Status: Hiatus: Bother Silentaffections please!

My Pretend Fiancé

Welcome home...Sweetheart

She was bending forward, her pink scarf falling away from her body, and her face staring too closely at his window. She squinted her eyes, as if she needed pure concentration. Leonard thought about giving her some time to read it, but when a good three minutes clicked away on his watch, he seriously couldn’t understand why she was still squinting the way she did. Walking over to her, he cleared his throat. Then once more when she didn’t even bother to turn, her perfectly still figure beginning to attract attention from other passersby. When he cleared his throat for the fourth time, she abruptly turned her face to him without even shifting the slightest bit of her position. “Um, are you okay, sir?” she asked kindly.

Leo nodded and just as he opened his mouth to say something, she continued to speak, this time erecting her physical composure. “Oh, okay,” she said. “I thought you might have wanted Halls or something. ‘Cause I have a few in my bag, look.”

He couldn’t honestly help but smile at her comment. The awkward thing was that it didn’t seem like she was joking, either, as she began to scramble her hand into her brown messenger bag. “Uh, no,” he answered, accidentally allowing a chuckle slip past his lips. “I saw you staring at my, uh, sign there.”

Leonard almost jumped simultaneously with her as she gasped suddenly in an over-exaggerated manner of surprise from what he said. “This sign is yours?” she squeaked, her eyes widening. He could see now that her eyes were a magnificent pair of light browns, and for mere moments, he stared into them, and kept quiet, but when the world seemed to start blurring around him, Leonard quickly looked away just to check that he still lived in a familiar place. He chuckled lightly then set his eyes on her again. “Uh, what’s your name,” he asked dutifully.

“Oh, my name’s Lenina!” She said it with so much exuberance, lighting up her face with her dimples.

“I’m Leonard, but you can call me Leo.”

“Hi! Um, I have a question about the sign on your window,” she started and glanced back on it. “Um, I think you have an apartment for rent, but, uh… And I was wondering if you would be, uh… so kind enough as to…” When Lenina began to search her pockets for something, Leo feared that it might be the candy she promised earlier, but instead pulled out a mess of different coins and handed them to him. “Uh, I only have eighty-one cents, and I don’t have a job, yet, but I promise that as soon as I get one, I’ll pay you fully. But please, please, please, I need a place to sleep for now, and I have all my stuff with me, and I’ve been hauling them around for three hours now!”

Leonard tilted his head slightly to his side and glanced at the suitcase that rested beside her legs. He smiled at her one-breath-sentence, and said, “Well, Lenina, I may have good news for you.”

“Good news,” she whispered breathlessly. “What is it?”

“The apartment is upstairs, along with a computer and a full-size bed,” Leo replied robotically, continuing to list down the apartment’s luxuries. “There’s a Kenmore silver refrigerator, a small, but decent kitchen, and a bathtub in the shower. Also, Time Warner Cable for your 42" flatscreen television is already set up, and in your room there is a closet for all your feminine clothing.”

Lenina’s jaw dropped. “I don’t mean to be rude, sir, but…how in the world is that good news for me? It all sounds wonderful, but it sounds a bit expensive, too…”

“Oh, it is,” Leo confirmed smugly. “The rent should be about one thousand three hundred fifty dollars each month.”

“What! But, sir, I barely have enough money to buy my next pair of underwear! And, and, Tori told me to get new ones as soon as possible.” She was beginning to sniff at her misfortune. “How much will the rent be after you subtract my eighty cents from it?”

“Actually, money won’t be needed in this matter, Lenina,” he reassured as he began to walk closer and grabbed her suitcase and headed for the front door. “On one condition.”

“Condition?”

“Yes, the apartment and everything else that comes with it is free, as long as you agree to be my fiancé.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys like this one. I'm co-writing it with Naked_Freedom. If you commeeeeeeent, we'll be your best friend, ever! And hugs are free! Come on, you know you wanna comment. (Yes, this is a bribe)