The Adventure

Unexpected Guest.

The next few days were normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. I woke up against my own will, went to school, and went home. I did go to a Film Club meeting on that Thursday, though. We worked on our script for a Zombie movie we're filming. I'm not the greatest script writer. Everything sounds so bland from my point of view. That's pretty much all I did that week. Like I said, nothing out of the ordinary.

But, as usual, I looked foreword to the times in between classes when I got to stand next to him for a mere two seconds to get my books before I had to head back to class. I wish we had at least one class together. Then that way I could see him more and try to strike up a conversation. But like I've said before, I missed my chance three years ago and it's the one thing I regret the most.

I head home, do my chores of cleaning the house before Keith's boss has dinner here, and practice. Not only do I practice my keyboard, I practice my guitar. I've played the guitar since I was 12. I take pride in my calloused fingers. I play whenever I feel like, and I always feel like it.

Friday finally arrives. I decide to put on a nicer shirt after school for dinner. "So, when is this guy gonna be here?" I ask my mother.

"Um, maybe around 7. And it's not just him. It's his wife and son, too." She replies. Great, more guests to entertain.

"What's for dinner?" I ask, making sure it wasn't too casual, if Keith was trying impress his boss.

"Chicken, corn, salad, mashed potatoes." Mom lists. Hmm, wonder how that will go.

Checking the house to make sure that every toy is in its place and all the cats are in the basement, I take a seat at the keyboard. I open up my book of Chopin and pick Prelude in E-Minor. It's slow enough for me to take my time, and I can actually keep a steady tempo. Feeling proud that I can actually play it through in a decent amount of time, I keep at it, playing it over and over, keeping the feeling of the music with me. I keep the world closed off around me, staying in my own head and on the page of music.

I don't know how many times I play it, but I finish the song once again. I breathe in and relax in my seat a little.

"Oh, dear. That was lovely!" A voice calls to me. I didn't notice that anyone had come in. A turn my head quickly to see that my mom, Keith, Keith's boss, his wife and son are all standing there.

A wave of shock washes over my face once I recognize his face...