Broken Glass and Bleeding Hearts

Chapter Sixteen

I stood in front of the mirror staring at the girl who looked too much like me for my personal preference. I could have ran and hid in a dark corner, had there been one in this damn place, and pretended to be invisible. Nope that wouldn’t work, I was too noticeable. I could have ran back into the changing room and change into my clothes. Nope I wouldn’t be able to out run my aunt and my mom in these shoes. Not without seriously injuring myself anyway.

“Aren’t they just the cutest dresses you’ve ever saw?” My aunt Angie practically squealed as she clapped her hands together.

“There are no words aunt Angie. No words.” I responded through clenched teeth.

“So is Matt going to be your date for the wedding?” My mom asked with a still cheery tone of voice. Of course she was happy, she didn’t have to wear one of the god-awful dresses that I did.

“No!” I jumped far too quickly. He was never, and I repeat never, going to see me in the thing that was covering my flesh at the moment.

“Why?” A puzzled expression came over my aunt’s face.

“I uh think him and the band have show out of town that weekend. I think they are playing Chain Reaction or something like that.” I hoped that they couldn’t tell I was lying about it. The guys might say they were playing a show if I begged them enough. I hope.

“Well why don’t you get another date? Just for the wedding? I’m sure that Matt won’t mind if you explained to him.”

“I’d rather not. I wouldn’t feel right.”

“Well okay I guess,” She pouted for a second knowing that I would refuse to dance with anyone except Matt. “Maybe we should add some more lace?” She turned back to the tailor with the question. I rolled my eyes and held back the groan that threatened to escape. Yep, no way in hell was Matt ever going to see me in this thing.

“We could, if you’d like. But don’t you think it might be a little much for a wedding?”

“Well I’m not sure. Do you think they are a little much now or is my love of frilly things clouding my judgment?”

“With my experience dresses like this get in the way a little more often for the bridal party ma’am.” I could have hugged the lady who just might save me from this thing.

“Do you have any designs for plain ones of the same color?”
“I have a few already made actually. Would you like to see?”

“Oh yes!” And again with the clapping. I felt like flinching back at the sound of both the clapping and the squealing. I felt like I could easily sink into one of the plastic chairs in this place and fall asleep. Staying out until 4 a.m. with the guys hadn’t been the best idea, especially not since I had to be here so early.

“Follow me.” The lady motioned for my aunt to follow her and my mom stood up.

“Can I go change?” I almost begged.

“Of course! But you’ll have to try a few more on probably!” I hated my aunt’s words. It felt nice to get back into my jeans and tee shirt. I replaced the hat on my head before walking out of the changing room. The hat that was bothering everyone.

“Why are you wearing a hat like that to a bridesmaid dress fitting?” They’d both asked when I walked downstairs. The answer was simple, it was Matt’s. I’d stole it sometime last night and adjusted the size. Matt hadn’t said anything so I planned on keeping it until tonight when I’d see him again.

I sat down in the plastic chair to wait and closed my eyes. Finally it was quiet. Now if only it could stay this way. There had been a few good points of the week since the nightmare that had made me cry. The first was that I’d only been having nightmares every other night and they were back to the original form. The second was that Angelica had left Matt alone at school all week.

It was now early December and a few things were rapidly approaching. Once was Christmas, which I was looking forward to as always. The next was the two-week Christmas break from school, that I was also looking forward to. Then there was the winter dance at school, which I was not looking forward to at all.

My aunt’s wedding was set for just a little over a month away so here I am. She’s trying to get me into a dress that she likes but so far I wish that I could shred each and everyone that she’d picked out. I felt like I was about to fall asleep when they returned with more dresses. My aunt had another one of those overly happy looks on her face.

“Try this one on!” She trust another fluffy pink on into my hands and I walked to the changing room. I had to admit that this one wasn’t as bad as the previous on but I still hated it. I hated the next one too and the one after that.

Eight pink dresses later she’d finally settled on one. It went down to my knees and the skirt flowed outwards making it still be poofy. The only plus side was that it wasn’t as covered in lace and satin that I looked like four pink marshmallows, I only looked like two now. There was still no way I’d get within 100 feet of Matt wearing it.

“Where’s Aunt Angie?” I asked walking out of the changing room. She hadn’t went off to find another dress had she?

“She’s trying hers on now.” My mom answered. I sighed in relief and sat down.

“Good, I thought she might have changed her mind again.” I temporarily forgot about the vampire hearing and meant to mumble this to myself, but then I heard my mom laugh.

“So is Matt really playing a show with the band? On such a convenient date?”

“Yes, yes he is.” I hope that the band magically lands one for that date, or Zacky magically decides that they are going out of town.

“Uh-huh. Alright then.” I knew she was going to change the subject, I could see it in her eyes. “So have you tried out any fighting?”

I knew what she meant. She simply meant had I tried vampire fighting and with who? “Nope. Can’t say I have.” The thought crossed my mind quickly and it made me feel horrible. I needed to start practicing, especially since Angelica was appearing in the nightmares every time. The part that made me feel horrible was that I’d stopped telling my mom everything and this time I’d said nothing.

I mean she was used to me leaving out details when I snuck out with the guys or any other information I withheld in the previous years; most of which revolved around whatever plan the guys had. But this? This wasn’t some little rebellious teenage thing that I was up to anymore. Had I even told her that Matt and I had shared blood? I knew she knew, but had I actually told her about it.

“Maybe you should try. I’m sure Matt or Star would be more than willing to agree.” A grin stretched across her face, probably thinking of all the times the 3 of us had wrestled in the back yard when we were little.

“I-I think I will. I’ll call Matt when we get home.” Matt would be better to practice with, he was stronger than me and he’d understand that it wasn’t just a game. Not only that we’d always been more competitive with each other for whatever unspoken reason. Foreshadowing the future maybe?

“Good choice sweetie.” I nodded my head and then looked out the glass front of the shop and at the street. I suddenly didn’t feel like talking anymore. For the rest of the morning time passed slowly and I was feeling the need to talk to Matt as soon as possible when we walked out of the shop.

The car pulled up to the house and I released the seat belt. I knew my mom and aunt were going to continue on their day of shopping, which in a way was better for me. “See you two later. Have fun.” I told them before getting out of the car. Once inside I grabbed the phone and sat down on the sofa to call Matt. I decided to try his house first.

“Hello?” His mom answered after a few rings.

“Hi!”

“Hi Ellie! I’m sure you want to talk to Matt so I’ll let him know you are on the phone sweetie.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem.” I waited for a moment and then I heard another familiar voice come on the line and smiled.

“Hey Ellie! What’s up”

“I just got home from my morning of hell. Can you come over?”

“Yeah. Is something wrong?”

“No. Nothing is wrong.”

“Okay well I’ll be there in a few minutes.” After hanging up with Matt I sighed and relaxed into the soft sofa. I knew that someone would bring up the fact that I’d said the band had a show the day of the wedding and it would bite me in the ass, but hey I could still hope. I really didn’t want Matt to see me in that thing, ever.

It was about 15 minutes later when the knock came. I knew that if the door was unlocked Matt would have just walked right in, but since it wasn’t I had to open it. A smile spread across my face the second I opened the door and saw him standing there. “Hey Matt.”

“Hey Elliebear. What is going on?” He kissed my cheek and I pulled him inside.

“I want to try something?” He got that cute confused look on his face as I spoke. “I want to try the whole vampire fight thing. Come on.”

Now here we stood in the back yard facing each other. I had my arms crossed over my chest and so did he. “Ellie do we have to do this?” He asked finally.

“Yes.”

“I don’t want to hurt you.”

“You are just afraid that you’ll get your ass kicked by a girl that’s all.”

“I’m not afraid of getting my ass kicked by a girl Ellie.”

“Then prove it.”

“Fine. Maybe I will.” Matt lunged and almost took me down at first. Somehow I managed to slip out of his grasp before hitting the ground. He however landed with a thud on the grass. I giggled a little bit as his face turned.

“You’ve gotta do better than that Matt.” I allowed my vampire abilities kick in which allowed me to run incredibly fast around the yard.

“How about this. For one of us to win the other has to either surrender or we have to bite them.” I raised an eyebrow at Matt as he spoke.

“You’re on. I’m gonna win.”

“Oh sure you ar-” He never got to finish since I ran up to him and pushed him down while knocking his legs out from under him. “Damn you.”

“Ha ha I told you that I was going to kick your ass.”

“I’m shaking.” Matt jumped to his feet, taking me with him. “I’m stronger and you know it Ellie.”

“But I’m sneakier.” I knew he was about to tackle me to the ground so I moved closer. Standing this close to Matt I felt short as I had to look up slightly to see his face and eyes clearly. “And I have something you don’t.” I pouted and batted my eyelashes at him innocently enough.

“That is not fair in the slightest.” He groaned looking away. I stood on my tip-toes and did it again making him groan again. He was a sucker.

“Who said I was going to be fair? You are stronger so I need a weapon of my own.” A laugh escaped his lips and he turned on me, taking me down to the ground in a swift motion and flip. “You asshole!” He was hovering over me so I slid my way out from underneath him and hurled myself onto his back.

“Its not my fault that you are easily distracted.” Matt told me as I jumped to my feet and retreated to the other side of the yard.

“I’m easily distracted now huh? All I have to do is pout, look cute and innocent, and bat my eyelashes for good measure and you don’t know what I’m doing.” I put a foot forward and sprang halfway across the yard, taking him to the ground.

“That is not true Ellie.” he pushed me off and retreated to the other side of the yard. I took the opportunity and jumped onto a low, strong, branch of the backyard tree. “I remember when you never would climb that thing.”

“I’ve grown. And I’m braver now.”

“That you are.” I saw that glimmer in his eye and knew what his next move was going to be. I watched and saw as his feet started moving, bringing him to the tree. Just before he jumped onto the branch I jumped off and circled around so I was behind him.

“You’ll have to do better Matt.” And then I took him to the ground with a laugh.

“You are enjoying this too much.”

“I can’t help it!” Then he changed it around so that he was hovering over me.

“Do you surrender yet?”

“Let me think about it.” I looked for an escape and saw it. I could knock his arm out and roll away quickly. “Never!” I acted and it worked. I was about to pin him to the ground when he jumped up.

“That isn’t going to work.” I stood up and pouted.

“A girl can try.”

“Don’t pout.”

“Fine.” I waited for a second and caught him off guard taking him to the ground. “Do you surrender or must I bite?”

“I guess you’ll have to bite.” I rolled my eyes and moved my lips to his neck. I lightly kissed where they landed before I spoke.

“I win. So how does if feel to get your ass kicked by a girl?”

“Not as bad as I thought it would. But then again it is you.”

“Thanks Matt, thanks.”

“Go ahead, I don’t care.” I rolled my eyes again and took in the delicious scent of his blood. As tempting as it smelt I didn’t feel like biting him, so instead I sat back in the grass. “You know I would have done it if this was the other way around.”

“I know you would have.” Matt sat up and smiled at me. I leaned in and kissed his lips quickly, knowing what he wanted. “There.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to all the awesome people who leave me such nice comments! And to bloody-plauge for the banner! And to marriah_undead who always leaves awesome comments and is just really awesome! Thank you!!
If you want to read a really amazingly awesome M.Shadows story then click here!

I hope everyone likes this one!! ♥♪♫Bat Shadows♫♪♥