The Pros and Cons of Living

Part 1

Frank’s POV

“Well maybe if you didn’t act like such a fucking freak!”

“Hey! Aiden stop that right now!” Gerard shouted.

“What? She does, Dad. She’s goes around acting like a fucking slut. I’ll never make the team this year with her acting like—like a whore!” Aiden, my eleven year old son, screamed.

“If I ever hear you say anything like that again, Aiden, you won’t live to see tomorrow.” Gerard said quietly. “You apologize to your sister right now.”

“No.” Aiden said. “She does, Dad. I hate going to this stupid school. Ever since I started kindergarten, she’s always been there acting… acting… like you!”

“Aiden, go to your room.” I said quietly.

“I wish you two had never adopted me!” Aiden shouted. “You’re just two gay fags!” He turned and ran up the stairs.

Bella, my sixteen year old daughter, was blinking rapidly. Gerard hugged her tightly, brushing some of her dark black hair behind her ear. It wasn’t long before Bella was full on sobbing into his chest.

I sighed, sitting down. Aiden used to be so… so happy and nice… and now, he’s changed. Ever since he was about the age of nine. He got around some kids who I’m guessing talked trash about Gerard and I until Aiden believed it.

“I didn’t do anything to him.” Bella was crying.

“Shh.” Gerard said, stroking her hair.

“I hate him, Daddy. I hate him.” She cried. “He doesn’t want to be here anyway!”

Gerard hugged her again, kissing her cheek. “It’s just a phase, baby.”

“Well I want it to go away.” She sniffed, then walked out and into the back yard.

Gerard looked at me and smiled weakly.

“What’s gotten into him?” I asked, not able to smile back.

“I don’t know.” Gerard sighed. “I really don’t know.”

Bella’s POV

We have a small stable in the back of our house (we live in the sort of country in Canada) and I walked out there, wiping my eyes. I walked into the stable where my two horses where. I named them Ben and Jerry because I like Ben and Jerry’s ice cream.

“Hey guys.” I sniffed, opening the gate door and stepping into the stable. Both of my horses neighed and I reached over to pet them. Jerry nuzzled me and Ben began neighing. I always came out here when I was sad because these guys were a lot like my only friends. They were my only friends, really.

All thanks to Aiden’s crew, going around and bullying anyone who doesn’t have on the newest Polo shirts and the most expensive jeans.

Jerry kept on nuzzling me.

“I’m fine, boy. Aiden is just being mean again.” I sniffed, reaching for a brush. I brushed his coat, making him look shiny and silky. “I think Daddy’s getting annoyed. Daddy Gerard that is.” I laughed quietly to myself. Every time I yelled Daddy both of them would come running or yell, “WHAT?!” at the same time.

Both of them had had plenty of practice, being in a band called My Chemical Romance. They’d been in it since I was little and they adopted me when I was two or three. Apparently I was abused by my parents, but I wasn’t supposed to know that. That’s where they had come in.

I sat out there, thinking, for hours when I heard a knock. I turned to see my dad.

“Hey.” He said, coming in and sitting by me.

“Hey Daddy.” I said.

“I remember you named your first horse after Ray. I almost killed Gerard when he got it for you.” Daddy laughed. “I hated that horse.”

I nodded.

“Don’t let Aiden get you down, sweetie.” Daddy said.

“I don’t act like a slut. I barely talk to two people.” I said sadly.

“I know. Aiden’s just… I don’t know.”

“I hate him right now, Daddy.” I said. “I know you hate to hear me say it but I do. His friends make my life hell. And he laughs with them.”

“Baby, we’re trying.” He said, hugging me.

“I know, Daddy. It isn’t your fault. It’s his.”

“Maybe it is. But we’re still trying.”

Bella’s POV
A Few Days Later…

I came into the library during my Study Hall the next day and sat at a big chair, pulling out my copy of Interview With The Vampire. I heard a familiar laugh and turned my head to see Aiden and one of his friends at the back of the library. This kid he was hanging out with, though, was older than me which is more than a little weird.

Aiden saw me looking at glared, then looked away laughing loudly at something his friend said.

“Quiet down, boys!” The librarian called.

“Why don’t you tell her hair to quiet down?” One of the jocks laughed, pointing at me. I had red streaks in my hair. Ass.

“That was good. Now try saying it backwards.” I said, staring at him.

Aiden laughed, but I wasn’t sure if he was laughing at me, laughing because what I said was funny, or laughing nervously because I had spoken to anyone in the Elite Crowd. I couldn’t tell by looking at him.

“Down… quiet… to… why… Shit!” The jock glared at me. “Shut up, emo girl.”

I rolled my eyes and curled into the chair, opening my book.

“You’re sister’s an ugly slut.” The boy said to Aiden.

I stared at the page.

“I know. Try living with her.” Aiden said.

Tears filled my eyes. When we were younger he followed me everywhere. He was my best friend. My only friend. We would stay backstage at My Chem concerts dancing to the music with Brian and Howard, their managers.

I blinked rapidly. The only reason I was getting so emotional over it was because I was on my period, but still.

“And really, she isn’t my sister. Thank God I’m adopted.” Aiden continued.

“I would hate living with gay guys. I think all gay people should be burned.” The jock said.

I couldn’t bare to listen to it anymore and got up, quickly leaving the library. My eyes met Aiden’s though, and I gave him the dirtiest look I could muster.

I couldn’t even stay to hear his come back, I just needed out.

I went into a bathroom and dialed Daddy’s number. It read “Daddy Gee” on the display board.

“Daddy.” I sniffed when he answered.

“Hey, Anna. What’s wrong?”

“C-Can you come and get me? I don’t feel good.” I said, which wasn’t a lie. What that jock had said about gay people made me feel sick to my stomach.

“If you’re sure you’re sick, yeah.” He said, sighing slightly.

“Thanks Daddy. I love you.”

“I love you too, babe.” He said, before hanging up. I sat in the stall it was time for me to go back to my Study Hall. Within minutes I was dismissed to leave…

Gerard’s POV
A Few Min Later

“Do you need me to take you to a doctor or are you just feeling shitty?” I asked as she crawled into the front seat.

“Shitty.” She said, buckling her seat belt.

“What happened? I’m not mad you’re coming home early. You can tell me the truth.”

“Aiden’s friend said that… that gay people should be burned alive. I’m gonna be sick, Dad. Don’t start the car.” She said, then opened the door. She leaned over and made retching noises, but did not actually vomit.

I reached over and rubbed her back, sighing. Aiden had Anna more messed up then usual these past few weeks, but I knew she was on her monthly because she asked for ten bucks but wouldn’t tell me what for. And you know, someone has to empty the bathroom garbage cans.

After a while she sat up and looked at me.

“Baby, you’ve known since you were little that people say those things.” I said gently.

“I know.” She nodded, looking me in the eyes.

“Don’t let it upset you, babe. Cause it is never going to change.”

“Do you want me to go back to class?” she asked.

“No. Take a personal day.” I smiled.

She nodded and relaxed against the seat.

Frank’s POV

“How are you feeling?” I asked Bella, sitting by her on the couch.

“Crampy.” She complained, snuggling under her hoodie. She had on black pajama pants with skulls on them, a tank top, and my old Misfits hoodie. It might as well be hers though, because she steals it all the time. I don’t mind because I don’t wear it anymore anyway.

“Aww, my poor baby. Want me to get you some ice cream or something?”

“Skittles would be nice.” She grinned “I put more in our secret stash last night.” She was now whispering. She and I had shared a secret stash since she was eight. We’d only told ourselves about it and no one else knew to the day. When we’d run out we’d just stash it again, and we’d been running a little low lately.

“I’ll go get them now.” I said and went off to get a packet of skittles. I sat by her, we poured them in a bowl, and I made Gerard put in The Nightmare Before Christmas for us. He did and sat by us, on Bella’s other side. The Skittles bowl was on Bella’s lap and we watched the movie, all three of us occasionally grabbing a handful of Skittles.

We were half way through the movie when Aiden got home. He saw us all on the couch and glared, then made his way upstairs.

“How was school?” I called.

“Fine!” he said, and then his door slammed.

I felt a stab in my heart and sighed deeply, then ruffled Bella’s hair. At least I had one baby who loved me.

Aiden’s POV

I don’t really know why I’m so mean to Bella. At least she doesn’t go around pretending she’s someone she’s not. She’s like Dad—well, Gerard—in that way. She doesn’t take shit.

She just comes home and cried about it to her stupid horses or Dad.

Like I could go crying to Dad, telling him I like guys. Like I could say I felt bad for saying the things I say about him. To him.

Maybe they’ll get sick of me and give me away so I won’t have to live with guilt anymore. I’m not their baby anymore.

Who the hell is gay at eleven anyway?! Only me.

I wish Bella’d quit crying because it makes me feel bad.

“Aiden, phone!” I heard Dad call.

I picked the phone in my room up. “Hello?”

“God, I hate you’re dad.” Jake, my best friend whose going out for the Football team with me, said.

“I know.” I lied, laughing. “It’s awful.”

There was a click. Dad hadn’t hung up yet.

Shit.

Frank’s POV

“Hey Gee.” I said, coming up behind Gerard and sliding my arms around his waist.

“Hi, babe.” He smiled and relaxed against me.

“I love you.” I said, kissing down his neck.

He moaned quietly, closing his eyes. “I love you too.”

Aiden started walking downstairs.

“Hey, Aiden.” I said.

“Hello.” He said stiffly.

“Why don’t you come sit over here and let me talk to you?” I asked.

“Because I’m going out to meet Jake and Kyle.” He said.

“And you just forgot to ask us?” Gerard asked as the doorbell rang. Aiden headed towards the door, so did Gerard. “I’ll let them know you aren’t allowed out tonight.”

“WHAT? It’s Friday, Dad!” he shouted.

“I’m well aware of what day of the week it is.” Gerard said, opening the door. “Hi boys. Aiden isn’t coming out today.”

“Yes he is.” Jake said.

“Uh, I’m his father and I just told him he wasn’t.” Gerard said slowly.

“You aren’t his father.” Kyle said. “Aiden, are you really gonna listen to these two faggots?”

I looked at Aiden and saw something flash in his face. “Guys, I can’t go tonight.” He said, sending a glare at Gerard. He stormed upstairs.

“Fucking fags.” Jake said. “You should all be burned alive.”

Gerard slammed the door closed. I went up after Aiden, knocking on his door.

“What?” he called angrily.

I went in. “Hi.”

“What, now you’re gonna try your stupid make up routine? Mediation?”

“No. I’m gonna try to talk to my son and find out why he’s being such a… such an ass.” I said.

Aiden glared. “Maybe it isn’t your business.”

“You’re turning my house upside down. I think it’s my business.”

“It’s nothing.” He said, not looking me in the eye.

“Do you really hate me?” I asked quietly.

He met my eyes with his blue ones and blinked a few times. “Yes.” He said quietly, something flashing in his eyes again. “I do.”

I nodded, telling myself not to cry. “O-Okay, Aiden.”

“Sorry.” He whispered as I left the room.

I wiped my eyes and went to the kitchen where Gerard was angrily fuming on the couch.

Bella came into the house, beaming. “Daddy, I met the sweetest guy. His name is— what’d he do?” her face fell.

“Nothing, babe. What about this boy?” I asked, sniffling a bit.

“No. What did he do?” she asked.

“He’s just in a bad mood. What about the guy?” I asked.

“A guy?” Gerard asked sharply.

“Yeah. His name is Matt and today the jocks were picking on me in the library after school—I had to work on that English project, remember? Well, it kicks serious ass, Dad. I have an A for sure—.”

“What about the boy?” Gerard interrupted.

“I’m getting there, Daddy. God.” Bella plopped on the couch by him. “He’s got the sexiest eyes, they’re really deep blue.”

Oh lord. Here we go.

“And his hair is like yours, daddy. It’s long and black… only his is better, sorry.” She added. “And he’s tall and he’s pale…”

“What about the library?” I asked.

She snapped out of it. “Oh, yeah. Some kids were bullying me and he came up and told them to fuck off. He just moved here from somewhere and it was his first day. His brother wasn’t picking him up until later and he didn’t know his way to walk so I printed my paper—Wanna read it, Daddy?”

“Yeah.” I said.

“Anyway I showed him how to get to his house and then he walked me to the corner of our street—he lives two streets over. You can see his bedroom window from mine.”

“And how do you know which bedroom window is his?” Gerard asked urgently.

“He pointed it out, Dad.” She rolled her eyes. “And then he said bye and kissed me.” She sighed happily and sank down into the couch.

“I don’t like him. Kissing you already.” Gerard said.

“Gee, I was her age when you kissed me and we hadn’t been together either. Actually, I don’t even think we were together.”

“It was unspoken at that point.” Gerard huffed.

“Oh, I see.” I rolled my eyes. “That’s great, sweetie.”

“I know. And I’m meeting him tomorrow to walk to school together because he couldn’t remember the way.”

“Bullshit.” Gerard snapped. “Every guy has used that line five times.”

“You never did.” I pointed out.

“I never had to. You came to my house.” He said.

“True.” I said.

“God, I sound like a lovesick prep.” Bella suddenly moaned, laying her head on Gee’s shoulder. “I bet he doesn’t even like me, Daddy.

“Of course he does.” I said.

“No, I bet he doesn’t. I bet he wants a lay.” Gerard said.

“Did you?” I asked pointedly.

“Well, I wanted other things too.” Gerard answered.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. “Baby, I’m sure he’s thinking the same thing about you right this minute.”

“I know.” She smiled dreamily. “Well, guess I’d better go do my Algebra 2 homework.” She said and headed upstairs.

“I hate him.” Gerard said.

“We haven’t even met him yet. And he stood up for her.” I pointed out, sitting by him.

“You know what this means, right?” Gerard asked.

“Hell no. I am NOT giving her the sex talk.”