Incognito.

17

“So…” Bill started.

“Bill. Not now.” I pleaded. He took in our appearance before holding up his hands in surrender.

“Do you want me to take Nate out?”

“No.” Adam said immediately grabbing onto Nate’s hand.

Bill raised an eyebrow before exiting the room.

“I’m not moving on. You’re here.” I told Adam.

“I don’t have long, Natalie! Stop lying to youself. Okay, I know you. I know that there is
another guy out there that is probably even better than me. You have to move on.”

I thought about it. If I died would I want Adam to move on?

I nodded.

“Just promise me something.” Adam said quietly. I looked at him to continue.

“Make sure he treats you right.”

I smiled a little as Nate played with the heart rate clip on Adam’s finger. He pulled at it for a second before groaning in frustration.

“I love you.” Adam said to Nate kissing his head before looking up at me, “I love both of you.”

“I know.” I sniffed wiping my nose.

“What happened?” he asked gesturing towards my arm.

“Oh, um. I told you about how I was housing the guy from witness protection.” I started
slowly. His eyes widened.

“He did this to you?!”

“No, no! He witnessed a murder, so the guy apparently was going to kill him next. The guy got to my house and that’s about it.” I shrugged.

“But what happened?”

“Like details?” I laughed. He nodded.

“Um, well this other guy was living with us, too. His name was Zack, he was a security guard. We weren’t allowed to leave the house so he ran to get groceries. I was annoyed with being stuck there so I went and opened the front door, I stepped out and got shot in the shoulder. Then I closed the door, we went out my bedroom window and then I passed out, so I’m not really sure what happened after that, but Brendon just woke up like…20 minutes ago.” I laughed a little.

“That’s…insane.” Adam said finally. I nodded a little.

“Do you want to go see him?”

“What?”

“Do you want to go see Brendon?”

“I want to stay with you a little longer.”

“I can go with you. I can leave this room.” Adam laughed.

“I know, but…” I cut myself short trying to think of an excuse.

“But you have feelings for Brendon.” Adam sighed.

“No, honestly. It isn’t that. They just…” I really don’t know. How do I tell them that I’ve lied to
our son and everyone I’ve met since I had him?

“Then I’ll go.” He said unclipping the heart rate clip thing off his finger, before leaning over and pressing a button next to his bed. The nurse came in and he told her where he’d be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay...the drama isn't over. There's more to come. I hope the plot starts getting more interesting from here on out...