Honey, I'm Your Daddy.

Two.

I walked over to the couch slowly, still unsure if all of this was happening. I sat down with a thud, me never being quite graceful. Gerard turned his head to me.

“So, what happened to you?” Mikey said, right next to me. I was sort of squashed in between them. “Well, I was walking, and, well, a car turned around the corner I was on, and splashed all this water on me. It was really cold.” I said, taking a breath. Then I added, “Sorry for bothering you like this, I can go if you want”, I said, starting to get up, but Gerard grabbed my arm, and pulled my down softly, saying “Please, stay?”. “Uh, sure” I said.

“So, how old are you?” Gerard asked. “13” I said. “And your parents?” Mikey asked, next to me. I turned to face him. “Well, they kind of know I went out. I left them a note, at least. And they aren’t my parents, they are C and C. I’m, well, adopted.” I said. “Oh, I’m sorry. What happened to your parents?” Mikey asked. “I’m not really sure, actually. C and C are always, well, passed out. They never told me. I never really get a chance” I said, tears coming to the surface of my eyes. “I could guess a good idea” I heard Mikey mumble under his breath, while Gerard said, “I’m so sorry”, and rapped his arms around me. I graciously fell into him, and started crying. I don’t know why, I never really cry. I kind of ‘grew’ out of it when I was younger, being that I cried almost everyday from C and C drinking too much.

His hug was inviting, warm, and friendly. It was mostly perfect. He just kept patting my back until all my tears were dried up. I moved out of the hug, and he followed. “Thanks” I said. “It’s all right, we all cry sometimes” he said. I looked down at my hands, something I usually do when I get shy, or just don’t know what to say. I realized I was still in the towel. “Uh, can I go change into my clothes?” I asked Mikey. “Oh, yeah, sure” he said.

I got up and headed to the laundry room. I pulled my warm clothes out of the dryer. I changed into them, and threw my towel into the hamper that was near the washing machine. I walked back to the living room, and just stood in the doorway, unsure of what to do. Everyone was staring at the TV, except for Gerard. He seemed distant, as if he was thinking about something. After a couple of seconds of standing there, Gerard looked up and realized I was in the doorway. He smiled, got up, and walked toward me. “Feeling any better?” he asked. “Way better, and super warm” I said. “Uh, do you know what time it is?” I asked. He looked down at his watch. “Its 5:30”. Oh my god. I left this morning, and it was already this late? And C and C were about to go out for their drinking hours soon. At 6 PM. “I really have to go” I said, heading for the door. I yelled, “Thanks for having me!” and ran out of the house.

I was down the block when I heard someone run up next to me. It was Gerard. “Why did you leave so fast?” He asked. “ C and C, my adoptive parents, are going to be going out to drink soon. It’s the only time they think clearly, right before they leave. They’ll get really pissed if I’m not there” I said, quickly. “Oh” he said. “Well, you mind if I walk you back home?” He asked. “Nope, not at all” I said, smiling at him.

We walked in silence for a few minutes. Then, Gerard asked, “Have you ever wondered who your real parents are?”. I looked at him, debating if I should really talk to him about this. After a few seconds of thought I said, “Yeah, mostly every day”. “You know, I was adopted for awhile” Gerard said. “Really?!” I asked, in shock. “Yeah. Up until I was about your age. But then I started searching for my real parents. I finally found them. I started talking to them on the phone, and eventually they wanted me back. There was this big lawsuit, but they got me back. I was sort of in the same situation as you”, he said. “Wow” I said, not able to think of anything else to say. “Yeah” he said.

I looked down at my feet, and the up, looking ahead at the street. I realized we were approaching my house. After a few steps, we were at the house. I stopped. “Well, this is my house” I said. “Oh” he said, with a big of a sad expression on his face. After a few seconds of silence, he asked, “Can I maybe have your cell phone number? And I’ll give you mine? You could talk to me whenever you, or hang out. Maybe it’ll help with your adoptive parents?” he asked. “Sure” I said. He pulled out his cell phone, and I gave him my cell number. Then he did the same for me. “Well, talk to you later” I said, heading for the door. “Yeah, bye” he said. When I was almost in the door, he said, “And trust me, things will get better in awhile”. I turned back to him and said “Thanks”, showing a small smile.

I walked into the house and went to my room. I was pretty tired. I sat down on my bed, first. Then I laid down. I stared at the top of my ceiling. It had all my friends hand prints on it. I did it when I was nine. My friends and I bought home cans of paint, dipped out hands in, and just put them on my ceiling. It was pretty fun. I thought about all my friends, and how much fun we had, until C and C came into my room yelling at us. Of course, they were drunk.

After a while of thinking, I drifted off to sleep. My dreams, full of hate for C and C, love for Gerard, my hero.