Crazy in Love

"It's the new kid"

It's nearly 7 now. It's only been an hour, but it feels like so much more. The three guys fall backwards into the comfort of the long, leather couch as they unload their laughter from the pits of their stomachs. They really do love their Jackass. They could have chosen any out of my DVD's, out of all 40, and they chose my least favourite. My male cousin bought it for me, thinking that girls were actually entertained by watching guys drink horse semen. Ew.

My friend, Joyce, and I remain staring at each other through our squinted eyes of disgust. Our hands are at the sides of our faces in the form of shields, to stop ourselves from seeing even a glimpse of the repulsive dare.

"That's so gross..." Joyce growls from under her breath.

I nod, my lips tight, my nerves feeling harassed by the sound of the Jackass members heaving and puking. When the scene is finally over, the boys are still laughing and slapping their knees in passionate amusement. I glance at Matt; he isn't laughing anymore, but he is clearly finding my disgust entertaining.

Ironically, there is a knock at the door. We all look around at each other in shock; what terrible timing. So terrible that all the guys laugh again, and even us girls join in. I get up in a hurry and go out to the front door, which is just through the open doorway and to the left. The sunset skylight shines in through the windows and creates a relaxing mood. I open the door.

Before me, stands a pizza delivery boy, just a few inches taller than me. He wears glasses, and behind those glasses, are a pair of the most amazing blue eyes I have ever seen. Not in a romantic way - they were just... so blue! His curtained hair is pressured down by the red hat on his head and he possesses the odd spot here and there on his chin, but nothing major. As I study him naturally, he shifts from side to side on his jumpy feet; he seems a little nervous.

"Three margaritas - one with meat-feast toppings, one with hot peppers and ham, and the last is plain." He reads from the receipt which is stuck to the top box.

I show a polite smile and nod, "Yeah, that's right. Uh... come on in for a sec, I'll get my purse."

He nods awkwardly and steps up into the house. I shut the door behind him and, smiling also in an awkward manner, I turn away and lead him back into the living room where the open-planned kitchen is joined. My purse sits on the counter.

"Oh hey, look who it is," Matt's friend, Anthony, calls out tauntingly, "It's the new kid. The a-star-four-eyes. Forgot your name, sorry."

The two other boys, Craig and Joe, laugh lightly. The pizza boy looks to them all in discomfort, though he tries to appear strong and indifferent. I glance at Matt in warning; why are his friends being so unfriendly? All he does is try to hide his own amused smile by inhaling a deep breath and stretching. But the pizza guy proves he can handle himself...

"It's James, actually," He replies, speaking loud and proud, "but don't worry, I'd expect someone with your speed of brain-waves to forget something as simple as a name."

He pushes his glasses further up the bridge of his nose before walking over to where I stand on the other side of the kitchen. I smile somewhat, with impress, and relief that the guy isn't as victimised as I thought. However, I hear Matt's dude's snigger and 'ooooh' Anthony in a belittling way. That would teach him.

I smile at James as he moves towards me, "Well... I was about to give you the 'ignore those wankers' pep-talk, but I see you don't need it."

He sniggers modestly and licks his lips, "Nah..."

Aw, he's adorable. I hold up my purse and he spares a glimpse at the receipt once more.

"That's twenty-three, ninety-three please." He sweetly states.

I nod and hand him a twenty-pound note, and a fiver, "Keep the change."

He pauses after taking the money. Naturally, our fingers brushed, our skins touched. I thought nothing of it. It's something that's bound to happen, with anyone, through an exchange of something. Whether it be money, a delivery - whatever. I was just paying the guy.

But I didn't realise just how much it meant to James at the time.

As I walk past James and re-enter the living room, I look over at the boys and send a teasing smile over in Anthony's direction. He looks a bit peeved. James gives a brave little wave before coming out into the hall.

I watch him step outside, but a question strikes me, "Hey, wait..."

He looks back, curious, waiting patiently. I smile and tilt my head to one side. I look upon him much like a fun puzzle I'm trying to solve.

"New kid?... Do I know you from somewhere?" I ask, while narrowing my eyes in struggle to remember.

He gives a dorkish chuckle, "The new kid - at college. I came in with the other few transfers. I started on Monday, only three days ago. I wouldn't expect you to know me so quickly."

I smile and send him another of my friendly nods, "... Well, now I do. See ya' tomorrow?"

He adjusts his glasses again, then he flips the lid of Velcro envelope in which the pizzas were in. Like a cowboy who fixes his hat, or Batman who swishes his cape, or the cheesy action-hero that winks at the camera after performing some sexy spin on his motorbike. Except... this was the geeky pizza boy, the new kid. James.

I wave goodbye and close the door, and head straight for the kitchen. As I open the cupboards to take out the plates and such, I only just realise the increase in volume of the boys' voices. Before I know what's happened, I hear a loud growl of anger, a thudding of feet, and squeaks of shoes on the wooden floor. I jump up in alarm just in time to see the boys rushing out of the living room, all behind Anthony.

I look to Joyce in confusion, as she stands there, also stunned, "What's going on??"

She shakes her head quickly, "I-I dunno'! The boys were talking in their annoying bad-english slang and then Anthony suddenly got fired up and ran out and they followed."

I hear a vague yell from outside and my stomach squeeze in warning. Joyce rushes out of the living room before I can; I'm still grasping the facts. Oh shit. I roll my eyes - apprehensive, annoyed, disappointed - and break out into a fast jog through the house. As I run down the path I can see Matt and his friends standing around a figure on the ground, and Joyce is staring in shock. She doesn't know what to do.

I run past Craig and come to a stop. Anthony smashes his foot down onto James' glasses and they crack against the dry mud. James coughs, wipes the blood from his lips, and scurries slowly back and turns to use his Moped for support to stand. But just as he has made it to the top, Anthony steps over to him and punches him hard in the stomach once more. That's it.

"Stop it!" I yell and run at Anthony.

I grab his arm and pull him back determinedly. He spins, staggers away with me, and I slam my hands into his chest as to push him away. He does so and opens his arms as if to say 'and what?'

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" I shout at him furiously, "He didn't do anything!"

Anthony runs his fingers through his blonde hair and points at the nerd on the floor, "He should remember to think before he opens his ugly mouth."

I slap him on the chest again, "So you beat him up because he defends himself?? You're nothing but a bully!"

Matt laughs and tries to calm me down, "Ally, babe, it's not a thing. The twerp deserves a lesson. He thinks he can move here and speak to anyone the way he likes?"

I stare at him wide-eyed, "What, like Anthony did when he came in?"

Matt snickers, as though I'm exaggerating, "Ally"-

I cut him off angrily, "I thought better of you, Matt. I guess not everyone is what they appear to be."

I sneer and shake my head. Then, I spin on my heels, and go down to Randall's level to hold him up by his shoulders. He's got a bruised cheek, a split bottom lip and is winded so bad he's still coughing some.

"Oh, and what's that supposed to mean?" Matt stared at me, trying to protect his ego.

But I ignore him and help James to stand by wrapping his arm round my shoulder, "Come on, let's go inside. I've got some plasters and TPC."

He limps along side me and lets his head hang tiredly. Now, his pizza hat is on the floor, and his dark curtains are swinging loosely in the air. I don't need to say anything to Matt's goons - the angry look in my eyes orders them to step aside and let me through. Matt watches me go and holds his arms out, just like Anthony had.

"Oh, come on!" He shouts in disbelief, half laughing, "We only scratched him!"

"Go home, Matt." I grunt back at him.

Joyce eyes Anthony up and down as though he is complete filth. Then, she spins, and marches off up my path and into the house after me. The door slams shut. It takes a moment before Matt reveals his frustration by whipping round and slamming his foot into the Moped, which falls onto one side. Joyce is watching out of the window.

"Are they going?" I ask, putting a pillow behind James' back on the couch.

Joyce keeps her arms folded; a sign of nervousness, "Yeah, they are now."

"Good. Can you get me the pack of ice from the bottom draw in the freezer? And the medical box on top of the microwave?" I ask, although I am mostly distracted by poor James' state.

Joyce tears her gaze away from the window. She sees James' bruised, bloody state and winces for him. She doesn't hesitate in complying to my request. Then, it is just James and I alone in the living room, under the soft glow of the pink light from outside. We have the most beautiful sunsets in the countryside.

"Oh, I'm so sorry James," I tut, frowning worriedly, "I had no idea they'd be such bastards."

James snickers, but ends up coughing a little, "I did."

I shake my head and watch him sadly, "Then... why'd you say anything back to them?"

He opens one eye to look at me. God, those eyes are so blue. They entranced me - as in, they were just so amazing. I didn't know eyes could be such a strong colour. Not mine, I had boring hazel.

"Bruises and cuts disappear eventually, but our pride and dignity need a hell of a long time to recover." He smiles proudly and reveals his bloody teeth.

I finally smile back. Although my eyebrows knit together in sympathy, and my eyes show sadness, my smile is admiring and understanding. I nod. My hand rests on his, to show that he is a friend of mine as of now. To show that his words are appreciated, as is his pride.

"You did good." I nod once.

James' eyes linger on mine. They were soft, sweet, grateful.

I don't quite know what would have happened next. How long he had remained gazing at me, or whether I would soon realise that maybe touching his hand was a gesture perhaps too friendly. We didn't have enough time to see what would happen... if only Joyce had come back a few seconds later. Maybe then I would have detected the strangeness about this James. I would have taken my hand away and shown a different attitude. But I didn't have enough time to figure out what James was really thinking.

Jame's POV:
~~~Her hand is on mine. Is she hinting? Could this beautiful, caring, intelligent girl possibly be interested in a loser like me? Yes... I think she is. She must be. She was so nice to me when I came in, and then she took my side over all those sporty lads. No way would a girl just do that for any random guy. It all means something.

I don't want to fall fast. Every time I do, I only get hurt. I won't fall fast. I swear... but I can still hope. Hope to make her mine. I can smell her so strongly. I can feel those lips against mine already. Her hand is so soft and warm - I want it all over my body. I need her to want me.

But I won't fall fast. I swear.

But I can still hope.~~~
♠ ♠ ♠
Because Mibba doesn't allow font changes (bold, italics etc) I'm having to add on Jame's thoughts at the end like that. Sorry if it looks messy and tacky but it won't work otherwise! I