Hard to Say I Do, When I Don't

Chapter 3

Ember and Drake had been walking for hours before they saw their first town. They'd seen small signs of civilization on the trial they walked, but it was a relief for them to see the human settlement.

The people smiled as the two walked between the small, worn down cottages. Humans and lycans had always gotten along, mostly because lycans were human as well as wolf. In the past, before the war, many humans and lycans married. Humans also were frond of lycans because they were the barrier between them and the vampires.

Ember and Drake purchased two horses in the town and continued on their way. It was far less conspicuous for them to travel by horse, even though it would be much quicker if they journeyed as wolves.

The pair rode in silence most of the time. They didn’t have to worry about vampire attacks yet, the sun was still up, but they both remained wary.

After another mile of silence, Ember spoke up, “Are we even going the right way?”

“I’m positive we are.” Drake answered. He had more experience with the vampire world than Ember did; he had spent years living among them.

“Do you see that sign marker off to the side of the road?” He asked Ember as he pointed to a wooden pole sticking about a yard up out of the ground. There was a fifty-three painted on the post in white paint.

Ember nodded and he continued, “They’re all over the kingdom, they count down the miles to the capital city.”

Ember laughed a little, “All roads lead to Rome?”

Drake smiled back, “More like all roads lead to Damir”

Ember’s good mood vanished at the thought of her future home. She shivered at the idea of living among hundreds of vampires for the rest of eternity.

“You don’t have to stay.” Ember said, thinking about her fate. Drake was not only Ember’s best friend, but also the only lycan who both knew the way to Damir and would willingly return there and he seemed determined to stay there with Ember.

“I do have to stay, for you” Drake grinned, “You’ll go crazy surrounded by all those bloodsuckers.”

Ember smiled back. She was truly happy that Drake was coming with her, she was so afraid of what would happen in Damir and Drake was the perfect person to ease her fears.