Crazy in Love

"Slightly creepy"

It was already lunch-time here at college - sorry, I mean 6th form. Just work with me, ok? I was in History, one of my favourite subjects, learning about 'Medicine Through Time'. Such a fascinating topic. I gave a tender yawn upon my travel along the current of the hall. Voices called, laughed, shouted, cheered, made a teenage melody. Upon entering the canteen, I flipped out my mobile phone from my pocket and went to the text section to type a message to Joyce: Where are you? I'm in the canteen.

I was just about to send it when a pair of hands slapped down onto my shoulders and made me gasp, jump, and clumsily drop my phone on the floor. Joyce giggled as I picked it up, but then frowned and apologised at seeing my mobile in my hand.

"I was just texting you." I state dryly, then I finally give in and smile.

Joyce and I cut straight to the front of the queue - an advantage that comes with being in the final year - and scan our eyes over the available foods. I decide to choose the vegetarian pasta. No fats, but good carbohydrates and energy.

"What's with the boring food, Ally? Usually you dip straight in to the sausage rolls and pizzas." Joyce snorts as she follows me through the crowds.

I smile proudly, "The competition is next month. If I'm gonna' get that scholarship, I have to take care of myself."

She just nods supportively and sits opposite me on an empty table when we find one. We have only just picked up our plastic forks when I feel a presence arrive beside me and the table vibrates from the pressure of someone sitting; I look over, and find James.

I smile warmly, "Hey you. How was last period?"

He is munching on a bit of food, so he nods excitedly like a little puppy while he waits to swallow. When he finally does, he clears his throat, does that silly thing with his glasses again and then speaks.

"It was interesting. Biology is really useful; I don't understand how people can't appreciate it." He comments cutely, and so seriously too; like a business man talking about his company.

Joyce smiles, slightly sarcastically, although she finds him just as adorable, "Oh? How so?"

James blinks a few times. It was as though he wasn't expecting her to ask for an example. We wait for him to reply. I expect something impressive from him - and that's what I got. Although... it was a weird impressive, if that makes sense. Nodding calmly, James takes his plastic fork in his hand and uses the other to reach out to my arm; he pauses, looking to me for permission. I give it to him.

"Well, did you know... by cutting the underneath of someone's upper-arm, just here..." He demonstrates by twisting my arm carefully and stroking the knife along the inner of my arm, under my armpit, "A person can bleed to death in a matter of seconds. Because here - this is the brachial artery..."

As he speaks, I notice his eyes trail away from Joyce and slowly move up my arm. My shoulder. My neck. Then my eyes - I poke my tongue out at him, thinking nothing of it. Silly girl. Silly, oblivious girl.

"It pumps 30 litres of blood a minute," James continues in a soft, mesmerised voice, "And there's just five in the whole human body."

I smile with impress at Joyce, while she just quivers and gives a brief tremble from a shiver that runs up her spine. James is still holding my arm as I giggle at her. If I had only been taking notice. A good thing Joyce was. As soon as she looked at him, he let go, as though the sleeve of my sweater had burnt him.

"That was good," I giggle, pointing my fork at James, "I like that one whiz-kid. Slightly creepy... but a good one."

I sniff back the temptation to giggle and stick my fork into my polystyrene cup of steaming, vegetarian pasta. It looks good, and smells even better. I am this close to tasting how good it is, when my mobile buzzes in my jacket pocket and makes me tense up.

We nd 2 tlk. Matt xx

I look up and crane my neck round to look behind me. Examining each table, I finally find Matthew Taylor's countenance, as he sits on the window sill. The colourful stained glass behind him makes him seem even prettier... but he's only attractive on the outside. His behaviour at my house was disgusting. So, to give him my answer, I hold up my phone and clip it shut in the air for him to see. Then, I smile bitterly and flick my hair over my shoulder just to rub it in his face.

James notices this odd behaviour quite easily, "Are you ok?"

I smile brightly; I'm so pleased with myself, "Perfectly. Thanks."

I send James a quick wink. Then, as I'm about to finally eat my food, a new presence arrives at the table. One I hadn't expected - ever. Not after our first encounter, because first impressions are everything. It's Warren.

"Is it ok if I join you?" He politely asks.

I struggle to get my words out. Joyce rescues me. She is always good at that - saving my ass when I'm about to make a fool of myself, or say something that will only land me in trouble. In year 10, I was about to confess that I was the one who had put super-glue in my enemy's hair, but Joyce suddenly grabbed me and pretended to comfort me as though I were crying. Crying, not from guilt, but from being accused. It 'hurt' my feelings so. Heh.

"Take a seat," Joyce told him, "I'm Joyce. I assume you and Ally've met before?"

Joyce nudges me with her foot and I finally snap out of it. But what I come out with isn't exactly smooth or cool. That was what I was planning - that was what Joyce was trying to help me with. But, no, I had to mess it up.

It just rolled off my tongue: "He's half-blind."

Oh shit! What the hell did I say that for?! I release a sharp gasp and slap my hand to my mouth, while Joyce just rolls her eyes and sighs into her food. James is trying to hold back his sniggering.

"Oh... god, you know-... why? Why, why, why? Why do I have to speak??" I whisper to myself in sheer embarrassment, with my hands covering my flushed cheeks, and my eyes scrunched up tight.

But to my relief, and my utter surprise, Warren begins to laugh. I freeze. My tight eyes snap open and rise from the pasta below me, up onto his handsome, giggling face. Joyce also looks at him and produces a relieved, sweet smile. James no longer needs to hold back any laughter.

"Sorry, I can't help it," Warren hoots as he releases a long breath, wiping the corner of his eye, "You're terrible, Ally."

Once I ingest what he has said, I give a little scoff and lower my head to join in with the laughter. Then Joyce joins in, and finally, James gives a chuckle or two. Thank God Warren wasn't angry.

"I'm Warren by the way," Warren looks to Joyce, "And I was planning on waiting a while until I casually mentioned I'm going blind, but my apprentice beat me to it. Stole my thunder."

He winks at me. God, he actually did that! I feel my stomach tense up and subconsciously tuck some hair behind my right ear; James' eyes dart over to me, then back down to his plate again, so quickly that no one would have noticed. I begin to pick at my food to help my nerves ease.

"So, you're one of the five transfers, huh?" I casually begin the conversation.

Warren nods, "Came from Surrey."

I look up at him with interest, "My uncle lives in surrey - which part?"

"D'you know Kingston?" He squints one eye as he asks this.

I give a little laugh, "No way. That's where he lives. He has a flat along the Thames."

Warren and I both exchange bright smiles. I'm so happy. I can't believe I'm feeling all giddy already, after having met him for just a few minutes. But what can I say? I'm a sensitive gal'. Pfft. No, not really. I just wear my heart on my sleeve. I can't help it. Sorry.

"What lesson d'you have next?" Warren asks me; our eyes are still locked.

"Maths?" I reply in a question; I'm hoping he does too.

He nods, a little disappointed, "Chemistry."

"I have Maths." James pipes up all of a sudden.

Everyone looks to him. Joyce gives a chuckle.

"Ah, there you are James. I thought you'd slipped away somewhere." She teases, and we all laugh.

James laughs faintly with us, then we go back to casual conversation, which he stays out of again. I am so indulged in Warren's company that I don't pay much attention to James. I mean, he isn't really contributing to the conversation, so I feel it's best to just leave him to it? Joyce is talking, so I talk back.

"Hey - are you ok?" I whisper to James, finally, after feeling a buzz of guilt in my chest.

James' eyes dart up to meet mine, "Yeah, I'm fine. Are you?"

I nod contentedly, "Yeah… you're just quiet, that's all."

Knowing he's ok, I turn my attention back to the topic of talk between Joyce and Warren and subtly manage to involve myself in it again. James remains picking at his food. But he's fine.

A wave of cheers and whistles spread through the canteen and catch all our attentions. The cause of the excited uproar arrives at our table; a fellow student, a crazy guy called Ricky Clarkson, speedily hands out a bright yellow sheet of paper to us all before screaming passionately, like a rock-star, before running off to give more out. I read the advertisement; he's having a party.

"Sweet," Joyce nods, "You up for it?"

I bite my lip in thought, until I speak, "I dunno'... my parents are away till' Tuesday. D'you think it's a wise idea to leave the house alone?"

"This's the countryside. Not LA. It's not like we have a reputations for thieves around here. Just come for a couple of hours - I'll sleep round after if it will make you feel safer?" Joyce sweetly supports me, nodding, grinning.

I am defeated by her maturity, "Oh, ok. But only a little while..."

"How about you, Warren?" Joyce asks excitedly.

"The party, or Ally's house after?" He cockily asks; I laugh.

Joyce rolls her eyes, "He's in. James, you're coming, whether you want to or not."

I grin at James, "Yes! It will be a perfect opportunity for you to get to know everyone. You have to!"

James studies the desperation and passion in my face. He has to come; he'll really enjoy himself. And if he was worried about Matt and his drones, he didn't need to be. We'll look after him.

"Sure." James smiles pleasantly; I wrap an arm around his shoulder and half-hug him.

Jame's POV:
~~~Her arm is round me... and as happy as I am, I still can't stop thinking about the way she acted when Warren came over. She tucked her hair back again. I saw her reactions as soon as she looked at him. He's going blind? Come on, Ally! You can do better than that retard. Who wants someone who'll eventually be blind? He'll forget her face. I would never forget. NEVER. How could I? The little dip before the tip of her nose, the tooth on her left, at the top, which is slightly more crooked than all the rest. The groove in her chin. The shape of her long, elegant neck and the tenderness of those sweet hands. Oh, those hands...

And she winked at me. She keeps showing concern for me, giving me attention. Does she like me, or Warren? I am confused.

But wait...

What if she is trying to tell me something? What if she is pretending to be nervous around Warren, so that it will make me jealous? Ooohh, clever girl, Ally, but I'm already a step ahead of you. If you want me to notice, then I'll notice. I understand that you want me to make the first move. The traditional way, as men should.

I won't fall fast, though, Ally. I can't, not again. I'm afraid I'll be hurt.

But I'm still hoping. One day, to have you lying in my arms, with my hands all over your body. Smelling you, tasting you. There's a connection between us - there was from the moment we met at your house. It was fate. We're meant to be. But patience is a virtue... I need time.~~~