The Adventure

Sucking up to the Boss?

After the final bell rings, I take the bus home. I was glad I didn't have anything to do after school. I was bushed. I really do wish I had my license. And a car. That's would be great. Then I wouldn't have to walk half a mile down my street in 10 degree weather with snow blowing in my face after I get off the bus.

I walk in through the garage door, as usual, and I hear mom on the phone... as usual. I swear, that phone is glued to her ear. From what I can tell, she's talking to Keith, my step dad.

"The boss?.. Oh, no, that would be great! When?... This Friday? Hmmm... OK. This is great, Hun! Congratulations! You get back to work, I'll talk to you later... Love you, too. Bye." I only caught part of the conversation, but I could partially guess what it was about. I decided to ask anyway.

"What was that about, Mom?" I asked, interested.

"Oh, hi. That was just Keith. He thinks his boss is going to give him a promotion, so he asked him over to dinner on Friday." She replied.

That's a little weird. We barely ever have company over. The house is always "too messy." That usually means there's things to be vacuumed and laundry to be put away and some of Kevin's toys are on the ground. Kevin is my 7 year old brother. Half brother, actually. Keith is his dad.

"Oh, that's... cool. Kinda like sucking up, right?" Well, basically that's what he was trying to do. She didn't answer me. I only assumed that Jaime (my 21 year old sister), Kevin, and I would be busy all week with chores to make the house sparkle. Or the parts of the house that Keith's boss would be in. How fun. I decided I should start now before Kevin got home and would be in the way.

The thought of company was kind of a shock. I mean, we only have actual guests over during the holidays, and they're usual just family members. I guess this was really important to Keith.
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise, this is where it starts to get good.