Broken Glass and Bleeding Hearts

Chapter Nine

I could feel cold fear running through every vein in my body as the footsteps behind me quickened. I could hear them getting closer as I ran through the darkness. I could also feel the worry building with each second that passed. The worry wasn’t for myself, I knew that I was going to die, the worry was for Matt.

Matt didn’t have to die. But where was he? If he wasted time trying to find and save me then my fate of death would apply to him as well. If I could only find him and see him one more time, just to say the final things I had to say and make sure he would go on living, then my destiny would be easier to accept.

But as I ran I felt myself weakening, I was beginning to slow down against my will. So I did the only thing I could, I scram. “Matt!” The sound of his name in my scream was bone chilling, even to my own ears. I had to find him.

“It is no use. He’ll never hear you.” The voice belonged to whoever was following me. I ignored them and scram again.

This time I heard what I needed to push myself forward. I faintly heard Matt’s voice calling back. But he sound weak, or hurt. This only meant I had to find him faster. Even with my excellent night vision where ever I was at right now was too dark. I was having a hard time seeing anything.

I finally found a room and opened the door, slipped in, and closed the door behind me. I heard the unknown chaser run past the door. I turned around and sighed in relief. Now I just had to find Matt. But then I opened my eyes and went into hysterics. They had already gotten to him. “Matt!” I threw myself onto the floor beside him.

“It’s okay. Stop crying. Just get out of here.”

“No! Not without you! What did they do to you?”

“Ellie I will not let them hurt you. It’s okay, I’ve known that this would happen for a while. Now please go.”

“No! I’m not leaving you here to die.”

“Nothing can help me Ellie. I’m as good as dead. Just go.” Despite the blood that was smeared on his face I leaned down to kiss him. I wasn’t walking out of here alive if he wasn’t.

“I will not leave you. Ever.”

“You always have been stubborn.”

“Well look what we have here. I see you found him.” The voice was the same one of the person who had been chasing me before. “I warned the both of you.”

“Don’t hurt her. This isn’t her fault.” Matt knew who it was, but when I turned to look I saw a face hidden in darkness. I couldn’t see them.

“Correction it isn’t just her fault. It is yours too. If you would have both listened to me when I warned you we could have avoided this. I always get what I want.” Then they struck, before I could do anything. I heard a final sound from Matt and then it was over. They had killed him.

“No!” The tears were coming. I should have gotten up and fought, but what was the use now? I knew I’d die here, my only reason for fighting was to keep Matt safe. But obviously I had failed.

“Get up and fight. Avenge him.”

“He did this to save me. I’m going to die anyway.”

“I never did understand his attraction to you. It always seemed stupid to me.”

“He loved me, and I loved him.”

“Are you stupid? I do not care who loves who. I get what I want. Now get up and fight!” That is why I hadn’t gotten up to fight, it was what they wanted. I wasn’t going to give them that satisfaction.

“No.”

“Fine. I’ll kill you all the same.” Then I felt the attack. I was going to bleed out, and it wouldn’t take long. I felt the life flow from my body, and just as I was about to take my final breath I saw the face. The face that would be forever burned in my memory, for how ever long I had a memory. The face of my biggest enemy, and Matt and I’s killer. It was her face. Then I took one last gasp and then it all just stopped. I was dead.

The scream flew from my mouth as I sprang up in bed. I felt around and looked at the clock. I knew two things for sure at the moment. One: I was alive, which meant so was Matt. Two: It was the middle of the night but I still needed to talk to Matt.

He answered after half a ring. “Ellie are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m okay. Are you okay?”

“Yeah I’m fine.”

“Can I meet you at the spot? I need to talk to you.”

“Yeah, I’ll be at your house in a few minutes.”

“Don’t hurry. I need to get dressed.”

“Okay I won’t.” I heard him laugh after he said this. When we hung up I ran around my room got dressed, brushed my hair, and brushed my teeth. I then snuck out my window, which had become very easy now, and waited. Matt got there less than a minute after I landed on the ground. We then headed for the spot so we could talk about what ever had happened with each other.

As it turns out we had the same dream, except Matt’s was from his point of view, of course. It didn’t make sense that we could both remember everything from the dream except the attacker’s face. I finally sighed, giving up on trying to remember, and rested my head on Matt’s shoulder. Tomorrow (well technically today) was Star and I’s first official council meeting. “I don’t want to go to some stupid council meeting.”

“I know you don’t.” Matt laughed letting his arm wrap around my shoulders and his hand rub my arm. “It shouldn’t be that bad.”

“These are the same people who want us apart. And I have to face what’s-her-name too. Oh yeah I’m sure it won’t be that bad.”

“You have a point.”

“I always have a point. And I’m usually right. I’ve had a lot of time to think about this one. Remember that.”

“I’ll try.”

“Good.”
The next day I had to admit, the actual meeting wasn’t that bad. It was the talking after words that was horrible. I watched the clock anxiously to see when we could go, but then she came over. “Hello Matt”

“Angelica, this is my girlfriend Ellie. Ellie this is Angelica.” Matt didn’t really look at her as he introduced us.

“Hi.” I said.

“Hello.” She then turned her face away from me to look at Matt again. “So what are you doing tonight?”

“Ellie and I are going out.” This obviously pissed her off because after Matt answered she turned and walked away.

“Someone is bitchy.” I mumbled as she walked away angrily.

“She is always like that.” I kept forgetting that Matt could always hear me. I needed to start saying things in my mind more often.

“And they want you to be seeing her?” Matt didn’t answer aloud, instead he nodded yes. I rolled my eyes and noticed she was glaring at me. So that is how she wanted to play it huh? I suddenly felt Matt poking my arm. “What?”

“Come on. We can leave now”

“Thank God!” I didn’t talk much as Matt drove to the movie theater since I was too deep in my own thoughts. Why didn’t they want Matt seeing me? I was a vampire now, or turning into a vampire I should say, so what exactly was the problem? Did they hate me that much for some unknown reason?

“Ellie are you okay?” Matt’s voice interrupted my thoughts as he parked.

“Oh uh yeah I was just thinking.” I shook my head to clear the thoughts. I would think about it all later.

“Thinking about why they don’t want us seeing each other? And about if they hate you and if they do what reasons they would have for hating you?”

“Can you read minds?” I looked at him completely shocked. How did he know that?

“No I can’t read minds. I wish I could, but I can’t. I just know you. I don’t think they hate you. And if they do they have no reason to.” He leaned over and kissed my cheek quickly. “So don’t worry about it, okay?”

“I’ll try but I’m not promising anything.” He laughed and shook his head. “Matt you should have saw that one coming.”

“I did.”

“Sure you did.” Once we were inside the movie theater my thoughts once again got the best of me. I was really Matt’s girlfriend. He had even said it himself. Yes, it was incredibly sad that this was just now fully sinking in.

With a smile on my face I found his hand and laced my fingers with his. “You are thinking again.” he whispered.

“Yeah I am.”

“About what?”

“Nothing.”

“No really what are you thinking about Ellie?”

“Don’t worry about it. They are girl thoughts, you wouldn’t understand.” I laid my head on his shoulder. “Does this bother you?”

“Not at all.”

“Good.” I didn’t move through the entire movie. I didn’t want to. I loved being this close to Matt, and his scent was amazing. Granted I did want his blood, but it was easy to push that thought aside.

How exactly do you fall for your male best friend? That is what happened to me, but I have no answer. Nor do I have an answer about why the council don’t want us together. But then again there are lots of things that I don’t have answers for, so I suppose that it is completely normal.

I’m sure that someone, somewhere would call me crazy for falling this hard for Matt but I couldn’t help it. And after all it isn’t like I just met him. I’ve known him my entire life, and he has always been there for me, and the one time he wasn’t there he was only trying to protect me.

“Ellie-bear are you asleep?” Matt asked as the credits came on and I didn’t move.

“No. And you aren’t ever going to let me live the fact that I named my teddy bears down are you?”

“Never. Come on I better take you come.” Before I stood up I leaned over and gently pressed my lips against his making him smile. Little did he know exactly what I was planning on talking him into doing very soon. We were vampires after all and that meant that we would want blood.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know that this wasn't the best chapter, but trust me this is all leading up to something big. I promise! Comments would be awesome!
♥♪♫Bat Shadows♫♪♥