In the Hands of Man

Chapter 1: Initial Meeting

A scream pierced the black night. Running from the pyramids was a teenage girl around seventeen. Every few steps she would look behind to see if anything was following her. Something must have startled her, for the guards couldn't see anything.

"Maybe she saw a rat," one guard said. They both started laughing at the thought.

Their laughter caught in their throats as one of the guards was lifted up by the neck.

"Are you trying to imply that I am something as vile and pathetic as a rat?" a handsome young man asked the guards.

Both guards choked out a stuttered, "N-n-no-o! No!"

The young man replied, "Good," as he dropped the first guard. "Now, could you please tell me which direction a young girl by the name of Ayra has gone?"

Both guards pointed south and muttered, "That way, my lord."

"Splendid! Let's see her try and get away with what she has done," he said sounding slightly psychotic. He took off in the direction the guards had pointed.

It was a good thing I was I cross-country runner or this could get painful, she thought.

By the time she had gotten almost three miles away from the pyramids, she was beginning to think that he had given up the chase and was going to let her get away. Then she heard rapid footfalls coming from behind her. She looked and saw him running at her, gaining on her with every step. Ayra began to pick up the pace and it looked like she was going to get away. Within a few seconds, the young man who was chasing her grabbed her by the waist.

"Didn't think you were going to get away, did you?" he whispered in her ear.

"I was hoping so, but it seems like I'm all out of luck."

"Damn right, you're not going to get away with this," he told her forcibly. "What do you think we should do about our little problem? 'Cause, I'm liking the idea where I send you to guard my father's tomb for eternity."

"I was hoping for a 'say you'll never do it again.' That's not good enough for you, is it?"

"Smart girl. After you awakened me from a thousand-year sleep, I'm feeling a little bit hungry," he said, looking her up and down.

"You're not going to eat me, are you?" she asked him, almost terrified of what the answer will be.

"No, and I resent being called a cannibal. I was hoping you would accompany me to a restaurant and help me get updated with the times. The last time I was awake was 1007. Also, then you can tell me a little about yourself, and how you knew how to awaken me."

It was a tempting offer, not. Ayra decided that if she refused, he could change his mind about eating her. Also, in public he might be less tempted to harm her.

So, after an hour of trudging through the desert, they arrived in a small town a few miles east of Cairo. They began to look for a cafe that was open and didn't look rundown. When they found one that was suitable, it was close to midnight. They went inside and immediately they were being watched by a dozen pairs of eyes. Not realizing what she was doing, Ayra reached for the young man's hand. He could tell she was nervous, so he didn't immediately shake out of her hand. Then, she did the oddest thing, she looked at him and smiled. Not one of those forced smiles, but a genuine one meant for someone special.

Why is she looking at me like that? he thought. Is there something on my face and she's trying not to laugh?

"Where should we sit? The corner looks good, don't you think?" Ayra asked him, snapping him away from his thoughts.

"Huh? Sorry, what did you say?" he apologized.

"Do you want to sit in the corner booth?" she asked again. "Or is there somewhere else you want to sit?"

"The corner is fine," they walked over and sat down. "Earlier, when you grabbed my hand, why did you look at me like that?"

She started blushing.

She likes me. That's why she did it.

"Um...well, I looked at you like that because," she sighed, "I think you're really cute and you were actually being nice for a change. Especially since I get really nervous when people look at me," she ended in such a rush that he almost couldn't understand her.

"So, now that that's settled, can you tell me who you awakened me?" he asked her.

"I'm not sure, but first, before I begin racking my brain for something I'm not likely to find, will you tell me your name?" she began.

"Well, if you must know, my name is Adrian," he told her.

"So, Adrian, how old are you? Why don't you look old and disgusting?" Ayra asked him.

"Well, if my calculations are correct, I am 2025 years old. Now, don't freak out when I tell you this, but I am..."

"Are you ready to order?" a waitress interrupted them. "Would you like anything to drink to begin with?"

"Um..I'll just have a water," Ayra told the waitress.

"I'll also have a water," echoed Adrian.

"Would you like to try our special of the day: Shrimp Platter and a Salad?" the waitress asked them.

"No, thank you, I'll just have a bowl of chicken noodle soup," Ayra replied.

"What about you?" the waitress asked eying Adrian for a little too long.

"Yes, that sounds enticing. Thank you," he told her.

"Will that be all for you?"

They look at each other and reply together, "Yes, that will be all."

"So, what were you trying to tell me before we were interrupted?" Ayra reminded him.

"Promise you're not going to start screaming and run away,"

"Yes, Adrian, I promise. It can't be all that bad."

"I'm a god," Adrian interrupted her.

"OMG! You can't serious be a god. That's impossible. I mean a god. If you're so divine, how were you put to sleep? Wouldn't you be able to stop them from doing that? And if you're a god, as you claim to be, how did you wake up to me saying, 'Re, oh divine spirit, awaken thee's young son, for he must fulfill his destiny.' Although, I think I chanted that in Egyptian, which come to think of it, I don't know how to speak."

"Ayra, the reason that what you chanted awakened me is Re is my father. He was the one who put me to sleep until the time that I could be awakened."

"Then, why were you chasing me and being generally evil? If I was put to sleep until someone could awaken me, I would be excited about it."

"You don't understand. Only gods and goddesses can awaken people from sleep. My destiny, the reason I was awakened, is...I am to destroy the Earth and all it's inhabitants."

"Oh, wow! That could present a problem. How was I able to awaken you? I'm not a goddess?"

"Well, apparently you are, if you awakened me," Adrian told Ayra.

"Are there any other stipulations that I should know about? Like, since I awakened you, I'm not going to die within the next twenty-four hours, am I?" Ayra asked him, without any subtlety as to her anger.

"Well, my father told me that I would be awakened by a child of the night. Also, when I was awakened the two of us would unite and rule over the entire known universe. That includes my father and the other gods. My guess is that you are the child of the night that he spoke of."
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think. If it's cheesy or just bad in general I won't continue writing it. If you guys like it I'll try and think of some more chapters for it.