NightCurse

Blank Darkness

The light began to flicker once again, so I tried to find where I had placed my flashlight just in case the light burned out. First, I placed the things I had just received on the stairs. Then, I looked over by the pile of junk but found nothing. My new mom had obviously found all of her quilting materials, because she was absconding away up the stairs with a gigantic box that some sort of clothy stuff with pink and red stripes protruding out of it. On top of the box was my stuff she just gave me. She must’ve been putting it in my room or something. “Come up when you’re done!” she shouted down to me once she reached the top of the stairs. I continued searching for the flashlight while I heard her climbing the stairs to my room on the top level of the house.

The light flickered once again. Then, sparks danced to the ground of the moist basement. Once I was done watching the few sparks that had fallen down from the ceiling, I resumed my search for the flashlight. I glanced underneath the stairs for the flashlight but couldn’t find it. Suddenly, the light flickered two times and then went out. I was left in complete, blank darkness. I could see absolutely nothing at all. I flounced my arms around the darkness but could feel nothing, so I progressed forward in hope I was going the right way. Suddenly, I crashed into something rough, stiff, freezing, and moist-- a wall. I danced my hands around both of the spaces beside me and discovered there was also a wall to my right. I must’ve been stuck in a corner somewhere in this ominous basement. I turned around to my left and then advanced forward till I hit something metal. It must’ve been some sort of appliance in this bleak basement. I then took a few sidesteps and walked forward yet again. Suddenly, an odd light penetrated the air around me after I reached another wall in front of me. I turned around to see my new mom standing in the doorway to the upstairs. She asked, “Are you alright, Cheyenne? You’ve been down there forever I cooked supper already, and it’s already on the table!” That’s when I suddenly smelled it-- mashed potatoes with vegetable gravy, sweet potatoes, string beans, and some pumpkin pie for dinner! It felt like Thanksgiving already! Now I knew why she needed the eggs-- for the pie. Yum!

When I was done eating, I volunteered to clean up. I had never done any sort of cleaning ever since I stepped foot into this wondrous house. She always beat me to it, and it made me feel a bit guilty not to clean anything, especially since she had no one else to help her. I hadn’t even had to cleaned up my room. While she washed the dishes, I laid my head down on the table and glanced around the room while sitting in one of the three red oak chairs that surrounded the midnight-black table. The counters were lavender-tinged granite, and the walls were olive green. The table sat next to the wall, the wall on its left side. Behind me was a door to the five-acre back-yard. About three pairs of chocolate-brown cabinets lined the walls. I glanced up at them as I heard the clanking and clunking of the plates being inserted into them by my new mom. She wore a lavender apron around her portly, stout body that had been decorated in wrinkles. She certainly looked aged. Oh, how I hated that she wouldn’t let me do any chores for her! I trudged up the stairs and into my room.

I fished through my CD’s and found an old CD by The Beatles. I popped it in and then searched through my new stuff. The first thing I took out was the Ouija board and began scanning the instructions. Apparently, the white thing with the lens was a fundamental instrument for using this thing, so I placed it on the board with my fingers lightly sitting on it and asked it the question, “How many fingers do I have?” just to see if it were going to work. The white thing danced around the board for about a minute without no apparent destination, and then its front leg landed on my medium-purple carpet. I then gave up. Maybe it didn’t work like my mom said it mightn’t because of the crack shooting toward the middle from the left. I placed the board and the white thingy with the lens back into the box and pushed it under my bed. Oh, well. It’s not like it hurt to try, anyway. Maybe I’d let Gerard try during vacation just in case I was doing it wrong or something.

“Damn!” I shouted as I glanced at my clock that sat on my dresser next t my lavender wall. It was already 10:30, and I had to go to the, err, doctor in the morning! I threw the Ouija board into the box where I’d found it, pushed the box aside, and dashed into the bathroom where I found a Black Parade shirt and checkered, fleece sleeping pants awaiting me. Without brushing my teeth or washing myself, I dressed myself in them, darted back into my bedroom, lied down on my bed, and pulled the black satin covers with dark-purple lace fluttering around the sides. I then fell asleep soundlessly in about three minutes in the bed.