Crazy in Love

"Screw the stereotypes"

My parents got back that evening. My mum was crying, holding me, thanking Joyce's mum over and over for having looked after me. Even my dad's eyes were glistening a little from a hint of tear water. He just held me tight and told me everything is going to be ok. I believed him, of course.

Outside our house, a police van is sitting on the other side of the dirt road. A night patrol. To make sure that sick bastard doesn't come back again, or if he does, they can catch him once and for all. I slept easy knowing that strong people were all around me. I was protected, at last.

The next morning, my mum dropped me off at the other entrance of the school. Where the front office was, and the Headmistress's office. She had requested to see me quickly before my lessons started.

"She probably wants to talk to you about all that's happened," My mum explains to me, "If you feel uncomfortable, you have to be assertive and say so darling. Don't let her pressurise you. You've been through enough as it is, do you understand me?"

I nod, sighing, and smile a little, "Yeah. Thanks mum."

We exchange hugs by leaning out of our seats, then she kisses my cheek affectionately, preparing for my leave. I get out of the car, move through the open gateway in the red, metal fencing, then up the steps and through the tall, red wooden door, with the large brass knob. I think my Headmistress is trying to make the school look somewhat royal. Good luck.

The meeting is quick. Mrs. Gibson just gives me her support by telling me she's there if I need to talk to someone, and if the students make me feel uncomfortable then I'm to go straight to her. Yeah, right, and grass on them all for being curious? I'm not going to do that. But I appreciate that she didn't pry or 'pressurise' me like my mum had suggested. I thank her, smile politely, then leave as quickly as I possibly can without revealing that I do still feel uncomfortable even though she was sweet about the matter.

As I walk down the halls, I'm not surprised to feel eyes on me and sense that the whispers and chatter are about me. Everyone must know about the break-in at my house. I try to send people casual smiles, but all I get are sympathetic ones in response. Christ, why can't people just get over it?? I have.

I turn to my locker and twist the code into the round lock. I sigh. My heart is beating slightly faster than usual; I feel out of place, what with being the centre of attention. Hopefully it will fade away over the next two days or so. Some new gossip will take the focus off of me and onto some other poor sod. I hope.

"Morning, Ally." A familiar, friendly voice speaks.

I glance over my shoulder and flash James a light smile, "Hey, James..."

He can detect how rigid I am. He can detect the blush that I'm forcing down, even though my back is turned to him.

"I, uh... I got you something." He continues shyly.

I blink and turn around curiously. What's this? James reaches round into the side slip of his bag and pulls out a small, palm-size teddy bear, which has a blue, silky t-shirt on that seems to have been made by hand! It's cute. My eyebrows furrow in flattery and sweetness; was he for real?

"It's just... you know, what happened to you the other night and all. If you get scared, he'll keep you safe. As if I'm there with you. I know, terribly cheesy, but it's the best I could come up with." He snickers lightly and rubs the back of his head.

"James..." I shake my head slowly, speechlessly, "I..."

He rolls his eyes at himself, as if he's the stupid one for even showing it to me, "You hate it."

I snatch out to take it, "No, I love it! I just... I didn't expect this... Thank you, James."

I look up from the adorable teddy bear and smile warmly at this sweet, harmless angel. He's been nothing but kind and caring to me. I lean up on my tiptoes and hug him tight, resting my chin on his shoulder, and closing my eyes comfortably. His hands press against my back, at the top, and the bottom.

"Thank you for everything you've done. I'm glad you transferred here." I whisper to him dreamily, sighing, as I try to rid my mind of troubles.

He stares at the open locker behind me, "... Me too. You've been so kind and helpful to me. At least now you have something of me with you all the time."

I giggle and lean back from the hug, but keep my hands on his shoulders, "Ok, now that was a little cheesy."

He narrows his eyes and wrinkles his nose in distaste, "Yeah, it was, wasn't it..."

We both chuckle lightly. I put the teddy in my locker, so I can collect it at the end of the day, and gather my books for first period: Maths. I'm with James. As we walk, I begin to adjust to the gossiping, the stares, the sympathy waves and 'hello's. I feel more confident now that I have James by my side. Not because he's tough, or cool, or even that popular, but just because his friendship means a lot to me. Him simply being there. And being so loyal. He's so... gentle.

Maths was a complete bore. I'm really struggling with it at the moment. If I don't get reasonable grades, my parents said they won't let me take the scholarship even if I win. It's their way of assuring I have something to fall back on if my ambition for a career as a gymnast doesn't work out, for some reason. So I need to get at least a C in all my topics - History, Maths, English Lit and of course Gymnastics. That's four A-Levels. Gymnastics and History are the only ones I enjoy - Maths and English Lit can screw themselves, ugh.

As I sat here, pretending to understand what my teacher is babbling on about, I feel a strange attention on me. I look over. Craig is in his usual seat, in the corner, just one row behind me. He looks me up and down with disgust; Matt must have told him something different to what really happened. Of course he would. He won't want to be seen as the bad guy. I break the gaze and shift uncomfortably. Only 20 minutes left. I could do it.

"Ugh, I hate Maths so much..." I groan upon leaving the room, 20 minutes later.

James is right beside me; he smiles at the irony, "Then why did you take it up for A-Levels?"

"My parents," I shrug, nonchalant and toneless, "They want me to have decent qualifications. You know, a safety net. They don't have as much faith in my gymnastics career as I do."

"Why not?" He genuinely asks.

I shrug again, "... Well, they had good jobs. My mum was a lawyer and then made a company with my dad out of architecture. My dad used to be a pilot."

James' eyes widen, "Wow... no pressure, then?"

I laugh dryly, "None."

"Well, you know... I'm doing Maths too," James slowly states, clicking his tongue, sounding quite hesitant, "So... if you need some help, I could always- you know..."-

"Like a tutor??" I chirp excitedly.

James blinks, but soon smiles, "Yes, exactly. A tutor. I can do that for you. I mean, if you like..."

I then realise something, and tilt my head to one side in curiosity. My eyes trail over and up to James' pale face. He is looking straight ahead again as he waits for my reply, until he feels me watching him, and returns the gaze.

"What?" He smiles warmly.

"Nothing... it's just... nice. Having someone wanting to help. Who's actually interested in my life. My situations, wants and dislikes," I nudge him playfully, "I'd be eternally grateful if you could help me with Maths... But what about you, huh?"

He doesn't get it at first. So I press on, to give him a little push.

"What do you wanna' do? What's your story?" I remind him, rolling my eyes playfully.

He sighs apprehensively, "Ah, do you really need to ask the nerd that?" I laugh, but he continues, "My dad left when I was 7. My mum was broken down by his absence and resorted to writing romance novels to help ease her pain. I think she escapes into the memories of her and my dad before he left us. But after three years, she couldn't find any inspiration from the City anymore, so we came to the countryside where she could find it again. And here I am."

I nod, interested, and also impressed, "That's quite a story... What do you wanna' be, I mean - what career are you looking at?"

He rubs the back of his head with embarrassment. He is hesitating. I nudge him, but he looks away, biting his lip. I laugh at him, and grab his arm, tugging it like a desperate little kid.

"Come on, I told you everything!" I pout like a baby, "Please?"

He rolls his eyes, "I want to be... no, you'll laugh."

"I swear, I wouldn't." I sternly snap, holding my hand up, in defence and innocence.

He sighs, "Fine... but it's awfully cliché of my stereotype; I doubt you'll be surprised. I want to be an inventor. I want to invent, for a better future."

I grin, "Oooooh. An inventor. You'll do great. What's the first thing you want to invent?"

He chuckles awkwardly, "Well, I haven't got that far yet. I need the basics of Maths and the Sciences first to begin brainstorming. When I've got them, I'm going to attend a camp where they have all the facilities you need to begin working on projects."

"You've got it all planned," I link his arm; I don't realise the sparkle in his eyes, or how stiff he comes, "I wish my plan was that easy. You're a good guy, James. Screw the stereotypes - ok?"

He just nods and remains smiling. Finally, it is our time to part, and we go our separate ways down the hall. I have History next - he has Chemistry. On my way, I make eye contact with someone that makes me feel very on edge again. I don't care about the gossip about the break-in at my house, I've gotten used to that quite quickly now. But it was the deep, dark embarrassment and spite embedded in Matt's eyes that caught me off-guard. He has bruising on the right side of his face, around his eye, which is slightly bloodshot. Wanker.

I break the gaze and feel my stomach wriggle with negative butterflies. That was uncomfortable, definitely.

Jame's POV:
~~~She liked the teddy bear. No - she loved it. She even said that herself. That look on her face, it was beautiful... and our conversation. I've never had such an amazing conversation with someone before. She likes me for me. And the way she linked my arm so casually!

Clever girl. I know that game. I think she's starting to open up more. She wants me. The teddy-bear gift worked, I knew it would!

I'm usually still embarrassed after I tell someone what I want to be in the future, but not with Ally. She's here for me. She was flirting, wasn't she? Her girly giggle, nudging me tenderly, standing so close and keeping her eyes on me so warmly. She was flirting.

All I want is to have her to myself. Is that so much to ask? Patience, James. Patience. Nothing can be rushed. And besides, I don't want to get hurt, even though it's a bit too late now. I've fallen. I've fallen hard for Alicia Grovers. And I can see that she's going to fall for me, too. But that doesn't mean I can relax and simply wait for her. I have hard work ahead of me.

You'll be mine in due time.~~~