Broken Glass and Bleeding Hearts

Chapter Twenty-Six

I stood there in shock, trying to process this, looking at how much the person in front of me had changed. He barely looked like the person I’d saw only two years before, he seemed so completely different now. “Dalton what are you doing here?”

“I was in town and wanted to see you. Is it a bad time?” I stared at Dalton in shock, not sure what to think. It had been so long since I’d last saw him and now he looked so different that I could hardly believe it. He smiled sheepishly at me and started to turn around to leave.

“Get in here! I’m just in shock, that’s all. Wait, why are you in town anyway?” I grinned at him and stepped aside to let him inside. I made sure to close the door behind him before running to the couch and sitting down.

“Well Dad came down to borrow some money from Grandma and visit for a while. I wanted to come see my favorite person in the world, due to how boring they are.” I cringed at the word Dad, hoping that he wouldn’t notice. “Sorry Ellie, I forgot.”

“Nah its cool. But I’m not your favorite person in the world, I can’t be.” As soon as I noticed that he was looking around the room I felt suddenly unhappy. If he noticed the new pictures then he’d ask, and I’m not sure if I felt like explaining anything right now.

“Are you sick or something Ellie? You looked really tired, especially compared to the pictures. Is that New Years of this year?” He pointed to the picture that sat a top of the stack that my mom had just gotten developed.

“I’m just tired, that’s all.I haven't been sleeping that well lately. And uh yeah it is,” I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. “Don’t laugh alright? I was trying to well, I’m thinking of the best way to put this, look better than this other chick.”

“Well I think that you look really pretty. I hope that doesn’t sound sick or anything. Do you always wear jeans?” I laughed and nodded my head yes. “Is that Matt?”

“Yeah. We’re actually dating now.” I smiled at the word and carefully took in Dalton’s reaction.

“I always knew you two would end up together. Although it does make it slightly different to look at the pictures from when you were four and passed out on the floor back to back.” I narrowed my eyes at him and shook my head, making him laugh.

“Says the guy who was like two at the time.” The laughter died out and I rested my head on the top of my knees, sensing that it was coming.

“I’m really sorry about what happened to you Ellie, it wasn’t fair. Does it bother you?” Dalton lowered his voice as he spoke, slightly fearing my reaction.

“We go through this every single time we see each other. Stop apologizing okay? This is how life works alright. He walked out on my mom and I, he didn’t want us. We’ve done just fine all this time, and we will continue to do just fine.”

“I’m sorry for bringing it up. I really didn’t mean to upset you.”

“You didn’t do anything, I didn’t mean to snap. Its just like that okay? Its not like you got it that great anyway, he has dragged you all over the country and allowed you to fend for yourself most of your life. The truth is we got jinxed. We have a horrible dad. Well I have no dad and you have one who doesn’t care. The difference is I still have my mom. I’m still really sorry that you lost yours.”

A silence finally fell over the us as we lost ourselves in thought. It had finally hit me about the glass of water, and it made me want to know. “Do you want me to leave?”

“You might as well stay for dinner, my mom should be home pretty soon.” As if on queue there was a knock on the door. “I doubt that is her but you never know.” When I opened the door I was met with the grin of Jimmy, and a chuckle from Matt.

“Hello Ellie!” Jimmy practically sang, throwing his arms around me immediately.

“Well hello Jimmy.” I laughed and let him go before he ran into the kitchen. Matt smiled and rolled his eyes at his best friend.

“Hi Elliebear. Sorry to just drop by like this but Jimmy really wanted to see you.”

“I’m glad you guys stopped by. I always love to see you two.”

“There is some weird person sitting on your couch Ellie! Intruder! Call the cops!” Jimmy yelled suddenly, pointing at Dalton and trying not to laugh at the expression on his face. My younger half-brother turned to look at me with a look of pure horror on his face. Matt and I couldn’t help but burst into side-splitting laughter at the sight.

“Jimmy he isn’t an intruder, that’s Dalton.” Jimmy’s eyes clouded over as he poked Dalton on the arm repeatedly. “What are you doing now?”

“I’m poking him. What does it look like? I’m seeing if he is squishy and soft or hard and muscled. He is in between.” I sat down laughing at the pleased expression on his face.

“Ellie your friends are odd.” Dalton whispered at me, making Jimmy grin fall when he heard it.

“No they aren’t! They are just better than everyone else’s friends!”

***

“Ellie can you go grab the rest of the groceries out of the car please?” My mom asked as she walked in, before noticing Matt, Jimmy, and Dalton. “Hi Matt, Jimmy. How have you been Dalton?” I didn’t hear his answer as I walked outside, followed by Matt.

“Is he in town?” Matt asked in a hushed voice as we grabbed the remaining grocery sacks. I knew that he was avoiding using his name for my benefit, and I could hear the anger burning in his voice.

“Yeah, he needed money. I don’t know how long he’ll be here though, before you ask.” Matt nodded to himself, obviously not wanting me to see how angry he really was that the thing was in town. “You don’t need to get mad about it Matt. It really isn’t that big of a deal.” He closed the trunk and followed me inside.

“We are ordering pizza and the boys are staying for dinner. Do you want to invite Star?” Dalton was standing in the kitchen door way and Jimmy was seated at the table as my mom informed Matt and I of the plan.

“I talked to her earlier and she must have been busy because she had to go. So while the pizza is being ordered and on its way I’m going to take a shower.” I turned and started to walk out of the kitchen.

“No Ellie! Don’t leave me alone! I don’t wanna be all alone!” Jimmy yelled as thunderous laughter broke out in the kitchen.

“You aren’t all alone genius, you are in a room with three other people!”

“But what if they aren’t real? What if they are ghosts or pigments of our imaginations and you are the only other real person here? What are you going to say to that one?” I joined in on the laughter for a few minutes before I answered.

“You have issues Jimmy! Everyone is real, I promise!” I turned my shower on before I grabbed my favorite pajamas and clean towels. The warm water was nice and extremely relaxing after the events of today.

By the time I got out of the shower the mirror had fogged up and the air was thick with the scent of my shampoo and body wash. After getting dressed, pajamas in place of clothing of course, I quickly brushed my hair and walked out of my bathroom.

“Go fish.” Jimmy said the second I walked into the kitchen. Seated at the table was Jimmy and Dalton, apparently they were playing go fish. My mom was talking to Matt on the other side of the kitchen.

I didn’t bother asking anything I just headed straight for the fridge to grab a soda. I had just taken a sip when I suddenly remember the glass of water that had been waiting for me when I’d woken up this afternoon. “Hey mom did you stop by here on your way to the store and leave a glass of water on the table?”

“No sweetheart, I asked your aunt to do that for me.” I felt extremely relieved knowing who had placed it there for me, so I took a seat at the table to watch the go fish game.

“Yes! I knew I’d win!” Jimmy jumped up ten minutes later, incredibly thrilled with himself. As he celebrated his win there was a knock at the door. Matt was already heading towards the door as I grabbed the check and went with him.

An hour later we were all spread out in the living room, stuffed full of the two large pizzas we had devoured. “I’m so stuffed.” I complained, earning a grunt of agreement from Dalton.

“We shouldn't have went for that last slice.” Matt mumbled, grinning over at me.

“You rock!” Jimmy directed towards my mom, making the rest of us laugh.

“Well thank you Jimmy. Okay I’ve gotta run over to your aunt’s place for a while Ellie so I’ll hopefully be home before it gets too late.”

“Okay I’ll see you later mom.” The second the door closed I let out a groan of disappointment. My Aunt’s wedding was only days away, and I was extremely happy for her, but I would have to wear that god-awful thing for hours.

“What is wrong with you Ellie?” Dalton asked with a small laugh, curiosity burning in his voice.

“Ellie here is a bridesmaid for her aunt’s wedding on Saturday. She despises the dress she has to wear more than words can even cover.” Matt laughed, gently pulling my closer to him. The plus side was my aunt had suckered my mom into being Maid of Honor meaning she’d be wearing one too.

“I want to light it on fire.” Jimmy jumped up and grinned down at me, fishing a lighter out of his pocket, flicking it to life.

“Gimme!” I reached my arms out and my fingers, fully knowing that I looked like a four year old. Jimmy handed it to me, laughing uncontrollably. “Yay! Right so I broke Angelica’s nose today.”

“Go Ellie! Did she cry? Did she scream? Get up and dance in celebration with me!” Jimmy yelled, bouncing up and down.

“When?” Matt asked with a smile of satisfaction.

“Today after school. I was pissed off and she just made it worse, so I punched her. To answer you question Jimmy, no she didn’t do either. I’m too full to dance with you right now. Try again when I’m not so stuffed.”

“Tomorrow should be interesting then, she is going to try and get under your skin even more than usual. You might need to rearrange her face more thoroughly.” I laughed at Matt’s statement and nodded in agreement. It was a possibility.

“Well we shall see. But right now can I talk to you alone in the kitchen?” I sat up and watched as he nodded in agreement. We moved to the kitchen and I lowered my voice. “The rehearsal dinner is tomorrow night and I don’t want to have to sit alone. Would you be willing to come with me?”

“Ellie why do you think that I wouldn’t?” Matt didn’t wait for my answer, instead he pressed his lips to mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pressed myself closer to him. Jimmy and Dalton were still talking in the living room so we were safe for the moment. Matt’s arms tightened slightly around my waist as I felt his tongue slip into my mouth, making me move further out of reality.

Then there was the whistle.

“Jimmy will you go away?” Matt practically growled, narrowing his eyes. I decided to let the boys settle this one for themselves and hid my face against his neck. The scent that radiated through his skin was far more than tempting, I could feel myself losing control.

“I’m am hear protecting Dalton’s innocent ears and the sanitary state of the kitchen,” I felt Jimmy’s eyes wander to me. “Dude you need to take care of your girlfriend.”

“For the last time we are not ha-” Matt was stopped mid-sentence by Jimmy’s hand over his mouth. My attention was rapidly becoming completely focused on his neck.

“No I mean look at her. She is weak Matt, she is thirsty.” Matt pushed me away slightly, being careful not to cause me any pain. He examined my eyes closely but I couldn’t meet his due to the pull I was feeling.

“Shit! She hasn’t fed on me in weeks. She must have had one hell of a nightmare last night or this afternoon. Ellie I need to you look at me, in the eyes.” Matt’s voice was urgent now.

“I-I’m so thirsty Matt.” I could feel my fangs grow to their point and my mouth water. My eyes were only focused on his neck now, no matter how much I wanted to look at his face I just couldn’t.

“I know you are, I know. But your little brother is in the next room and he doesn’t know. You can’t feed on me right here. First you have to say good-bye to him and to Jimmy and then we’ll go up to your room and you can feed. I promise but babe you need to listen to me on this one. Come on, look at me.”

It registered in my mind somehow and I was able to break the trance. Matt was right, first thing was first. I needed to get Dalton to leave and then get Jimmy to leave. “Can you tell him bye without eating him?” Jimmy asked, it was at that point I realized they were whispering and had been the whole time.

“Yeah I can. Do I look sick though?” They nodded and I was thankful for that. “I’ll tell him I’m not feeling good. Dalton!”

“Yeah Ellie?” He appeared in the doorway, his face going pale when he saw me. “What is wrong? Are you alright?”

“I’m just a little sick. Can you come back tomorrow?” Dalton left only minutes before Jimmy did, leaving Matt and I alone in the kitchen. My attention was distracted from where it should have been again as he tried to get me to listen.

“I’m going to lock the door then I’ll come up to your room and you can feed.” Matt made sure I was steady before he went to the door. Making my way up to my room I felt like a zombie, and that feeling was intensified when I literally fell onto my bed.

“I’m sorry that you have to do this for me Matt.” He frowned and helped me up, placing a kiss to my forehead. My eyes wandered down from his eyes, traveling over his nose, lips, and chin before moving to the right.

“Don’t you ever say sorry. This is natural for us. I should have sensed that you were this thirsty which means you had a dream this afternoon. No more talking right now though, go ahead.” My fangs grew back into their pointed state and I moved my mouth to his neck at last. The wonderful scent hit me much harder this time and I couldn’t hesitate, instead I gently bit down.

The taste seemed to bring my taste buds to life as the warm liquid traveled down my throat. I knew that Matt was probing around in my mind looking for information about whatever had drained me. I had full access to his mind but I couldn’t focus on it when I was this thirsty.

I knew when Matt found the memory of the dream because I felt his discomfort about it. I was starting to get some power back but I still wasn’t strong enough to concentrate on probing his mind. When I felt his lips press gently against my neck I was a little shocked though, since I hadn’t saw it coming. The only thing that shocked me more was when I was able to look into his mind a little bit I ventured into a part that I never had before, and I could feel it more than I would have expected.

I pulled away with a gasp, unsure of what to say. I knew the feeling that I had but I had never imagined how his was. I’d never known that we were on the same page. “Ellie we don’t need to talk right now,” He moved the covers back and smiled at me. “But you should go to sleep before you just fall over from exhaustion.”

“Will you stay with me?” He nodded and I fell asleep curled up against him that night.
♠ ♠ ♠
A special thanks again to marriah_undead, Slinky, and XunwantedXloveX for the comments. It really means a lot to me that this story has reached 10 stars thanks to all the people who read/subscribe/comment on it, I appreciate it so, so, so much!!

So does anyone want to take a guess at what she found in his mind?