The Pros and Cons of Living

Part 2

Two Weeks Later
Gee's POV

"Shut up! I did not!" Bella shrieked, giggling.

"Yes you did. Admit it." I heard Matt, her boyfriend of two weeks, laugh.

I looked into the living room from my bedroom door curiously.

"Gee, quit spying. They aren't gonna go at it in the living room." Frank yawned from the bed, where he sat playing his guitar.

"I'm not spying." I said defensively.

"You are so babe." he said in a sing song voice.

I sighed and went into the kitchen. "Hello Matt."

"Hi Gerard." he said.

You're only supposed to call your girlfriend's dad by his name unless he tells you to! Which I did, but he should still call me Mr. Way. Just because he listens to MCR doesn't mean I like him or something.

"Daddy, Matt brought us donuts for breakfast." Bella said, grinning. "They're on the table." she got up and headed towards the bathroom.

Frank's POV
A Few Days Later...

Gerard was out with Mikey and Bella was out with Matt, leaving me alone with Aiden. He was in his room being quiet and I sat on the couch, debating whether or not to even tell him good morning.

Finally, I decided I was going to and made my way to his roof. He was sitting at his desk, face buried in his hands.

"Aiden, what's wrong?" I asked quietly, stepping in.

"Nothing is wrong." he said into his hands.

"It doesn't look that way." I sighed, sitting on the edge of his bed.

"Just go away." Aiden said.

"God damnit, Aiden! Tell me what's wrong! What did I ever do you to make you hate me?! Do you despise me being gay that much? Cause it's fucked up, Aiden. We raised you better than that!"

"No, that isn't it!" he snapped loudly, looking up.

"Then why do you hate me?" I asked.

"I don't hate you." Aiden snapped, looking back down.

"Baby, what's going on?" I whispered, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"I can't tell you. I... just can't." Aiden said, burying his face in his hands again and groaning in frustration.

"Aiden, you can tell me anything."

"So you can hate me?" he asked, looking at me with wide eyes.

"I could never hate you. Be very annoyed with you, yes. Wanna cut out your vocal chords, yes. Hate you? No, Aiden. What's going on. C'mere and sit by me."

He got up and sat by me on the edge of the bed, looking around his room. We sat in silence about five minutes before he whispered something.

"I think I'm gay."

"Aiden, I can assure you that no one in this house is gonna have a problem with that." I said quietly.

"I do! I have a problem with it and I hate it, okay? I'm sick!"

"Aiden, my God! What, is this another twisted way to start an argument?"

"No. I hate myself, Dad. I hate walking around acting like I hate gay people, I hate laughing when they call Bella a slut and tease her. I just..."

"Just what, baby?"

"I don't know." he groaned.

"And if anyone found out I'd never make the team, I--."

"Aiden, there are more important things than being on a football team."

"You were beat up all the time when you were my age, Dad. People knew you were gay." Aiden said.

"I was beat up. But, you know what? I don't care because I'm happy now and what are they doing? They're probably in debt to their fucking eyeballs. I couldn't spend 1/2 the money Gerard and I have if I tried. And that's after yours and Bella's college savings."

"Dad, that isn't the point."

"You have a very messed up sense of priorities, Aiden. I think you need to take Ron's advice."

"Ron?"

"Weasley, duh. Remember, Harry Potter? 'She needs to sort out her priorities!' Remember?"

Aiden rolled his eyes, but smiled slightly.

"Hey, look... I won't tell anyone, even Gee. But I think you should tell Gerard. And I think you should tell Bella you're sorry and not watch them be cruel to her. I also think you need to figure out who your real friends are, okay?"

Aiden nodded, sighing.

I hugged him. "Even if you are gay or aren't, it'll work out. But, by God, please quit being such an ass all the time."

"I'm sorry." Aiden said quietly.

"Ah, who am I kidding? Without the drama, my life would be boring." I grinned at him. "Just lay off Bella, okay? She's going through a tough time now."

"With what?"

"I can't really tell you, just like I can't tell her you're gay."

"Is she gonna be okay?" Aiden asked, looking at me with wide eyes.

"Like I said, lay off of her. And please don't ask her anything either, okay?"

"Dad, she will be okay right?"

"Yeah, she'll be okay." I smiled. "Come down and watch a movie with me if ya want."

"Maybe later." he said.

I went downstairs, put in a movie, and curled on the couch. Truth was Bella had recently been deemed clinically depressed and, much like Gee used to, she had began cutting.

Her brother being so mean wasn't helping matters, I was sure. And I knew Aiden would feel terrible if I told him what was going on.

Which is why I hope he'll quit so I don't have to tell.

Bella's POV

I was sitting in my room listening to Bullets when Aiden came in. I pulled my headphones off, tapping my feet to This Is The Best Day Ever, when he stepped closer.

"Just so you know, I'm sorry. I don't hate you and I'm sorry I let those guys be so rude." he said.

I stared at him.

"Bella? Do you forgive me or not?"

"Fine. Just go away." I said after a few minutes of silence.

"Bella, are you just saying that to get me to leave?" he asked.

"Yes." I said truthfully.

He came closer and sat on my bed. "I'm sorry, Bella. I really am. I'm just in... in something right now... and--what are those?"

"What are what?" I asked, following his gaze to my pill bottle. Shit.

"Those." he said, reaching to grab them.

"Get off!" I yelped, yanking them from him.

"Are those drugs?" he gasped.

"No, dumbass. They're birth control." I lied.

"Oh.... ew. Why are you on birth control?"

"Why do you think, doofus?" I snapped. Truth was, they were my antidepressants. But did he know that? No.

"God, you don't have to be such a bitch."

"What about a slut, huh?" I screeched.

"Hey, I said sorry."

"Sometimes saying sorry isn't enough, Aiden! Get out of my fucking room now."

"It's not like I give a damn. You aren't my sister anyway." he snapped, sending a knife through my heart.

"Get out, Aiden! Get OUT!"

Gerard's POV

"What in the fuck are you two on about NOW?" I asked, coming upstairs.

"She's freaking out! I was just trying to apologize!"

"Bullshit! So what, you can laugh about it to all your friends tomorrow? 'She's so stupid. She actually thought I was being serious.' 'I'm having a tough time.' Bull-fucking-shit, Aiden! Look at this and tell me you're having a hard time!"

Bella yanked her sleeve up to show several cuts and scars.

"Annabelle!" I shouted, running over. "What in the fuck were you thinking?"

"I dunno, Daddy. I just... I'm sorry..."

"Bella, after everything I told you... how could you even think this would help?"

"I don't know, Daddy. I just... it did. It does. And Daddy told me as long as I saw my therapist and tried to quit, he wouldn't tell you."

"Frank knew and didn't tell?" I asked quietly.

"Daddy, I told him not to tell." Anna said. "He wanted to, but... I asked him not too because I didn't wanna hurt you."

"Baby... are you getting help?"

"Yeah, Daddy." she said, glancing at Aiden. He looked horrified. "And Matt's helping me too, Daddy."

I nodded. "O... Okay... I'm gonna go talk to Frankie a few minutes." I said, then pulled her into a huge hug. "I love you, baby."

"I love you too, Daddy."

Bella’s POV

Dad left and I glared at Aiden. “Get. Out.”

“You… cut yourself?”

“Fuck off, Aiden. Go on and call your buddies. I’m sure rumors will be going around by time I even get back.”

“I… I’m sorry.” Aiden said.

“Look, it doesn’t matter what you say. It won’t change that tomorrow at school you’re gonna be an ass.”

“I won’t, Bella! I’m sorry.”

“Yeah well, I am too Aiden. I used to really like you.”

“I’m sorry!” Aiden pleaded.

“Whatever, Aiden. If it helps you sleep at night you’re forgiven. Now just go.”

Aiden sighed and turned around, leaving slowly.

Frank’s POV

“She made me promise not to tell, Gerard! What, would you rather have let it got so bad she accidentally killed herself?” I shouted.

“I just wish you would have told me that my own daughter was cutting herself!”

“What would it have helped, Gerard? So you could get like this? No. Look, she is gonna be fine, Gee.”

“Is she going somewhere? Is she…”

“She’s got her therapist and he knows.” I sighed, glad at least he wasn’t screaming anymore.

“Goddammit.” Gerard groaned, sitting in our living room. “Should we take her out of school?”

“Gerard, when she was six it didn’t help. It won’t help when she’s sixteen.”

“We can pay for home schooling.” Gerard suggested.

“No. She needs to be in school until we go touring. You know what the adoption agency said the LAST time we took her out.”

“Fuck them, Frank. Fuck ‘em.”

Bella’s POV

“Guys, leave her alone.”

I looked up to see Aiden pleading with three jocks.

“Why? She’s a freak.”

“C’mon, let’s get out of here.” Matt said, standing up and picking my bags up for me.

“Wait.” I said, putting my hand on his.

“Because she’s my sister and I’m sick of this bullshit.” Aiden said.

“So, what, you love her now? You’re one of them now? I bet you’re even gay like you’re stupid dads.”

I saw Aiden’s eyes widen momentarily. “Just leave my sister alone.”

“And what if I don’t?” the guy stepped up to Aiden.

“I’ll kick your ass.” Matt said, going up.

“Oh-ho, it’s Matt. How are ya, buddy?” The guy said.

“Jake, go fuck yourself.” Matt sneered.

“At least I don’t have to resort to that slut over there.” Jake laughed.

Matt punched Jake in the stomach. “Leave Bella alone or you’ll be sorry. If you’re alive to be sorry.”

Jake was keeled over.

Matt came back over to me. “C’mon, Bella. Let’s go home.”

“It’s lunch, Matt.”

“I don’t care. Let’s go.” Matt said, pulling me towards the door. “You coming, Aiden? I would, unless you wanna get the shit beat out of you at the bus stop.”

Aiden nodded came up to join us.