Hard to Say I Do, When I Don't

Chapter 12

Ember slowly regained consciousness. Her wrists were burning but she was too tired to open her eyes yet. Her sense of smell came back to her first.

She was underground. She was sure of that. After living in caves all her life she had become quite acquainted with the smell of earth and stone. She was confused though, because it did not smell like her home, no fur scent or the smell of a fresh kill. In stead, it reeked of death and the coldness of a place that has never known a happy thought.

Eventually, she gathered the strength to open her eyes and view her surroundings.

She was in a barren room with no window and a black hole for a door. Her wrists were shackled to the ceiling so that her feet barely touched the ground. Ember could feel the silver in the shackles burning into her skin, but it wasn’t the overpowering pain she had felt before and she concluded that the caustic metal must have been mixed with a less harmful one to lessen its affect. This didn’t comfort her though, because it simply meant they wanted her lucid for whatever would come next.

But what would come next? She wondered. This was the first time she had been conscious and she had seen no one. Only the stench of vampire gave any clue to who had abducted her.

She sat in the dim light of the cave, containing the absolute panic she felt at her helpless situation.
♠ ♠ ♠
Did you miss me??

thanks steph_b and Satine! for the comments!