The Adventure

Lipton.

All I can do is sit there and stare. I cannot believe that he's here, in my house, right in front of me. My mouth hangs open and they just stare back.

"Elizabeth? Hellooo?" My mom tries to snap me out of it. The boss's wife turns her head at the same time to my mother.

"Huh? Wha-?" I shake my head, coming back to reality. I feel my face flush with embarrassment.

"Oh. You're an Elizabeth, too." It was just then that I realize that his mom and I have the same name. I vaguely remember her face from when she helped out in 8th grade home-ec.

My Mom and Mrs. Darsbrook continue along with a conversation while I try OT keep my eyes off of him. I feel his eyes on me the entire time. My body is locked up, staring down at the keyboard, trying to not be afraid of this beautiful creature that I know I can't continue on without. I try my hardest to relax and to breathe normally. Surely he's noticed, he hasn't stopped staring at me since he walked in. I can feel his eyes burning a hole through me, but why won't he look away? He has no reason to be looking at me for tat long. I wish I wasn't so terrified to return the gaze.

After a moment of trying to act normal, I decide I should look back to him so I don't seem rude. What kind of a host would I be if I ignored my company? It wouldn't hurt, really. I mean, how much time would I have with him in this moment, in my house before he leaves, only to return to pretend to ignore each other at school? I slowly turn my head and meet his gaze and at the very moment, I was entranced by his bright green eyes. I never wanted to look away. Only if he knew that. Only if he felt the same way for me as I felt for him. Our eyes are locked, there's no doubt about that, and I can't help to think that his eyes hold so much emotion. How I wish that were true.

The corner of his lips turn up into a small smile, as if he knew what I was thinking. I feel relieved and not as intimidated. At least it wouldn't be as awkward tonight as I thought it would be five seconds ago. There was a possibility that we would actually get along and possibly start a conversation. There were a million things going through my head all at once, but all focused on the possibility of having my second chance that I've been praying for.

"Biz," my mom gets my attention, pulling me abruptly out of Ian's trance. "why don't you get drinks out of the garage for them while I set the table?"

I hesitate for a second, clearing my head. "Um, OK." was all I could manage to mumble.

"I'll just have water." Mrs. Darsbrook says while I get out of my seat. I nod, then turn to make my way to the garage. A brief moment passes before I hear footsteps following me. I'm too shy to turn around, but I already know who it is, of course.

I pass the first set of stairs that lead to the master bedroom and my brother and sister's rooms. Then the TV room, downstairs bathroom, back closet, and the stairs that lead to the apartment. Out house is split-level, and the "apartment" is where we have my sister's and my computer and my room, right above the garage.

I open the door to that garage and the door squeaks. I leave it ajar for Ian, who walks in not a second after me. I gain up all the courage I have to at least make some noise come out of my mouth.

"So... um, we have Pepsi, grape juice, ginger ale, Capri sun, lemonade, and green tea. I think." I was surprised I manage to list all of that.

"You love green tea." I turn to him, my eyebrows raise in wonder and question. How did he know that? "You drank it everyday at lunch last year." Sophomore year was the last time I had a "class" with him, lunch. Luckily, I sat with friends who sat across from his group of friends, occasionally keeping an eye on him. My friends and I would bring in candy once a week and throw it at him and his friends, feeding them like the teenage boys the were. I had never noticed he had taken a mental noted of my choice of beverage.

It slowly becomes easier and easier to deal with the situation of his presence being here. "Well, yeah. I do. I'm like, addicted to it." I reach down and grab a bottle and he does the same. We chuckle at ourselves and walk back inside to the kitchen, where dinner is almost prepared.

It just kicks in that he is actually here. I have the ability to change my future into the way it's supposed to be, just because of this one night. I smile to myself, knowing of all the possibilities that could occur after tonight, if tonight goes well.

And so far, it was going well...
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, the possibilities.