Different

Chapter 5

"Nothing" you answer. "It's just that I, um, I" you continue. "That you have a big crush on me?" asks Max. "Gross!" says Megan. "Who would like you" says Emily. "No. It's that," you pause and shoot Joey a 'help me' look. So Joey finishes "It's that she thought you changed a lot, too." So Max looks at you and says "Really?" And then Joey says "Yeah. She said you're way more annoying then you were last year!" And then everyone, except for Max laughs. Then you start talking to Megan so Max turns back around. You're whispering so low that only Megan, can hear you. "You have to keep all of this a secret Nick. If anyone finds out, I'll be, I mean we'll be a laughing stalk" says Megan being totally serious. "I know. It would ruin our middle school reputation." you say back. Then you say "But, am I right. Am I a vampire?" Megan smiles again and answers "Yes. You're a vampire. But, I have to tell you something." she looks worried.

You say "What?" She looks at you & says "Someone is listening to us. And, Joey can hear every word we say." You freak out and say "What?" She answers "Werewolves have very good hearing." And you look at her. Not saying a word but giving her a look that tells her you understand. Then she whispers in your ear, "Joey and Justin can hear us." You back away and say "Justin?" And then Justin says "Yes" from the seat right behind you. "I thought you were in the back" you say scared. "I was" he said "but I heard you say my name." he says. Then Megan says "Did I mention he has very good speed to?" Then she laughs. "How did you know?" Justin asks Megan. "I'm the same as you. I can tell who's who." Then she grins and Max turns around. Max gives Justin a look so Justin whispers "Do you know about Max or Steve?" And you smile this time. Megan has a weird look on her face and shakes her head 'no'. So you say "I do." And Max, Justin and Megan look at you surprised. You whisper "Vampires." And Max says "Wow. I thought you would never guess." You look at him, then look at Megan. Then you say "Are we the only ones who know about this?" And Joey says "Well, I know now." And Megan says "Told you." and you grin. This has turned out to be one first day of school, and you aren't even at school yet, but before you know it you're walking off the bus. You, Megan and Emily all have the same classes.

At the beginning of the year you figured out how to change your schedules. You all walk into homeroom together. And sit right by each other. There's an open seat right next to you. "Who sits there" you say to Megan who's on the other side of you. "I don't know." she says back. Then someone walks in and you can't believe it. They take the seat right next to you and you're just stunned. Right when you're about to say something to Megan again, the teacher starts talking. You're sitting in the front so there's no way to get away with whispering, so you write a note and slide it across the floor. It says:

Meg,
Did you see who's right next to me? I can't believe it. The teacher seems nice, don't you think? Two periods with her might be a little much though. At least we have gym 3rd then lunch.
Your Friend,
NK

If I didn't mention to you, your last name is Knight. Nicole Knight. So, you slide the note on the floor and put you foot on it, you kicked Megan and she saw it and acted like she dropped her pencil, picked it up, read it, and put it back on the floor. You got it and read what it said then you looked up and saw the teacher looking at you. "What's that Ms.Knight? A note? Let me see that so I can read it to the class." says our teacher, Ms.Bern. So, she reads aloud what you wrote. Then, reads what Megan wrote:

NK,
Ha! Right next to you! What fate. The teacher is nice, but her hair is a little distracting don't you think? =)
Signed,
Meg

The teacher looks at you when finished and says "I'll let it slide this time girls, but no more notes. Here, you can keep this." and hands you the note. You look at Megan, then with the corner of your eye you look at the person next to you and they're smiling and looking at your way. Then they look back at the teacher and so do you.