Broken Glass and Bleeding Hearts

Chapter Two

“How was school today?” My mom asked as I got into her car after school that day.

“It was the same.” I watched as Matt got into his truck. I wasn’t sure exactly how much more of this I could take before I broke. I needed to talk to him. I had to talk to him. I needed a plan.

By the next day my anger was boiling over. I was tried of not knowing what the hell he was doing, or who he’d become. So with my anger keeping me motivated I walked into homeroom knowing that I was about to do.

But Matt didn’t get there until 2 seconds before class started. So I took out my notebook and wrote a note that I sat on his desk as soon as he sat down.

I’m sick of you and how you have been acting since your birthday. I want answers. Now.

You don’t want to know the answers.

Yes I do. Now either you tell me, or I will embarrass you in front of everyone. You know I’ll do it. You know I will Matt.

I can’t explain, not on paper

Why not?

There is too much.

Okay fine. Meet me at taco bell at 5 tonight. And explain everything then.

This is a mistake Ellie, believe me.

Whatever. Be there or else.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw him stuff the piece of paper in his pocket and look back towards the front. He didn’t look happy now, and I wasn’t sure the emotion on his face. I don’t think I’d ever saw him like that.

That day Star and I took our normal seats for lunch and began talking. “How do you know he will even show up?” She asked.

“I threatened to embarrass him in front of everyone. He’ll show.”

“You have an evil mind.”

“But I only use it for good. You wanna come tonight?”

“Come where?”

“To meet Matt and get some answers.”

“Nah I think I’ll pass. If a fight breaks out I don’t want to have to listen to you two argue. It could take all night for you two to agree on anything.”

“I don’t know if we will ever agree on anything again.”

“Ellie cheer up! Please? How about we go get a catapult and some pigs?”

I laughed before we both blurted out “Flying pigs!” Then I saw Matt with the rest of our former friends. Zack, Brian, Jimmy, and Justin. Zack was the only one who still spoke to us and the others were just like Matt.

The rest of the day my mind kept wondering back to what could possibly happen when I met Matt to talk to him tonight. Like always I could think of two million things that could go wrong so I was forced to push thinking about it out of my mine. I went home like always and then walked to the taco bell that wasn’t far from my house.

Matt was waiting by the door when I arrived and we went inside, got some food, and found a table in the corner. But while we ate there wasn’t much talking at all, which wasn’t that comfortable. Three months ago it would have been perfectly fine, but now it was awkward.

But finally we couldn’t put it off any longer. So I began. “So do you hate me now or what?” I decided to spare us both the small talk.

“Ellie like I said, it’s complicated.” Matt sighed looking away.

“No it’s not. It is a yes or no question. Do you hate me?”

“No. I could never hate you.”

“Alright then, what the hell happened?”

“I wish I could explain, but I can’t.”

“Yes you can! Why is it one day we are best friends then the next its like we don’t know each other?”

“Because they said I had to leave you alone!”

“Who?”

“Them”

“Damn it Matt! Who?!”

“I told you!”

“Damn it Matthew, I want names! Not they or them!”

“I can’t give you their names. My parents tried but it doesn’t change things.”

“So much for trusting each other.”

“Ellie I don’t want this.”

“I miss you.” The words were hard to force out.

“I miss you too Ellie.”

“Let me know if you change your mind.” That is what I left him with. I knew I wasn’t getting one of my best friends back, but I felt my hopes getting up. So I just left. I couldn’t bear to have my hopes lifted up only to have the brought back down again. I wouldn’t allow that to happen.

When I got home my mom asked how it went, and I gave her the short version not wanting to have to repeat the painful conversation over. Then I retreated to my bed room to check my email. When I went to my inbox I was a little shocked. There was a message from Matt with the subject as “I’m Sorry.” I opened it.

Ellie,
About tonight I’m really sorry. I never wanted it to come to this and if I could explain then trust me, I would. But I can’t because of the rules. Remember what I am about to tell you, please. Something happened, or is happening I should say, to me. I’m changing Ellie. But what I’m having to do for now isn’t permanent. Things will go back to normal, well kinda normal, soon. I promise. But please don’t hate me for this. Please.
Matt

I don’t know how long I sat there staring at my computer screen, completely confused. But it was a long time because by the time I snapped out of it my mom had went to bed. So I tried to find a clue in his email for hours after that but came up with nothing.

So because of my distraction the night before I ended up over sleeping by an hour, which caused me to choose between a shower and breakfast. I picked a shower and grabbed an apple when I left, so my hair was still wet when I arrived at school and I was almost late for homeroom. So I had to tell Star everything between classes.