‹ Prequel: Don't Love Me

Let's End This Before We Fall

Family. Friends.

Nick didn't react as the door of their hotel opened and slammed shut, figuring it was Joe and not caring enough.

"Hey, I'm back."

Nick rolled his eyes at the television and huffed silently, not looking around at his brother.

Joe looked down, then at Nick, then sideways into the kitchen. Kevin was standing at the counter, staring at Joe while telling Frankie how much water to put in the batter for brownies. Kevin wasn't mad at Joe for what he did - disappointed, yes, but what good was it to be mad at him? Even with that said, he wasn't about to make Nick's silent treatment any better for him.

Because of Blake the entire family was different. Silently and slowly everybody had become unwilling to share and unfamiliar with each other.

Nick didn't even know what he was watching until Joe sat down next to him on the loveseat. As a reflex he scooted away and focused on the show to keep from getting angry at his older brother. Comedy Central, and a comedian was talking about his old high school. He couldn't bring himself to hear the words, so he counted the seconds passing.

He was on 64 seconds when Joe spoke, "Nick your hair is on fire." and said it in such a solemn voice the Nick leaped up and flung is head around, smacking the top of the curly hair until he realized not only was his hair not on fire, but it was still wet from the shower he had taken.

A scowl marred his features as he glared down at Joe who was sitting on the couch, looking guilty.

"I'm sorry," he started, looking at his hands in his lap, "I just wanted to see if you were talking to me."

"Well." Nick meant to say more, but couldn't think of a reply. He looked at his previous seat and lowered himself onto in carefully, looking back at the television.

"I'm just - just really sorry Nick, you wouldn't believe. I changed, I swear." Joe opened his mouth to say more but Nick turned to look at him.

"Joe, I just can't believe you ruined my relationship like that! I thought we were brothers. I thought we were friends." Nick glowered at his brother, but Joe's expression was changing again.

"We are brothers and friends, Nick. You have to believe me, I didn't mean to hurt anybody. I couldn't help myself, it was like, I was insane. I felt like I was going insane." Joe took a deep breath and glanced up at Nick timidly.

Nick was thinking. This was his brother, who had done something bad to him years ago, that had turned his life for the worse. But they were brothers, and nobody made him feel better than Joe could. And if he felt like he was going insane... well Nick felt bad for him. He never felt an attraction to any of his brother's girlfriends, but he knew how Joe felt - wanting so badly to make a move, but not able to.

But then again, Joe had made a move. Lots of them.

"Joe... It's okay. I mean, it's not okay that you did that - but I forgive you. I can't stay mad, your my brother and I love you. I just hope you feel bad about doing that because it was really dishonest and wrong."

"I do." Joe observed his brother and thoughtfully said, "That's so mature of you Nick. I'm proud of you for forgiving me. And, trust me, I'm so sorry. I wish I hadn't done all of that. And I can't believe I did, it was so wrong -"

"Oh, shut up." Nick interrupted him playfully and pulled him up from the couch, engulfing his brother in a bear hug. Joe grinned and wrapped his arms around Nick too, swaying them back and forth slightly.

Joe was amazingly glad Nick wasn't mad anymore. What with Nick angry, Kevin indifferent, Frankie unknowing and his parents unwilling to get involved he had been alone. Totally alone.

"Aww. Good show, good show." Kevin's voice broke through their hug and they separated from each other, standing side by side with their arms slung around each others backs.

"I think Kevin feels left out." Joe smirked at Nick knowingly at his comment, and both brothers stalked their way to their other brothers.

Frankie let out a very unmanly squeak as Joe swept him into the middle of their hug just as they all collided. Kevin chuckled and Nick grinned and Joe almost cried again.

All the boys felt more at ease than they had since Blake's disappearance. Friends again, they were finally a family again as well.

This was the way it was supposed to be. Family was friends and friends was family.

Nick blinked as he looked at his three brother's faces.

And now, there was just Blake.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I updated Fame a few days ago and, trying to keep up with the SEVEN comments I got for that update (seven is a lot for me) I updated this as soon as I could.

COMMENT

SUBSCRIBE

xoxo
Rags