot, Ky, so you know its hard to be away from someone. But even though its hard, like Ri said, it’s not impossible.” She smiled at the blonde and said, “You love Matt; because of that, you guys will be able to make it work.”

Kylie smiled and got up to hug the couple. They stood and hugged her back. “Thank you,” she told them when they all separated. “You made my freak out disappear.”

Rian laughed as she walked him to the door. “Have some faith in yourself, Ky. Everything will work out in the end.”

She nodded. She let the two leave so they could go hang out and have some alone time, and then went back into her house. Her freak out had dissipated, and she was regaining some of her confidence in Matt and her. She smiled as she made her way up into her bedroom; she and Matt could do this. She was almost one hundred percent sure she loved him, and like Rian said; if she loved him, they would make it work. Everything would work out in the end, she was almost sure of it.

Key word being almost.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm officially a junior in high school.
Fuck yes.
Updates should come quicker now because I'll have more time.
xoxo

PS: every comment I get makes me so happy, so to those of you who comment this regularly, or have even just commented once; thank you. I appreciate it so much. :) <3