It's A Wonderful Life, Mr. Way

This Old House Sure Is Lookin' Good

5 months after the wedding.

While Andie was in the shower Monday morning, Christmas Eve, Gerard scuffed across the tiled floor of their kitchen in his slippers, making a pot of coffee and calling his dad. Still in his pajamas, he checked on the new surprise member of the Way family, wondering if 'Dee' had been as much trouble for his dad as she had been the previous night.

"I tell you what," Don started. "I tried that whole clock in a sock thing Alicia suggested, but that didn't do a damn bit of good. She cried all night again. You're gonna have your hands full, son."

Gerard shrugged. What was he to do? He wondered if the pup might be missing her mama. He just hoped his dad wasn't too put out by her temporary stay with him, and thanked him again. But as he was hanging up, the doorbell rang. He answered the door, greeting his mother.

"Why didn't you use your key, Mom?"

"One; I didn't know if you two were decent. And two; I'm not taking any chances with that damn security system." She watched as Gerard shut it off for the day.

"Actually, we SHOULD be indecent..." Gerard teased, nodding his head to his mom. Then he looked toward that wooden staircase where his wife was upstairs in the shower, surely all wet and naked and stuff.

"Cool your jets, hot shot. And help me unload the presents from the car." Donna grabbed her anxious son's arm and headed back out the front door.

By 11am, the ham was baking in the oven, and Andie, in curlers, her Marines hoodie, and grey, drawstring knit pants, was placing rolls of dough on a baking sheet, as another pan baked on the oven's higher rack. Still in his pajamas, her husband came into the kitchen looking for trouble, and slid his hand around his wife's middle, finding her bare tummy with his hand, and her neck with his nose and mouth.

"Mmm...you smell good," Gerard grinned, nuzzling his wife's neck.

Andie rolled her laughing eyes at his affection, just before her mother in law came back into the kitchen, and became quite panicked.

"Oh my God! The rolls!"

Both Gerard and Andie turned to the oven...that was smoking. Donna was already opening it, fanning the smoke and reaching for a potholder to bring the pan of rolls out.

"Oh shit!" Andie exclaimed, completely in shock as Donna sat the pan on another potholder on the counter. "My goddamn rolls! Shit! They're ruined."

"Aw, maybe we can just scrape off the burnt part," Gerard tried, picking up one of the rolls to survey the damage, though it's underside was completely black...and smoke was rising from it.

Just then, the smoke detector went off in the hallway, for the second time since this particular couple had lived in this house, and both Donna and Andie stared at Gerard at his attempt to save the charcoal-like rolls.

"I hope everyone likes smoked ham," Donna tried.

As Gerard was starting a fire...in the fireplace...the cordless home phone rang on the coffee table in the family room.

"I'll get it!" he called to his busy mother and wife, that he was STILL trying to figure out a way to help in the kitchen. But for some reason, he couldn't keep his hands off his wife today, as her lovely behind was quite temping with those knit pants just clinging there at her hips and over her sweet cheeks. He wanted to squeeze those cheeks, actually. But more than once, he'd been banned from the kitchen for harrassing her.

"Hey, Gerard, it's Vito."

Having invited his distant cousin and his family to dinner as well, as they WERE fam'ly, Gerard had to wonder why Vito was calling now.

"Hey, Vito. What's up?"

"Look, I know you did a good thing for me back there in New Zealand, and I ain't too proud to admit that, ya know?"

Gerard could tell this was a difficult thing for his cousin to say to him, and, though, on the one hand, he didn't want to be so merciful, on the other hand, it WAS Christmas.

"Yeah, I know. Don't worry about it. It's over," Gerard said, hearing himself talking with that same accent as his cousin again.

Later that evening, up that winding driveway, the Ways' two story home sat nestled amongst the trees surrounding it, with it's single strand of all red, all C4 Christmas lights strung across the front, though barely visible from the road, looking quite peaceful and serene for a Christmas Eve. But through that festive front door, adorned with a pine wreath, past the white Christmas tree, decorated in entirely black and white and silver, was a gathering of family, amidst the lights and holly and garland...that was anything but quiet...as Andie's favorite Christmas tunes played on an XM Satellite music station from the living room.

*Soundtrack: "I'll Be Home For Christmas" by Tony Bennett*
Think Happy Thoughts Christmas Playlist

"Are you sure you know what you're doing with that thing?" Don asked his eldest son, proudly wielding his brand new electric knife.

Just about to slice the ham Andie had prepared...with some help from his mother...Gerard, in his black Armani dress shirt and a silver tie, turned to his dad with a sarcastic expression, as Andie tried to hide her smile.

"I don't think it's exactly rocket science, Dad."

"Gerard...you be sure and slice it thin now," Aunt Marie, who notably left her lasagna behind, requested. "I like mine sliced thin, you know."

"That never stopped you from eating a piece of ham before," Uncle Lewis pointed out blandly, getting a pursed-lip, nasty glare from Aunt Marie. "What? It's true! Fifty-five years, and not once have you ever turned down a piece of ham because it was too BIG."

"Yeah? Make mine thick, Gerard," Vito piped in, turning to his very red headed wife beside him with an unmistakable expression. "You like 'em thick, Babe?"

Phoebe blushed in embarrassment, as everyone stared at them both.

"Vito!" Donna frowned at him and his uncouth remark at their family Christmas dinner.

"Whaaat? She does," Vito shrugged, lifting his hands in feigned innocence.

Thankfully, his four kids, Sam, Zoey, Joey, and Benny, filling up the smaller kitchen table that had been crammed into the dining room as well, were none the wiser to his remark about...meat.

Gerard glanced at Andie, in that jeweled waisted, black, v-neck dress, smiling ever so proudly, thoroughly enjoying every part of his family's bickering. It was, of course, her family, too, now. But as the newest member...thus far in our story...she still managed to get tickled at how animated they all were when they were together.

"I'll take ANY piece..." Gerard's aging grandpa spoke up briefly.

"Yeah, are you gonna cut the goddamn thing already?" Don finally asked, watching Gerard staring at Andie...AGAIN...as his tummy grumbled.

"Donald..." Donna wasn't afraid to chastise him. Six months after their divorce, they still acted the same around each other...a little annoyed but no more than anyone else. But they both seemed content in their new lives...his mom even having dated someone a time or two. And their happiness was all that mattered.

"Don't curse, Don," Aunt Marie frowned. "It's Christmas Eve..."

Andie snickered, recalling herself earlier in the kitchen, and her own meltdown at the first batch of biscuits she burned...then Gerard, actually trying to salvage them.

Together with their New Jersey family members, minus Mikey and Alicia who were in Missouri, Gerard and Andie held their first Christmas Eve dinner...at the new Way house, in what they planned to be their own tradition from now on. Large enough to comfortably hold family gatherings, and less than an hour from everyone in Belleville, the house Gerard and Andie had just settled into, was the perfect place in which to hold this Way family tradition. And both his parents felt just as welcome there as they did in their own new homes.

After dinner, the men felt the need to follow the traditional stogey smoking outside, as Gerard grinned at Andie, kissing her cheek before he joined them.

"I'll be right back. I'm helping with the dishes. I promise."

With cups of coffee in hand, and pie in their tummies, the family gathered in the living room sometime later, passing around their gifts for one another...as Mikey and Alicia called to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

"Geraaard..." Aunt Marie studied his and Andie's Christmas tree. "Why is there so much black on your tree? And bats? Who hangs rubber bats on their Christmas tree?? Is that some kind of...cult thing??"

Andie snickered...as HER Star Wars ornaments weren't mentioned.

"That's just their style, Aunt Marie. Give them a break, will ya? They aren't hurting anything," Donna tried. "And it certainly has nothing to do with any cult."

But Aunt Marie gave Gerard and Andie a skeptical look, as they both turned to one another, giggling.

Leaving the mess of wrapping paper on the floor, the next few hours found the older folks relaxing in front of the TV, watching 'White Christmas', the old Bing Crosby Christmas classic movie, while Gerard and Andie, Vito and Phoebe, and the kids, all hung out downstairs in the rec room.

Andie and Zoey played each other at Andie's Dance Dance Revolution, and the eight-year-old was quite good. But when they stopped for a breather, Vito found 'Rush Hour 3' on Pay Per View, and she ordered it for their guests.

Gerard's cousin and his wife started the movie from the black sectional the Ways had since added to their rec room. This had been Gerard's suggestion for the large open space in which they intended to spend time with their friends. But Mrs. Way made her own contribution, of huge black and white photographs on the walls of Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, and James Dean.

As Gerard helped Joey build quite an elaborate house out of Legos, much to Benny's dismay, the youngster soon stood next to him on the floor, tugging at his sleeve.

"Heyyy...G'ard..." Benny whined, giving Gerard those big brown eyes.

Gerard looked up from the colorful house, wrapping his arm behind Benny's knees, and giving him his full attention.

"Whatcha need, Benny?"

Benny rubbed his nose and squinted hard, obviously a bit tired. "I wanna read a book with you, G'ard."

Andie, who had moved on to ogle Sam's Giants tickets with her, paused as she watched this sweet exchange between her husband and the toddler.

Gerard turned to Joey apologetically. "I'll help you finish it in just a little bit, okay?"

But Joey understood, and didn't complain as Gerard stood up, taking Benny and his book of choice out of the ones he'd just opened as gifts.

Sitting down at one end of the sectional sofa, as far from the TV as possible, Gerard lifted his arm as Benny automatically climbed onto his lap. He opened the book, 'Goodnight Moon', and started reading to the toddler...who quickly relaxed against him.

"Goodnight comb. And goodnight brush. Goodnight nobody. Goodnight mush. And goodnight to the old lady whispering, 'hush'."

By 10:45pm, the family members all piled into their vehicles, as Benny continued to sleep, even in his carseat, driving to Belleville for Midnight Mass at St. Peter's. Gerard and Andie, in warm wool peacoats, slid into their black Lincoln Navigator, and made the mistake of pulling onto the highway behind Uncle Lewis in his 90's model Ford LTD...consistently driving 5mph UNDER the speed limit the entire way.

"Ah...we're never gonna get there," Gerard complained as Andie played with the stereo, switching it to XM Radio's channel 104; Classic holiday hits. "I'm just gonna fucking pass him. Is that rude?? To pass your own uncle on Christmas Eve??"

"Baby, calm down. And don't pass him. What's the worst that could happen? So we maybe walk in a few minutes late?" Andie bent her left knee up onto the large seat. "It's not like anybody's gonna shun us...turn us away."

"You never know!" Gerard gave her wide eyes, ever teasing his wife. "They're hardcore, those devout Roman Catholics."

*Soundtrack: "O Holy Night" by Celtic Woman*
Think Happy Thoughts Christmas Playlist

Reaching St. Peter Roman Catholic Church just before midnight, Gerard placed his leather gloved hand at the small of Andie's back, as he led her into the familiar church. Seeing several people who had also attended their wedding, Andie smiled warmly as she greeted them with her husband. They settled into the pew with the rest of the family, as she turned to him, recalling last year, and her first time visiting this church.

But what he noted, were here her eyes, reflecting that spark she still held there for him. And took her hand in his, as Father Girone, with the choir boys in tow, came down the aisle, swinging the incense can.

Gerard and Andie stood with the congregation to sing along with the well-known hymns, his hand still in hers, and they took in the sight of the poinsettias and candles around them, so very different than the roses and cala lilies of their wedding. Soon they were taking communion, lined up single file with their family members. Father Girone smiled at them both as they approached him after the alter boy, Andie ahead of Gerard.

"Blood of Christ," he said to Andie.

"Amen," she smiled back at him, feeling she knew the priest much more personally this year than last, and she walked away, leaving Gerard to do the same.

"Blood of Christ," Father Girone said to Gerard.

"Amen," he said, staring a moment into the clergyman's eyes, as he was solemnly reminded of that struggle with his own faith recently.

But Father Girone touched his arm, somehow...maybe...sensing that there, and only smiled and nodded encouragingly.

Gerard took Andie's hand in his again as he joined her in the pew. And while a great deal of the rituals of the church were ones they neither one put too much importance on, as they both still considered themselves non-practicing Catholics, on Christmas Eve, the traditions just seemed fitting, almost comforting in a way. But to Gerard, who had dealt with so much conflict in this respect lately, in that moment with his wife by his side, there was something very different about it than last year.

Doing these things with Andie, was the most natural thing in the world to him. And as they crossed themselves, then knelt to pray together, he glanced at his lovely wife, grinning at her as he caught her eye. She smiled back at him, wrinkling that cute little turned up nose and flashing her icy blues at him for staring at her during the prayer.

As the service ended, Gerard and Andie joined their family members outside, everyone hugging and wishing each other a merry Christmas, when Gerard pulled his dad aside quietly.

"So you'll be there first thing in the morning, you sure?" Gerard watched Andie carefully to ensure her attention was elsewhere. And it was. Aunt Marie was going on about how different she looked...and obviously trying hard not to mention her hips again.

And it was true. As both Gerard and Andie had made grave efforts to improve their health over the past few months, their 'plan', Andie had toned up her already slender figure. And Gerard, himself, had lost so much weight, those rumors continued to circulate...that he had been abusing drugs again. However, at this particular point, Gerard thought that rumor was comical, as apparently it was overlooked that he GAINED weight when he was abusing drugs years ago.

"YES, I'll be there," Don reluctantly agreed, though he would be glad to rid himself of the slight burden finally...and get a good night's rest. "What time?"

"Is nine too early?" Gerard gave his dad a pleading look, then glanced over at Andie again. "I really want to do this before she wakes up."

She started over to both Way's with a smile on her face.

"Yeah, yeah. That's fine."

How could Don NOT want to help Gerard surprise this sweet girl on Christmas morning?

*Soundtrack: "Winter Wonderland" by Hellogoodbye*
Think Happy Thoughts Christmas Playlist

As they headed north again for the nearly hour-long drive home, Gerard glanced over at Andie in that dress, her thigh somewhat exposed, as she even had room to cross her legs in the front seat of the Navigator. But even after waiting patiently for her affection nearly all day, what he noticed most, was that she was dozing off.

"Nuh-uh...don't you do it..." he warned her with a grin.

"What? I'm good," Andie tilted her head back against the seat as she gazed at him, bringing her hand to the back of his neck, and his oh so soft dark hair. She could lose her fingers in there, kissing his neck...if she weren't so exhausted from the very long day. "Don't worry. I didn't forget."

But Gerard already knew...she'd never make it through the entire movie.

Sure enough, an hour later, they reached their house, pulling into the garage and closing the door behind them. Leaving the Christmas lights on both outside and on the tree, Gerard started another fire, before Andie snuggled up in front of him, and they spooned together on the sofa in the family room.

They curled up in their pajamas, his, those wolf print pants and that holey long sleeved tee, and hers, those zip-up footy pajamas, and started the DVD of now Andie's tradition as well......"Night of the Living Dead".

As they watched one of his favorite movies, and a custom he used to share with Mikey, Gerard curled his arm around Andie's middle, again, wishing he could get past that zipper to her bit of soft skin there. But he was more content in his life than he had ever been. So many things had finally come together...The Umbrella Academy's 4th issue had just been released, they had a more relaxed touring schedule over the past few months, and now, here they were, in their own house finally...and able to share it with their family...and their friends who would come over tomorrow.

Andie, too, was in a place where she felt they could finally relax. Having helped accept a VMA for Rihanna's 'Umbrella' video, AND completed her role in shooting Avril Lavigne's 'Hot' video in September, the months that followed were a breeze, as the new video was released, and she helped the techs on tour. She'd even started planning another video in her spare time...though it didn't quite have a band yet, much less a song.

And now, more than ever, Gerard and Andie were ready to have a child...if God was so willing as to bless them with such.

Andie held Gerard's arm close around her, and he was so soothing, so comforting. Even with the zombies on TV, growling for brains to devour, she found this late night Christmas Eve had taken more than it's share from her, as she dozed off next to her hsuband.

When he heard Andie's steady breathing not twenty minutes later, Gerard knew she was out. He brushed her hair off her forehead, kissing her there by his chest. But he was okay with her missing the movie, AND with him missing out on her affection yet again that day...so long as she slept past nine.