Status: Updates when I can!

Lampposts, Demonic Siblings and a Broken Toaster. Can It Get Any Worse?

Blackmail

Humming delightedly to herself, Crystal lay her head back in the bath and breathed in the deliciously fruity scented candles. She closed her eyes in pure bliss, dunking her head beneath the purple bath-bombed water. As she resurfaced, she heard the phone ringing in the other room. Dammit, she thought, Why does it have to be now?

With a grudging huff, Crystal heaved herself out of the purple water and wrapped her extremely fluffy dressing-gown around herself. Into the receiver, she breathed a “Hello?” while snuffling further into the comfort zone of her gown. Mm, the bliss of the heavenly smell of fabric conditioner!

However, Crystal's idea of heaven refused to last. Having recognized the silky voice on the other end, she felt her whole body stiffen with fear. “Hello Crystal,” Beth purred. “Glad to see you're enjoying life on Earth.”

Shit, NO! Crystal - who never swore - inwardly screamed. Go away and leave me the hell alone!

Aloud, she said; “Bethany Demetri, it's l-lovely to hear from you.” She barely managed to stop her voice from wobbling. “Can I help you with anything?” Crystal clenched her hands as she spoke, wishing they weren't so clammy.

Crystal could hear the amusement in Beth's voice as her words glided out of her mouth. “You certainly can,” she chuckled lightly. “My sources have informed me of a lawbreaker in your area. Have you any idea who it might be?” She paused to let the words sink in.

She knows!! Crystal stopped breathing for a moment, having nearly had a heart attack on the spot. “L-Lawbreaker?”

Light laughter ensued. “Yes, I'm afraid so. Nothing too serious really, just-” She hesitated. “Just that someone – a faerie perhaps – has granted a reckless wish. It's costing the Council of Magic quite a bit of grief. You wouldn't happen to know anything about it?”

Crystal knew that she was standing in quite a puddle. On one hand, if she told the truth to Beth – God forbid – she knew the consequences of admitting to her actions were quite severe. On the other hand, if she told a lie that would only be further breaking the law and lengthening her sentence.

While the silence became longer, Beth was grinning on the other end as she spoke; “Now tell me Crystal, what on Earth made you do it?”

Maybe she could try bluffing? “I – I don't know what -”

“Oh don't even think about lying to me, Crystal!” Beth snapped, nearly shouting. “I know what you did. And more importantly, I know why you did it.”
Crystal was speechless. For a moment her sins flashed before her eyes, and she pictured standing in the Room, awaiting her dreadful punishment. She imagined the seriousness of the atmosphere, the shame of the society... how could she ever live with that?

Tears were spilling our of her eyes now, tainting her cheeks with sin as they rolled down. “Please!” Her voice wobbled as she spoke, trying to contain the tears that were desperately trying to escape. “Please! I'll do anything!”
Crystal choked on a sob. “I'll do anything.” She said again, much quieter this time.

“I was hoping you would say that. Now listen, and listen carefully...”

For the next few minutes, Crystal wrote down all the details that Beth told her, all the time crying quietly and trembling with fear.

“...and remember, the Study Group begins at ten on a Saturday morning.”

“Yes.”

“And make sure that this Magenta girl arrives. Remember what happens if she isn't there.”

“O-of course, absolutely.” Crystal's head was beginning to go numb.

“I'll be there.” Was the last thing that Beth had said before she hung up. On the other side of the line, the phone fell to the floor and Crystal keeled over, and cried her heart out.
♠ ♠ ♠
here it is at least, and I'm really sorry that I havn't posted in such a long time!

My list of excuses includes:
Two weeks with no internet in Egypt.
The absence of my creativity.
The arrival of many tedious exams.
Homework.

And on and on and on...

Anyway, i sincerely hope you enjoyed this. And yes, it IS relevant to the plot! ;)

So please leave a comment! Don't just be a silent reader!