Love Story

Love Story

“Babe, come on. We have to go. The party starts in an hour and I told my parents we’d be there early.” Joe called up the stairs.

“I’ll be right there.” I shouted down, straightening my wig, looking at myself in the mirror. Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan… that’s who we were. Halloween, October 2012. I stared at myself in the mirror and thought back to that Halloween, 6 years ago… when we first met.

We were both young, when I first saw you.
I close my eyes and the flashback starts-
I'm standing there, on a balcony in summer air.


“Piper! Come down now, guests are starting to arrive.”

“Hold on mother!” I stood on the balcony, looking out across the neighboring lawns. I felt the breeze blow by and dress ruffled against my ankles. Why my mother insisted I dress as Juliet I don’t know why. It’s not like I had a Romeo.

Before she could storm up into my room I left, closing the door behind me and went downstairs. The lights in the hall were bright, I saw all the neighbors and my parents friends dressed in their elegant costumes. I looked to the door where a new family was arriving. There were six of them, parents, and four boys. My parents greeted them politely, smiling and shaking hands. My eyes were stuck on the second oldest looking one, he caught my glance and smiled at me. I smiled back. My father saw the exchange and looked at me and shook his head. I don’t know why, he usually approves of the guys I like. As long as they aren’t famous or something because he thinks they’d break my heart.

The guy made his way over to the staircase where I was. I slowly walked down the rest of the way and smiled.

“Hello.” He said, sticking his hand out to shake mine. “I’m Joe.”

“I’m Piper.”

“So, Piper, who are you supposed to be?”

“Juliet” I said, rolling my eyes. “And yourself?”

“Your Romeo.”

I see the lights; see the party, the ball gowns.
I see you make your way through the crowd-
You say hello, little did I know...


Joe and I talked throughout the entire party. I came to realize that he and his brothers were the Jonas Brothers. I knew in my mind that this wasn’t good and that my father wouldn’t approve but, it just felt so right. When the party ended and everyone had left I went up to my room and changed out of my costume. I was combing my hair when I heard something, a tapping at my window. I went to my balcony window and looked down and saw Joe with a handful of pepples.

“What are you doing?” I called down.

“I wanted to talk to you.”

“Joe it’s late. If my father hears…”

“Piper? Who are you talking to?”

He didn’t even knock, he just came into my room and walked out onto the balcony. When he saw Joe he clenched his fists and I saw his jaw lock.

“You there! Go to the front door. Now!” he turned to go downstairs and glared at me. I followed quickly after him.

“I know who you are. You’re a pop singer. In a group with your brothers.” My father said, wagging his finger in Joe’s face.

“Well, yes sir but…”

“I didn’t tell you to talk!”

“Daddy, please!”

“Stay out of this Piper! I don’t want my daughter to date someone like you. Someone who could throw her away and break her heart for something you think is better. Well let me tell you, my daughter is one of the best and whatever man gets her will be lucky to have her.”

“Sir I know that. Please just let me…”

“No! You stay away from Piper!”

“Joe, don’t listen to him!”

“Leave, now!”

“Joe don’t go. Please!” I shouted, tears streaming down my face. Joe gave me a helpless look and left.

That you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles-
And my daddy said "stay away from Juliet"-
And I was crying on the staircase-
begging you please don't go...
And I said...


I went back up to my room and slammed my door, not wanting to look at my father ever again. I walked out to the balcony, taking deep breaths. I looked at the tree next to my balcony and saw something stuck on a branch. I carefully reached over and grabbed it and untangled the string from around the branch. There was a note for me tied to the end. I went back and lay on my bed and read it.

Piper, I really want to see you again. Here’s my number… call me and we’ll figure something out. I know it.

Joe


So I made sure my father was in my parents’ bedroom all the way down the hall before calling Joe. I crawled under my covers and listened to the phone ring.

“Hello?”

“Joe, it’s Piper”

“Oh good, you got it.”

“Yeah, thank you. So, when will we be able to see each other again?”

“I don’t know, any ideas?”

“My parents are having yet another party tomorrow for their co-workers.” I said, rolling my eyes as I said it.

“I think I know what to do so we can be alone.”

Romeo take me somewhere, we can be alone.
I'll be waiting; all there's left to do is run.
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess,
It's a love story, baby, just say yes.


Our plan was for me to sneak out at one point in the middle of the party. I was by the door that leads to the kitchen. I scanned the hall for my parents. My mother was by the door greeting a few more people. My father was talking with some of his business associates. Perfect. I went into the kitchen and walked quickly to the back door to the garden. I walked to the furthest corner, where the roses were, and saw him sitting there, waiting for me.

“Hi.” He says softly.

“Hey.” I say, walking over to him. I sat next to him and wrapped his arms around me.

“Did they see you?” he asked quietly.

“No. At least not that I know of.” I answered just as quiet. Even though we were furthest from the house we were being extra cautious.

I leaned into him and we just talked and looked at the stars. I guess we were talking for a long time because next thing I remember I was asleep in his arms, lying on the ground, my head on his chest. I heard footsteps crunching the leaves and I looked up into the eyes of my father and I let out a gasp, waking Joe.

So I sneak out to the garden to see you.
We keep quiet, because we're dead if they knew-
So close your eyes... escape this town for a little while.
Oh, Oh.


“I thought I told you to stay away!” he shouted, pulling Joe up by the arm.

“Daddy please! Can’t you see? I care about him!”

“You don’t know what you care about Piper! I forbid you to see him! Get inside. Now!” he barked.

“No!” I shouted.

“Piper,” Joe said softly. “Go.”

“Joe.” I said, staring at him, my mouth open wide, shaking my head back and forth, tears pouring from my eyes.

He nodded his head at me and I swiftly turned and walked into the house. Tears streaming down my face. I ignored the stares I got from the few remaining guests and my mother and ran up to my room.

Cause you were Romeo - I was a scarlet letter,
And my daddy said "stay away from Juliet" -
but you were everything to me-
I was begging you, please don't go-
And I said...


I immediately went to my bed and grabbed my cell phone and called Joe. He didn’t answer so I left a message.

“Joe, it’s Piper. I need you in my life, you’re my everything. I know it sounds so weird to say now but I feel a deep connection. We need to run, get out of here. I need to escape this. Please say yes. Call me.”

Romeo take me somewhere, we can be alone.
I'll be waiting; all there's left to do is run.
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess.
It's a love story, baby, just say yes-


He didn’t call back that night. I decided to try again the next night.

During that day, both of my parents tried talking to me. Whenever my father came to talk to him I refused to talk to him, even look at him. He would sigh in defeat and leave. Finally my mother decided it was her turn and came into my room quietly and sat on the bed next to me.

“Piper, honey, please talk to me.”

“I don’t want to talk Mom.”

“Honey you know you can’t be with him. It’s just not what your father and I want.”

“But it’s what I want mother. Doesn’t that mean anything?”

“Of course not sweetheart. Now, I thought you liked that Carroll boy, what’s his name, David?”

“That was two years ago Mom. He’s an asshole.”

“Piper there is no need for that language.”

“But it’s true! He uses girls for sex!”

“It’s not polite to make things up like that. Now, I’m in the DAR with his mother, I’ll call her and have her arrange something.”

“God, Mom, don’t you understand? I don’t want him! I want to be with Joe! Why must everything seem so difficult when I’m around you and Dad?”

“Piper, stop it.”

“Go away mother.”

She gave me a sad look and finally got up and left. Closing the door quietly behind her. I picked up my cell phone and called Joe again.

Again, he didn’t pick up.

“Joe, they’re trying to tell me how to feel, who to love. I love you. I know this would be difficult, but like I said, I can feel it. It’s real. I’ll be waiting for you.”

Romeo save me, they're trying to tell me how to feel.
This love is difficult, but it's real.
Don't be afraid, we'll make it out of this mess.
It's a love story, baby, just say yes.
Oh, Oh.


He never called back. I waited for two years. I graduated high school and moved out of my parents house, into college. One day, my roommate and I went shopping just for fun, a little outside of town. I turned a corner to meet a large group of photographers. We pushed our way through to continue on our way when I saw who they were taking pictures of. Three dark haired boys. I couldn’t believe it.

“Piper!”

I looked into the eyes of the guy that I hadn’t seen in two years.

“Joe?”

“My God I missed you.” He said, coming over and enveloping me in his embrace.

I got tired of waiting.
Wondering if you were ever coming around.
My faith in you was fading-
When I met you on the outskirts of town.
And I said...


“Where did you go?” I asked, pushing away from him.

“Your father had kind of… threatened me. I didn’t think it was right to go back.”

“I was so alone. I was waiting and you didn’t come, you didn’t even call.” I said sadly.

“I wanted to call, honestly.”

“You could’ve.”

“I know that now.” Then he leaned in and placed a kiss on my lips. A deep, passionate kiss.

Romeo save me, I've been feeling so alone.
I keep waiting, for you but you never come.


Two years later, Joe and I had continued with our romance. I skimmed the details with my parents about who I was dating. They didn’t need to know. I couldn’t believe that Joe and I were finally in a relationship together. That night, our two year anniversary, he took me out to dinner.

“Piper, have you thought about our future?”

“I don’t know what to think…” I said, honestly.

“Well, think about this.” Then, he knelt down to the ground and reached into his pocket. He pulled out a box and opened it, revealing the most gorgeous ring I had ever seen and I gasped.

Is this in my head, I don't know what to think-
He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said...


“Piper, marry me. I love you.”

“Joe, I love you too, but what will my parents say?”

“Well, I took up the courage to talk to your father. I sat him down calmly and explained to him that I love you more than anything and that I would never even dream of hurting you. He listened, and agreed with me. So, all you have to do… is say yes and get a white dress.” He said, smiling.

“Yes!” I shouted, jumping into his arms.

Marry me Juliet, you'll never have to be alone.
I love you, and that's all I really know.
I talked to your dad -- go pick out a white dress
It's a love story, baby just say... yes.
Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh.


“Piper! Seriously, we have to go!”

“I’m coming!” I grabbed my purse and walked down the stairs. He turned around and smiled up at me.

We were both young when I first saw you.

Image