NightCurse

Escaping

The other girl began to pull up the nearly pitch-black windows as I hit the lock switch on the door. The killer began to knock on the back window with his gigantic fist as we tried to shut him out. My heart felt as if it were about to bust out of my aching chest any second at that point. The other girl was searching through her purse for something, hopefully some sort of means of self-defense. I pulled my olive-green pepper spray from out of my purse and clutched it with all my might. Our breathing was frighteningly heavy as we prepared for the worst.

The killer pulled his saw up to the window and began thumping it against it. I could almost smell his fishy, horrid breath at this point. His bulky, powerful muscles were tensed up as he wielded his saw like a sword. I glanced at the other girl and noticed the unmistakable look of horror on her now pallid face. As soon as I was about to look back at the killer, glass burst all around me, and a tiny shard had landed in her eye, causing a river of blood to flow out of it.

My mind told me to run- I didn’t even know where I’d run- but my body was frozen to the seat of the small car. Outside of the car, it was almost pitch-black, so I would have no idea at all where to run, anyway. The pepper spray I had clutched in my hand suddenly dropped to the floor. I stared at my enemy once more before I thought for sure he was about to give me a swift whack on my head with his saw that would definitely end my life. Then, my eyes shut as I awaited my unavoidable doom.

In a few seconds, I felt a mist drift onto my face, but I wasn’t brave enough to open my eyes. They were frozen shut from the horrific fear of being killed- of being beaten to death by the saw. I then heard the noise of the heavy, metal saw dropping to the ground outside and the shrieking of the killer as he tried to scratch the spray out of his eyes. How was it sprayed, though, when I had dropped the can about a half a minute ago? The scratching only made the killer’s eyes burn much worse, which made him suddenly spurt out a string of curse words.

I found the cloth I kept in my purse as a handkerchief and wiped the mist off of my face and closed eyelids. I then glanced around the car. The other girl, gripping onto the pepper spray can, stood there frozen by pure fear as if she were a statue. Blood from her eye still poured into a puddle on the floor as she stood there in shock. I snagged the can out of her hand and made a run for it. The girl suddenly reawakened and ran her own way. I ran for Jackson’s house. Hopefully, he wouldn’t be too scared to open the door.

His lawn was rather wet; it must have been raining on his side of town earlier. The squishy mud mooshed and whoosed with every step and slowed my pace down significantly. I noticed the sun peeking out from the dark clouds. It had to be at least 6 A.M. by now; my mom would be waking up in a few minutes to find me missing! The clouds began to turn a deep purple intermixed with dark pink and illuminated with cream-yellow where the cloud cover was weakest. The sunrise was absolutely breathtaking, but I then realized I’d better get into Jackson’s house before the killer found me.

I gave his freezing, slippery door a swift knock and waited for three minutes for his answer. Three minutes soon turned to five, and those five soon turned to ten. I decided to give him another knock, this time pounding much harder on his door. No answer. I then began pounding barbarically while pricking my ears up a bit and listening to be sure I didn’t hear the clunking of the killer’s apathetic steps. Jackson wouldn’t open his door! I knew he was home, because his car was in its parking spot on the side of the road! “Jackson, OPEN UP!” I shouted furiously. No response, What the…

“JACKSON!” I shouted in a desperate voice. He still didn’t respond. “Are you alright? This is NOT funny!” I waited three more minutes. “Jackson, IT’S ME!” That’s when I decided to run home using the alternative route through the cemetery and across the Burger King parking lot.

The cemetery’s muddy ground made a “WHOOSH!” against my now-brown Sketchers. The lime-green grass had obviously turned a hay-brown color months ago. The tombstones were wet with rain and the dew from the grass around them. As I looked at this grass, I noticed that many of the tombstones were almost completely covered in a thick blanket of grass, and the rest were smashed up quite a bit. Beside about 20% of these graves were some the dead, scaly, dried-out dirt-brown flowers the relatives and friends must have planted for the dead during the early summer. Grey, leafless trees surrounded the graveyard on all four sides; the gates to the cemetery went through the forest. This was definitely a private, lonesome place for the dead to rest. The bronze-colored pathway was surrounded by the fence to keep the animals out, and there were about four gates to get in. Rust had worn out the gate in the middle, so half of that gate had corroded away. I walked quickly down the bronze-colored pathway; my feet were beginning to ache terribly with each, separate step.

Soon, I was on the deserted alleyway to the Burger King parking lot. Something smelled ominously like rotting flesh and fish. There was definitely something wrong on this cracked, lineless, dilapidated alley. I cautiously glanced behind my back- nothing. As I walked farther on the street, the stench grew much stronger. I felt as if I were about to puke my guts out after walking down the street for two whole minutes. It was so bad that I was considering risking my neck by running back to Jackson’s house again. I began to hold my breath after a half a minute of walking down that street. I wanted to run, but I knew it was impossible to run for long while keeping your breath held. I continued to trudge through the alleyway with my eyes watching my every step. Suddenly, while I was staring at the road while walking, I noticed a pool of crimson liquid. Then, I glanced up really quick and noticed what appeared to me as a body in some sort of slimy, weird silver clothes. Without taking a look back, I dashed down the rest of length of the alleyway in pure panic and reached the Burger King parking lot. Before I could stop running, however, I crashed into the building and hurt my head. I began to feel like it was a boulder that had instead hit it. In about a third of a minute, however, it began to stop. Suddenly, I was seized by some guy with stinky, disgusting breath. It didn’t smell nearly as bad as the killer’s, however.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am going on vacation, so I probably won't have much time to update it in the next week or so. I'll be bringing my laptop, however, and when I get the chance, I'll work on it a bit. :D