Headfirst for Halos

House of Wolves: Part One

You’re a goddamn, motherfucking, yellow-bellied weakling! I woke up cursing my weak mind and body. I forced myself up, out of bed, and into the main hallway. I ran around trying to find Gerard, but I couldn’t find him. I found the cook in the kitchen— weird I know. I found out he’d left on important business.

“He was so mad! Must have been Michelle, he really should stop pushing his brother; it’s like to give him one of those moments he’s apt to get. He was in one last night, had the whole staff in an up roar. Sit, sit there’s no need for you to be so formal. You must be starved! Let me whip something up for you.” The kind cook was pretty in a maternal way. She bustled about talking on, just to make noise I’m sure, but it was comforting in a way that was both familiar and strange.

I sat down on the hearth enjoying the warmth of the fire and the smell of soup cooking. Not really knowing why I wasn’t more worried…or why I could smell and hear everything clearer.

“That brother of his,” she said shaking her head. “Downright barbarian in king’s finery he is. I’d’ve thrown him out centuries ago. Oh, don’t look so shocked dear; believe you me—Master Gerard is one of the most civil vampires in the community. There you are, tuck in!” She handed me a bowl of warm…something to me.

“What is it?” I said it was salty and good after these strange days…and the seemingly long ago memories of rain slick streets.

“Grits! Master Gerard brought some extra help ‘round the same time he brought you here. One of ‘em’s a southern girl. Makes it when one of the staff gets depressed, seems to give ‘em some cheer.”

“It does,” I said smiling around a mouthful of food. She smiled and continued with whatever she had been doing before I walked in. After a while people started filing in, most looking sleepy.

“Hello hunny,” said a brunette who walked in. “My mom’s recipe’s good, huh?” I could only nod and smile shyly, she laughed lightly and made a big cup of coffee. She talked fast; I had to really think about what words required which noises to understand completely.

“Lola’s taken ill again,” she said to the cook. “I keep telling you she’s pregnant, twins by my reckoning. Neither you nor Master Gee listen to me, I can hear one giggling and the other crying each night—I’m going insane.” I stared at her in shock. The others didn’t seem to notice.

“Well, Ms. Know-It-All,” cook demanded turning to her. “Who’s the father? Or is that beyond your strange sight.” The girl laughed and gestured to a red faced boy around my age if not younger. His face got impossibly redder as he hid behind his hair and food.

“Lil’ Tommy of course,” she said smiling. She winked at me. “Don’t worry love; I’m no vampire…at least not a full one. I’m a witch with a few…quirks. So there’s no real need to fear neither me nor any of us for that matter. Master Gee likes to collect humans and vampires of unique abilities, yourself included I’m sure. Anyway,” she turned to the cook. “I’ve been given new orders as well as Ice and Roddy.” She turned to me and smiled warmly.

“What?” I asked half afraid of the answer. Her head tilted as she stared at me curiously.

“Well, we have been assigned to protect and help you in any way.” She said gesturing to the red head and another brunette with bleached gold bangs. “We’re to tutor you and what not when Master Gee’s away on business. We’re also supposed to teach you defense. Being a Jewel means you will be sought after your entire life.” Her eyes darkened with the serious tone. “Don’t worry, it’ll be mostly fun.” I looked up and saw her smiling, but for some odd reason that was less reassuring than it should’ve been.

“...Kay,” was all I could say.

“How do you like it?” she asked cleaning her mug. “Different huh?”

I stared at her. “Like what?”

“Oh my gods and goddesses, you haven’t realized have you? Hunny, you were half turned after you were bought; I’m amazed you haven’t noticed.” She nudged the red head who handed her a mirror, she tossed it to me. I could see it travel and it struck me just how slow it was moving, my hand automatically rose to meet it…and caught it—as if it had never left my hand. I stared in shock. I couldn’t catch anything that was tossed to me...well, I couldn’t before. I glanced into the mirror and froze.

The eyes that greeted me were their normal color, but had a sharper glint to them. The scar above my eyebrow had vanished, and my skin was paler than it had ever been before. I tried a smile and was met by small, but pronounced fangs. I carefully put the mirror down, not really wanting to see myself anymore.

The Red Head smirked and whispered something to the Blonde. I couldn’t figure out which one was which. Thankfully, I soon found out the Brunette’s name.

“Syn,” said the cook. “How the hell am I supposed to get anything done with you guys gone? You’re my best workers out of the new lot.” Syn shrugged.

“Take it up with Gee. You ready hunny? We’ll get started today.” I stood slowly and followed the three out.

“Ummm...” I said. “Which one is which?” The three stopped in surprise.

“I’m Ice,” said the red-head. I nodded slowly. I figured with all that had happened—slow was a good pace.

“Roddy,” He did a funny little wave that made me smile a little. Syn kept walking stopping halfway down the hall and looking around. We caught up to her as she sighed to herself.

“Damn,” she murmured. Suddenly she sat down and started chanting something. I looked around uncomfortably, and then a door appeared to my left. I jumped away and accidentally bumped Ice. I mumbled a sorry as I was ushered—and might I add forcibly—through the door.

I stood in awe.

The room seemed to have every fighting device ever built under the sun. Syn walked in last and she seemed different, then I noticed that Roddy and Ice did too. I waited for them to explain.

“What do you want to begin with?” Ice asked. “Normally we would start you with theory and what not, but these are desperate times—desperate times call for desperate measures.” I nodded, unsure what she was talking about.

“What should I start with?” I asked. I hadn’t lifted a hand against anyone; I was in unknown territory...yet again, and damn-it-all if it wasn’t getting annoying.

“Hmmm,” Ice murmured. “I would start you off with learning and controlling the aspects of being half-vampire. You have improved senses and reflexes. Syn can teach you the ways of any fighting style you will be learning, but for now Roddy and I will be testing how well you do with a few basics.”

“Anything specific I should know?”

“A Jewel has unforeseen gifts outside of normal vampiric abilities, we aren’t sure what yours is. We’ll find out sooner or later.” She shrugged and led me over to a huge matted area. She paused at the edge while Roddy walked onto the mats. I followed him to the center and stood awkwardly waiting.

“Well,” Ice said suddenly, making me jump in the silence. “Try something.”

“What the fuck am I supposed to try?”

Anything!” She snapped. “It takes a lot more than you would think to kill us.” She gestured to Roddy and my jaw dropped open in a combination of horror, fascination, and fear. He was on all fours and his back kept twisting and distorting itself as hair grew all over and his face morphed into that of a dog. Within five minutes there stood before me a giant werewolf. I was so sure I’d piss myself any minute.

“Geez, maybe a little warning for the guy, huh?” I didn’t dare look away from the creature in front of me…until it grinned in a feral way and sat down on its haunches. I blinked and couldn’t help but think that the scene was the funniest one I had ever witnessed. I collapsed with laughter, tears burning my cheeks as my sides cramped helplessly.



I flopped on to the couch and groaned at how soft it was. I gave a whole-hearted prayer of thanks to whoever decided soft places to rest were necessary.

My whole body felt beaten and swollen, although they had promised I wouldn’t even show a bruise. Every heart beat throbbed throughout my body, my muscles shrieked in protest at being forced to move.

I gave in to the darkness eagerly and knew nothing else.



“—still say you were to tough on him,” said a hushed voice to my right.

“He’s alive isn’t he?” This voice gruff and resentful at the accusation. Roddy.

“Wonder when he’ll get up…he’s been sleeping for so long,” The first voice said a little closer to me soon followed by an almost too strong smell of earth and herbs—Syn. I groaned and turned away, trying to bury my nose elsewhere. Not that she smelled bad, but whatever herbs she had handled recently stunk to high heaven.

Someone laughed softly and the door opened and closed.

“She’s gone now,” I peeked through my lashes and saw Ice and Roddy lounging on the couch opposite me.

“She forgets what she smells like sometimes,” Roddy muttered waving his hand in the air in emphasis of his point. Ice rolled her eyes and handed me a bowl of something that smelled like it had been barfed up from the bowels of Satan himself. I gagged and tried to hand it back.

“You’ve gotta drink it kiddo,” she said refusing to take it back. I must have made a funny face since they started laughing at me. “I know it smells horrible, and I’m warning you now it tastes a hell of a lot worse, but all the pain will go away in a heartbeat.” I looked at the sludge dubiously—if it tasted worse wouldn’t it be poisonous? Acting before I could think I downed it and almost threw it back up.

After I finished gagging and had been reduced to the occasional disgusted shudder I realized it was dark out. “How long have I been out?”

“Ummm….about three days or so, you really are weak,” Roddy said looking at me with a mixture of disgust, concern, and curiosity. I stared at him, vainly hoping he was joking.

The door opened behind me and all my senses were suddenly attuned to whoever had just walked in. Instinctively I knew it was Gerard. I turned and looked at him and was thankful I was standing.

His clothes were askew and he was breathing heavily. His usually neat hair had fallen into his wild eyes. In two steps he was kneeling in front of me, I squeaked and fell off the couch in surprise. I heard Roddy snort as he and Ice got up and left.

“Are you okay?” his voice was full of pain and worry.

“I-I’m fine…although I think Syn poisoned me,” He blinked in surprise and he started shaking—took me a minute to figure out he was laughing. Suddenly I was on his lap in an iron embrace that was continuously crushing my rib cage.

“Gee—too—tight—c’nt—br’th—” with a gasp he released me. I saw spots in front of my eyes for a good three minutes. I felt him fussing over my clothes and my hair and trying to coax me into breathing again. When I could breath and the world stopped spinning, I realized just how close we were.

My breath caught as I felt him tense—obviously he had just noticed as well. My heart sped up and the corner of his mouth twitched. His eyes fell to my throat before looking away completely. He slid me from his lap and stood—I could only assume to leave. I reached out and my fingers brushed his sleeve. His pause was brief and almost indiscernible, but he continued out the door.

The world came back in a rush as the door clicked shut. I realized with a start that I was crying. I lost my temper with myself and—
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I know I left you at a cliffhanger. I really do hate them, so it's my first. ^^'

Chapter Four is becoming way too long, so I had to divide them, especially for what I've got in store. It would probably seem too daunting all on one page.

I should have it up by next week, but I have three/four papers due in rapid succession so I'm not making any promises.

Enjoy!

P.S. THANK YOU iRain!!!