Status: Updates when I can!

Lampposts, Demonic Siblings and a Broken Toaster. Can It Get Any Worse?

Kaine

All week, Crystal has been pretty damn silent.

I guess I understand it. I mean, I would be freaked out too. Heck, I am freaked out!

I know I wished that normality would cease to exist in my life, but I didn't want to end up being some healing super-fast, weird, super-being thing! It's just....
.......not normal.
So isn't this what I want?

I should have died.

I should have been infected.

I should have been hurt.

But, as much as it does freak me out, the only thing I can do is accept the fact that it's my wish, therefore I change too, not just my world.

Damn.

What have I done?

****

I rush in with the rest of the class to Biology and sit by myself next to the window, right at the back.

Before the teacher even arrives, I rest my head on the desk and close my eyes.

I'm just about to drift into a beautiful sleep when I hear someone walk up to me. "Is this seat taken?" they ask.

I open my eyes and look into the face of the most gorgeous boy I have ever seen. For a second, I'm rendered speechless.

"I.....um...... yeah....no...I mean...um..."
God, I sound like a freak.

He doesn't notice my tomato-red face, but instead smiles and sits down anyway. "Yeah, I thought so. What's your name?"

He sticks out his hand for me to shake.

"M-Magenta." I say, shaking his hand. "Magenta Hartley."

"Cool."

At that moment, the teacher rushes in - out of breath, as always - and starts the class, but I can't seem to concentrate.

All I can think of is this gorgeous boy sitting next to me, and when I see him taking notes I flicker my eyes over towards him and take in his appearance.

He had a messy mop of auburn hair which glinted gold under the standard classroom lighting, and strange golden eyes. They looked ethereal, mysterious....

... almost, magical.

He saw me looking at him and I hurried my gaze back over to the teacher. But I still heard him chuckle lightly, under his breath.

"What are you thinking?" He whispers, quiet so that the teacher doesn't hear. I can almost feel him smirking.

I take a deep breath, refusing to tell him what I'm really thinking...

"I'm thinking....." I look into his golden eyes. "I'm thinking that you didn't tell me your name."

This time, instead of being shy, I send him a flirtatious smile.

"You're absolutely right!" He says. Then he leans over and whispers in my ear.

"My name is Kaine Demitri." I shudder with pleasure when his breath tickles my ear. It feels like energy.

I see his eyes glance down at my neck, at the pendant that I always wear. I could see the question in his mind, and decide to answer before he asks. "It's a family heirloom - nine generations." I finger the flashing amber set in the centre of a golden sun. "My mom gave it to me for my sixteenth birthday, and I've worn it ever since."

He smiles. He has a wonderful smile. "It's beautiful."

*****

After school, I walk with Crystal over to her house with all of my books. It seems to have become a tradition that we do all our homework and assignments at each other's houses, even if we don't talk all that much anymore.

Ever since the Nibbler-bite-healing thing we haven't talked all that much. I don't consider it a bad thing though - we just need our space. Then it'll be fine again.

Anyway, when we get to her house we settle down in her bedroom and manage to get everything finished in silence after about two hours.

And I'm feeling very hungry.

Crystal laughs like an idiot when my stomach rumbles loudly. "Want some toast?" She says, smiling.

I laugh as well, and nod. "Sure. I'll go get it."

I walk downstairs to the kitchen, grab two slices of bread and stick it in the toaster. While I'm waiting for the toast to finish, I get a plate and a knife and some cream cheese from the fridge.

Then this is the wierd thing.

The toast popped out of the toaster, but as I reach for the slices then I feel a huge electric shock course through my entire body, zapping me from the inside.

But the shock didn't come from the toaster - it came from me.

The electricity shot right out of my fingers!

Then then next thing I know is that the toaster explodes and I'm left standing in the kitchen with black marks all over my skin and metallic ashes mixed in with charred crumbs in front of me.

"What the hell just happened?" I hear crystal shout from upstairs. She rushes down the stairs and gasps when she sees the mess in the kitchen.

"Holy cow!"

She looks at me with a worried expression. "What.....?"

I shrug. Don't get me wrong, I may be acting all nonchalant about this but on the inside, I'm scared shitless. I haven't a clue what just happened and even worse - I think it was something to do with me.

Crystal sees past my act though, sees the fear inside me, and she heaves a heavy sigh. "Magenta, don't worry about this. I'll clear it up. Just go on home, okay?"

I nod, unable to say anything.

"I'll tell you soon, I promise." She whispers.

I rush upstairs, grab my books, and leave.

***

Walking home, I go over everything that happened in the kitchen.

Did I make that toaster explode?

I don't understand.

I'm scared.

I walk much faster now. I'm almost running, running home but then I think I see someone across the street from me staring -

- and I run straight into a lamppost.

Great.

I look back up to the person who was across the street, but then I realise that they're standing right in front of me.

"Kaine....." I say, looking up at him. My head hurts.

He'a beautiful. His auburn mop is tousled into a careful disarray, and strange golden eyes glint in the lamplight. I gawk, paralysed as he picks up my books and props them into my arms. He pats my hands, a gesture of friendliness, but confuses me with his next line;

"If you were smart, right now would be the best time to run away and never come back."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah um... new chapter in what, a whole year?

Sorry. Don't kill me :S

Also, I need your help. Throughout the story I'm going to make mistakes - language-wise, so I need YOU, yes, YOU to correct me if I'm wrong!!
Thing is, I'm British but this story is set in the US, therefore you may see some British-sounding words, and that's not really meant to happen!
Example; earlier in the story I said 'dressing-gown' instead of 'bathrobe'

Thanks very much :)