It's A Wonderful Life, Mr. Way

Underneath The Mistletoe

Sunday morning marked Christmas Eve, according to every calender on the east coast. Having stayed up late finishing the long movie together, Gerard and Andie slept just as late in his old bed in the basement in which he'd spent many years. When they finally came upstairs to the kitchen, still in pajamas, and both looking for coffee, Donna had breakfast on the stove, keeping it warm for the young couple. But she was already busy starting on the next meal, and was setting a large ham in a roasting pan.

"You two do know your dad's picking up your grandpa as we speak?" Donna asked, noticing their attire.

"Can we just have some coffee first?" Gerard whined as Andie elbowed him.

"You'd better be GOOD, Gerard," Andie teased. "Or you're gonna get coal in the morning."

"Whaaat? I'm good." He grinned mischievously, his back turned to Andie as he poured their coffee. But his mother saw him.

"Hmf. I know damn well you're ROTTEN, Gerard." Donna scowled at her son, the put the ham in the oven as Gerard handed Andie her cup of coffee.

"What time are we eating, exactly?"

"Six," Donna replied, now pouring herself a cup and joining them. "The ham has to cook for almost eight hours."

When Gerard went downstairs to get a shower, Andie snuck into Mikey's room to check on the little friend inside. He appeared to be sleeping peacefully, but she gave him some more food, just in case.

After her own shower, Andie helped Donna as they rolled out dough to make biscuits for dinner. Gerard had been visiting with his grandpa when he walked in and saw Andie with his mom. He only then realized that last year, on Christmas Eve, he never would have guessed things could be this good. And now...he would get to spend Christmas with an angel...in disguise.

Soon the two were downstairs together, preparing for the arrival of most of Gerard's family for their Christmas Eve dinner. Gerard wore a black sweater that zipped at the neck and some dark jeans, while Andie wore a silky black knee-length chemise dress with a tiny red cardigan sweater over it. But as she was applying that bright red shiny lipstick in the bathroom mirror, Gerard slipped his hands over that soft fabric at her waist.

"You know...this is gonna be the best Christmas ever." He smiled warmly over her shoulder at their reflection together.

"Oh I know." Andie grinned at what he didn't know. "And I know for a fact that Santa's coming tonight, Baby."

"And just how do you know that?" Gerard played along, then gave her his best mafia impression. "You got some connections I dunno 'bout?"

"Actually, I DID meet Santa yesterday..."

Gerard looked at her skeptically...before they heard the commotion upstairs. His great aunt and uncle had arrived.

"Geraaard??" That familiar, grating voice echoed down the stairs as Mr. Way gave Miss Redmond an apologetic expression. "Are you down there? Are you gonna come up here and say hello or do we need to come down there? Are you decent? Donna, are they decent? Do you know what they're doing down there? Do you REALLY know?"

"Jesus. Here goes nothin'." Gerard took Andie by the hand and turned to lead her out of the bathroom before he turned his head back to her. "After tonight, if you wanna leave this house, running down the street and screaming at the top of your lungs, never to return again, I just want you to know, I will understand completely."

"Stop..." Andie protested as they grabbed the gifts for Gerard's family to carry up the stairs with them.

Once upstairs, they were hardly noticed at first, as they put their gifts under the tree and waited for Gerard's Aunt Marie to finish lecturing his uncle about the fine art of placing a coat on a hanger.

The Romeros were an aging couple, in their early 70's. And, at least so far in our story, they lived alone, having raised a son, Vito, Sr., who was killed in an accident in his twenties, then their grandson, Vito, Jr...

Gerard's elderly grandpa appeared to be sleeping in the recliner, even with all the noise of the Romeros' arrival.

"Because, Lord knows, after 54 years, you'd think you would know by now," Marie continued until she noticed Gerard and Andie standing there. "Gerard! There you are. Show your Uncle Lewis where to put his coat. He thinks I'm his maid. And you must be Andie!"

As Andie nodded, Marie leaned to Lewis, knowing she could be heard. "She's a little one isn't she?"

"Aunt Marie," said Gerard with a frown. "We can all hear you."

"What?" asked Marie. "What'd I say? She IS little. Dear, you're little. How are you gonna have any babies with those hips? They'll get stuck!"

"MOM!" Gerard called for help as Andie brought her hand to her mouth, laughing.

"Marie, you're terrible," said Lewis, before he turned to Andie. "I'm sorry, dear."

Marie suddenly had a realization. "Lewis! I left the lasagna in the car."

Donna was walking into the living room at Gerard's request when she overheard her aunt. "Marie, I told you, you didn't need to bring anything. I've got a ham in the oven."

"Well, now you have lasagna," Marie said matter-of-factly before she rolled her eyes and lifted her brow. "You're just sore because your lasagna isn't...well...it isn't MINE."

"Aunt Marie, c'mon," Gerard tried to plead with her good side, whatever that was. "Mom's lasagna is great."

"But it's not MINE, Gerard," Marie said as she turned back to Andie. "So what do you do, dear?"

"I'm the band's stylist," Andie replied with a smile. There was something distinct in Gerard's Aunt Marie that she liked about the woman.

"Stylist? What does that mean?" asked a confused Marie.

After Gerard explained, very basically, what Andie did for a living, Donna saved the day, saying dinner was ready. But Marie only then seemed to realize that Mikey and Alicia were missing. So, once again, Don had to remind his wife's aunt that they were in Missouri with Alicia's family, as Mikey and Alicia had chosen to spend the opposite holidays with the family than Gerard and Andie.

They all sat around the Ways' dining room table as Aunt Marie blessed the food and as Gerard's grandpa sliced the ham with a carving knife. And after dinner, Gerard's grandpa, uncle, and dad were all going outside to "smoke a stogie", when he actually looked at Andie as if asking for her permission.

"What is that about?" Andie frowned as she spoke softly in his ear next to her. "Go if you wanna go, already."

As Gerard left the table, Marie, noticing Andie's whispering in his ear, naturally commented on this.

"You know, dear, it's rather rude to whisper in front of other people."

"Aunt Marie!" scolded Donna. "Quit picking on Andie."

"I'm sorry," admitted Andie. "I only told him he didn't need to check with me."

"You what??" Marie was aghast. "Oh dear, you ALWAYS want them to check with you...about EVERYTHING. That way they don't come with you to dinner at your friends' house wearing a plaid top and striped pants. Sometimes they don't know any better, you know?"

"Marie, you're scaring her," warned Donna.

"I'm just telling the truth, Donna," Marie smiled knowingly at them both. "So I hear you're coming to mass? Are you Catholic, Andie?"

"Yes. Well...I was born and raised Catholic, but I'm not practicing right now."

"OH." Aunt Marie obviously became skeptical...before Donna came to the rescue again.

"Neither is Gerard or Mikey, though," offered the Way mother.

"Well, good. You two can get married at our church then," Marie remarked, smiling as though it were already decided.

Andie was taking a sip of her water, and nearly choked on it, as Donna gave her a sympathetic look for taking such scrutiny so well.

After their Christmas Eve dinner, since the Way family was no different than any other, unfortunately that meant the women usually ended up in the kitchen, cleaning up the mess. But Gerard, only slightly reeking of cigar smoke, came in to help, leaving his dad, his grandpa, and his uncle outside to bullshit each other all they wanted. And Andie smiled at his valiant effort to maintain their own set of household standards; share and share alike.

In Gerard and Andie's rented home in Burbank, there were no boundaries of gender roles in their co-existence, whether it was a bedroom floor full of clothes, or cleaning up after a meal. Mostly, this choice was due to their hectic lifestyle. They only had a "normal" household on rare occasions; namely when they weren't on the road. So when those rare occasions came up, they took advantage of the normality of their state, and tackled most things together...or in their case, sometimes not at all.

Plus, Gerard honestly just wanted to be with Andie. It WAS Christmas Eve, and it was their first together. He wanted to make sure Andie enjoyed the holiday at his parents' completely...just like he always had. Besides, he could never be too sure what his Aunt Marie might say next. But when Gerard took to the kitchen chores, too, there was even less elbow room.

"Why don't you two go on?" Donna asked, trying to hide her frown at the crazy mess that was her kitchen. "Aunt Marie and I can finish up in here."

"Are you sure, Donna?" Andie double-checked as Marie smiled in approval, wrapping a bowl of leftovers with saran wrap.

When she and Gerard went into the living room, Andie couldn't help but feel the warmth of the season with this family. The mantle was decorated not only with the personalized stockings, but with lighted pine garland and red, cinnamon scented candles. A warm fire burned slowly in the fireplace, and the illuminated Christmas tree in the front window proudly displayed the handmade ornaments from Gerard and Mikey's childhood that Donna so cherished.

Since her own parents' divorce years ago, the Redmonds' Christmas traditions had always kept the celebration to a minimum, especially when it came to the decorations. But Gerard's family's warm embrace of the magic and wonder of the season, reminded her so much of the treasured Christmases of her childhood.

Andie felt at home here with Gerard and with his intimate family. And she was feeling very fortunate to have been invited into their home and into their lives. They made her feel like no less than one of their own.

The radio in the nearby dining room was still on, as an oldies station played nothing but holiday classics all evening. So Gerard and Andie stole the moment alone in the living room. He turned off all the lights, so that the room was only lit by the Christmas tree alone, and he walked over to Andie, who had disrobed the tiny red cardigan in the kitchen. She now stood before him in the soft, strappy black chemise dress that fit her form so well...as he extended his hand.

*Soundtrack: "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole*
Think Happy Thoughts Christmas Playlist 1

"Might I have this dance, Love?" Gerard and his faux British accent...that Andie was smitten with.

Miss Redmond grinned as she took his hand and he pulled her close to him in the Foxtrot's stance. They effortlessly began their learned dance to the sound of the nostalgic old Christmas tune.

She smelled like that sweet perfume that drove Gerard crazy...and he deeply inhaled Andie's essence. He regretted that she didn't have very many opportunities to dress up on the road with him and the guys. Because he knew this woman well enough to know that, sometimes, she thrived on those things. But it certainly made moments like this even more special, and he purposely moved them toward the hall doorway as Andie gazed lovingly up at him.

"I think you're right," she said with a smile.

"About what?"

"I think this IS going to be the best Christmas ever."

Gerard returned her smile as his eyes glanced up to the mistletoe above them. "Oh, look."

Andie lifted her chin to spy the greenery of which they were directly beneath, before she rose up off her heels to meet his lips with hers.

This was the same dance, in the same place, that the couple first danced together months ago. But gone were the pajamas, the platinum hair, and the newness of Andie getting to know Gerard's family. This time, the couple seemed slightly...elegant...and certainly familiar...as their relationship had matured so much over time. It was as if a transformation of sorts had occurred within them in recent months. And now, here they were, sharing this moment, on this quiet Christmas Eve night.

"I love your family," Andie said as she rested her head against his shoulder.

"I love YOU." Gerard replied before he slowly turned her in time to the music. "AND...I think your hips are just perfect."

Gerard's grandpa, his uncle Lewis, and his dad came in from outside through the backdoor to the kitchen, and took a verbal beating from his Aunt Marie for bringing the cigar smoke stench in with them. But as Don started into the living room to check on the fire, he paused in the doorway at the sight of his eldest son, with his new mature look and mature moves...who was so obviously in love with this young woman. He was truly proud of his son for many reasons. And as his parent, who had endured ALL of Gerard's many changes in his life, the one he saw in him now, perhaps made him most proud of all.

The young couple's stolen moment was over shortly after it began, as everyone piled into the dimly lit living room to exchange gifts.

"Why are all the lights off??" Marie was disturbed by this, for some reason.

"We were dancing, Aunt Marie," Gerard explained with a grin. "Didn't you and Uncle Lewis ever dance together?"

Marie looked at him accusingly. "OH NO. I know how you kids dance nowadays. Lewis and I would NEVER dance like that."

Gerard gave up, as it was a moot point, and he helped his mom disperse the gifts from under the tree. But as they were unwrapping them, a smiling Andie watched the scene before her as Gerard's loved ones talked and laughed loudly. When Gerard caught her out of the corner of his eye, he gazed at Andie, instead. He just had a feeling...that this would only be the first of many Christmases they would spend together.

When the commotion had stopped, wrapping paper and gift bags cluttered the floor as Donna stepped over it to put on a pot of coffee, and secretly check on Gerard's gift in Mikey's room. The caffeine would serve them well that evening, when later they would leave for the well-known church Gerard's family had attended for years.

But first, it was Gerard's tradition that Andie would now partake in..."Night of the Living Dead"...a movie he watched, ritually, every Christmas.

Later that night, both in warm, black, wool peacoats, Gerard turned the wheel sharply, alone with Andie in the front seat of his SUV, as they drove the short distance to St. Peter Roman Catholic Church in Belleville to attend its Midnight Mass.

"So this is where you and Mikey came as kids?" Andie asked, leaning her forehead against the cold window to see the huge stone facade church with its massive windows.

But the cemetery up the hill of the familiar church held Gerard's attention.

"Yeah, it is. Our grandma used to take us all the time," he replied as he turned off the truck's ignition and hesitated, taking a look around the property. "I haven't been here in years."

A concerned Andie turned her whole body to him, bringing her left knee up beside her on the noisy leather seat. "Baby...have you been here at all since your grandma passed away?"

Gerard shook his head as he turned to Andie in her red lipstick once again. "But I'm okay with it. I would've told you if it bothered me, Honey. It's weird...but it's like, coming here with you just seems like a completely natural thing to do."

Andie affectionately brought her hand to his soft, smooth cheek as he covered it with his own. And together, they walked hand in hand to the front steps, before they entered the gothic church. Gerard's grandpa, his parents, and his aunt and uncle were already there, all sitting together in a pew, saving some space for Gerard and Andie.

"You had us worried, Gerard," his Aunt Marie nagged him.

"I was right behind you guys, Aunt Marie..." Gerard blinked and smiled at her.

As they sang "O Holy Night" with the congregation, Andie stood next to Gerard, and she studied the stunning majesty of the chapel surrounding her. It had magnificent, stained-glass windows, powerful statues of the familiar biblical figures. And of course poinsettias and lit candles were everywhere her eyes roamed. The young couple then watched as Father Girone walked down the aisle at their right, swinging the burning incense can with the choir boys behind him.

It had been a long time since either of them had taken in a scene such as this. But both Gerard and Andie had attended mass so often as children, that the traditions came back to them out of habit once more, as they crossed themselves and recited The Lord's Prayer with the congregation.

"Sign of peace," Father Girone addressed the congregation as everyone greeted those around them.

Throughout the sermon, the young couple followed tradition, and knelt when they were to kneel, then sang the hymns, and stood for the scripture readings. And soon, Gerard was following Andie down the aisle to take Communion together with the congregation. But it suddenly felt surreal to him as he watched Andie, taking Communion at the same altar at which he had so many times as a boy.

"Body of Christ," the altar boy said to Andie as she took the bread.

"Amen," she responded.

"Blood of Christ," Father Girone said to Andie as she sipped the wine.

"Amen," she smiled at him and walked away as Gerard repeated the familiar ritual.

As they sat back down in the pew together, Gerard studied this woman he adored so greatly. And he felt a strange familiarity of being in this church again after all this time...only now with Andie by his side.

While neither of them were particularly religious, and both Gerard and Andie had misgivings about many of the Catholic teachings of their childhoods, they both wholeheartedly believed in God, and in the true meaning of Christmas. And sharing these age-old customs together that had been such a routine of their past, was something they never thought twice about sharing together. But they were both now undeniably glad they chose to share this, on this Christmas Eve night.

Andie looked down at her left hand as Gerard's right found hers, and he laced her fingers in his. She glanced over at him as he met her gaze with a sweet smile. And he squeezed her hand tenderly, before they both turned back to listen to the sermon together.

Soon Gerard and Andie were exiting the church into the brisk night air, both in their nearly matching coats. Andie hugged Gerard's left arm with both of hers, leaning her head against his shoulder, as he brought a gloved hand to hers. They met his family outside and hugged everyone as they said their goodbyes.

"I'm glad we did this," Gerard remarked, brushing his leather gloved hands together as they sat in the cold SUV, waiting as the engine warmed up.

"Me, too," said Andie from the seat next to him, bundling her coat together a bit tighter. "I hadn't been to a Midnight Mass in years."

"I know. Me either," Gerard replied, denting his brows at how peculiar it was that this felt right. He then shifted the truck into drive and looked over his left shoulder, before they pulled away from the curb. "So I guess we're not having a white Christmas this year...which sucks. I was hoping you'd get one. I know you haven't had one in years."

"Ah. I'm not worried about it." Andie shrugged as she looked out the window. The streets of Belleville were all but barren, as the town seemed to have shut down for the silent night.

As they stopped at a stoplight, Gerard glanced over at her, watching her blink slowly and stare vacantly out the window. "You're so tired. You'd better get to bed as soon as we get home...or Santa won't be able to come."

Andie laughed lightly as she perked up at the thought. "Haaa. Santa's coming. You'll see..."

"Sure, Andie..." Gerard pressed the gas pedal and turned back to the road as the light turned green.

But she was quiet for the rest of the drive, as Gerard had been correct in his assumption; Andie was exhausted. After they reached the house and descended the concrete stairs to his door, Gerard and Andie slipped into their pajamas and got ready for bed again. And soon, a fresh faced Andie was climbing into bed next to Gerard, clad in her footy pajamas next to his wolf-print pants. She then snuggled up against his warmth, though it didn't take her long to start dozing off.

"And to all a good night..." Gerard whispered as he kissed the top of her dark head.