Crazy in Love

"Live for the moment"

Warren accompanies me back to the changing rooms after we have been waiting for at least another 20 minutes for the fire-brigade to come and go. It turns out that the fire started up in the auditorium room, just above the gym itself. To think that Warren and I were so close to it... it's haunting, in a mild way.

Warren waits outside while I change back into my yellow top-dress and cowboy boots. I swing my bag over my shoulder as I come back out to meet him, but he offers to take it, and I let him. He's such a gentleman.

"So, where to?" Warren asks as we walk side-by-side towards the exit.

I arch a curious eyebrow, "What?"

"Coffee, remember?" Warren smiles down at me; I blush.

"Ally!" A voice shouts out from ahead, "Hey!"

Warren and I look away from each other, and to the approaching exit doors, to see James' figure standing there. He breaks out into a run and comes straight at me, where he wraps me up in a hug. I'm surprised by his behaviour, but I hug him back, laughing a little. Warren doesn't look as delighted.

"James, what's wrong with you?" I laugh and lean back to look at him.

"I stayed behind today to help organise the charity sale next week. I saw you out on the grounds but the teachers made us stay in alphabetical order; are you ok??" He pants to me, his hands on my shoulders.

I shake my head at his dramatic self, "Yeah, I'm fine - James, chill out."

"I took care of her, don't worry James." Warren coolly reassured him.

James' eyes flicked onto Warren. They weren't as light as when he was looking at me. I didn't quite know why, but I knew there was some strange tension between these two boys.

"Thanks, mate." James smiles rigidly.

"Yeah, thanks Warren." I add, smiling, trying to lighten the mood.

Warren gives a jump to push my duffel bag further over his back, "So, you ready for that coffee Ally?"

James looks to me, "We're going for coffee? Sounds good."

Warren and I both look at James awkwardly. How do I say it? Damn.

"Uh... actually, James," I smile carefully; I give him a look of apology, "Warren and I were thinking... just us two?"

James looks disappointed. Like a slap in the face. But he nods, trying to act cool, and moves his eyes from Warren and I as though adding us up like a maths equation.

"Oh... ok, that's cool," James nods and steps back with his bruised ego, "Well, I guess I'll chat to you both later then."

Warren puts his hand on my back and leads me on, "Yeah - later, mate."

I look over my shoulder as Warren and I walk out the exit doors. I send James one, final smile. A smile saying thank you, a smile saying sorry, and a smile saying just how much his friendship means to me. He just smiled back... a smile of self-pity, kind of, but I didn't blame him at all. I feel really guilty still.

But my mind is soon taken off James as soon as I get in Warren's sexy car. I'm a little embarrassed that I haven't even started lessons yet, but Warren didn't seem judgemental at all when I explained how I was waiting until my gap year so I could focus on it more. He took me into town where we went into Lizzy's - a cute little café on the corner. I had a caramel coffee, and he had a hot chocolate.

"So... can I ask you something personal?" I timidly ask, while stirring my coffee with the silver spoon.

He licks the cream from his bottom lip and leans back in preparation, "Shoot."

I nod, although I feel a little reluctant, "... How did you get the," I pause and point to my eyes, "Why are you..."

He knows what I'm trying to ask; he smiles philosophically, "It's called retinitis pigmentosa."

I tighten my eyes in curiosity; I don't have a clue what that his. Warren gets the point.

"It's where the rod and cone cells in the retina start to degenerate over time," He explains indifferently, "as I said, I've got about 3 years till my sight goes completely."

I make one of those faces when someone is trying to be sympathetic, but not in a patronising way. I feel awkward now that he's told me - I don't really know how to react. So I do the traditional thing.

"I'm sorry." I mutter courteously.

He shrugs, "I'm ok with it, so you should be too. Besides, I'm taking lots of Vitamin A, which helps to prolong complete vision loss. I might get 4 years if I'm lucky."

I smile to myself as I watch him play with his hot chocolate with the tip of his red-striped straw. He's like a kid who can't see the bad in anything. I like being around him. He makes things seem... brighter.

"You've got a good attitude," I tell him in admiration, "If only more people could be like you."

"Going blind?" He ruthlessly jokes; I hate it when he does that.

I roll my eyes, "Strong-willed. Optimistic. Wise."

Warren sarcastically puts on a frowning face, "Aw, now you're breaking my heart baby."

"I'm serious," I giggle, poking him with my dry straw, "It's inspiring, really. You're not scared?"

He shakes his head, "I've been scared - I'm tired of it really. Now, it's like... I don't wanna' waste my time cowering away. I need to do and see as much as I can before my time's up. I don't have time to be scared."

"You see the world in a different way," I add, mesmerised by this guy, "for me, it's plain and laborious... but you must see it as... as if it's heaven, right?"

"Are you a poet?" Warren cockily teases me; I go to poke him again but he dodges, "Ok, ok, seriously now. You're right; I do see it like that. Maybe you should try to as well. Fair enough, you'll have your sight for longer, but anything could happen. Live for the moment. Appreciate it all... We take so much crap for granted."

His words take a permanent home in my mind. It's such an obvious statement, used in all the films, all the novels and poems, but I've never heard it from the lips of someone who truly knows its meaning and power. Live for the moment. It relates to everyone, to me. My struggle for the scholarship - I have to do my best. Live for that moment.

"Yeah," I nod, thinking to myself; then I flash him a smile, "But you've got chocolate on your nose."

He tries to lick it off with the tip of his tongue but he doesn't succeed. Laughing, I lean over the table and swipe it off with my finger to help him out.

"What, you're not going to lick it?" He jokes, pouting.

So, in a flirtatious act of "revenge" for his inappropriate comment, I wipe the chocolate on his cheek instead to make it worse. Warren glares at me like a kid. I can't help but laugh.

"Ok, the comment was a little crude, I apologise - but come on!" He barks stupidly.

I laugh, yet again. He really amuses me, in a genuine way. I don't feel as though I have to laugh to make him feel funny... he actually is funny. And for being so genuine, I lean over once more, take a hold of his face with both hands, and slowly lick the chocolate froth off his cheek with the tip of my tongue. He pauses, makes no sound. As I lean back, our eyes meet, and we both smile. Just before our lips touch. So softly. No rush. No powerful lust. No force. Just sweet time, and sweet tasting. I like this guy.

"I've been wanting to do that." Warren whispers in between kisses.

I laugh lightly against his lips. He's great.

~~~No... Ally, what are you doing? How could you do this to me? I thought it was me you wanted! You led me on - allowed me to believe that there was a chance. And then you go and kiss some other guy? I can't stand this. I'm so confused. I understand you're scared that he'll lash out and hurt you, not even physically, but mentally and emotionally... but you don't have to kiss him to save yourself. Just tell him you love me and that will be it.

Are you aware that I followed you here? Is this another one of your clever tricks to make me insanely jealous and make a bigger move? I'm trying, here. I'm trying to be subtle but obvious both at the same time. Taking you to my bed after the party, the teddy-bear, the offer to tutor you... Ally, why can't you see what's in front of you? He'll only hurt you.... I'll help you see, before it's too late. And I'll be the one you'll come crying to.

Ally, you'll have me and only me. I want to be your hero. So that's what I'll make happen. I'm sorry it's come to this. I know you'll be hurt... but it's for the best. I promise.~~~