No, We Don't Come Easy

16

May 27th, 2009

"Kennedy, we're going to be late," Wendy growled, pulling him out of bed. "You know how important this is to her!" Kennedy smiled and kissed Wendy softly, then walked into the bathroom, emerged five minutes later fully clothed and ready. "Thank you, Kennedy. Now come on, we don't want her to have a conniption."

"Yes ma'am," Kennedy saluted his girlfriend of almost four months and followed her out of his room, then down the stairs, where the rest of the guys were waiting.

Minus John.

"Where's John?" Wendy asked, looking around the room. The guys shrugged, causing Wendy to sigh in frustration. "Someone call him, yell at him for ten minutes, then tell him to get his ass to the school."

"Alright," Jared sighed, pulling out his phone.

"Let's go," Kennedy rushed everyone out of the house and into The Maine's van.

"John, where the hell are you?" Jared asked, then rubbed his forehead. "I don't care, she's presenting today! Yes, that's today, you dipshit! Now get your ass to the school, we're not coming to pick you up! Alright. Yes, she looks 'cute,' John." Jared glanced over at Allie, who was resting her head on the window, her eyes shut. "She's pretty pissed off at you right now, you know. Alright; see you there." Jared hung up and turned towards Kennedy's sister. "He's coming, don't worry."

"He better be," She sighed, smiling softly at Jared and tugging on the end of her dress. "Wendy, this dress is too short."

"Quit complaining," Wendy smirked. "It looks good. You're eighteen, you should be excited!"

"More like nervous," Allie shook her hands, then leaned up to Garrett in the front seat. "Put on some music?" Garrett nodded and turned on 'Weightless' by All Time Low, bringing a smile to Allie's face. She turned to Kennedy and smiled weakly, "I'm nervous, Kenny."

"You'll be fine!" He exclaimed. "I saw what you did, it's gorgeous!"

"You peeked?!" Allie raged, glaring at her brother. "It was a surprise for all of you! And you totally ruined the whole effect!"

"I'm sorry!" He raised his hands in defense. "If it makes you feel better, it was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Not even kidding."

"Really?" She gushed, smiling wide, causing Kennedy to nod. "Alright. If you say so."

Twenty minutes later, everyone piled out of the van and they met John up at the front, causing him to earn a glare from Allie. John leaned down and kissed her hair, putting his arm around her waist, "Don't touch me." She glared, wriggling from his grasp. "I don't want to look at you right now." John sighed and looked over at Kennedy for help.

"Allie, I'm sorry," John pleaded, grabbing her hand. "I forgot. I didn't mean to!"

"You always forget," She sighed, dropping her hand from his. The rest of the guys and Wendy left them alone for a minute, and Kennedy watched from a distance. John really was a good guy. He thought John would be good for Allie. "John, you don't know how nervous I am right now! I was pacing back and forth for half an hour waiting for you!"

"I'm so sorry, Allie," John furrowed his eyebrows together sadly. "I wont scare you like that ever again, I promise."

Allie smiled weakly at him, "Cross your heart?"

"Hope to die, yes," John smiled, embracing her in a hug.

"Kiss her!" Garrett screeched, earning a glare from Allie.

"I vote not!" Kennedy yelled back. "Allie, you have to go up there now." He leaned down to his sister and kissed her forehead, then hugged her. "We'll be right here watching."

"Good luck!" Wendy yelled, then sat down in the middle of the auditorium with all the guys. She rested her head on Kennedy's shoulder. "You're so good to her. Makes me feel shitty."

"Hey, you couldn't take it anymore, I understand. They shouldn't have put that much responsibility on you, Wendy. It's not shitty; it's doing what's right for Taylor and Annabelle. And you still get to see them."

"I guess you're right," She sighed, pecking his lips.

"I know I'm right."

Wendy turned her head towards the stage as all the contestants walked on and stood in a line. "Ladies and gentleman, your two-thousand-nine scholarship contestants." The crowd erupted in applause and Wendy smiled wide. "The winner of today's events will receive a full scholarship to his or her university of choice. It will cover the food plan, book fees, parking, and dorm fees. And, of course, tuition. I'd like to wish good luck to all of our contestants." There was a moment of silence. "Contestants, uncover your projects, please."

The principal announce each painting/collage, then came to Allie's. "Titled 'Visions of Maine,' this is Allison Brock's collage of the adventures her brother's band has encountered." The crowd erupted in applause and The Maine let out obnoxious screams and whistles to encourage her's.

Ten minutes later, the contestants were called back on stage and the principal walked back out, a piece of paper in his hand. "I have the name of this year's scholarship winner in my hand."

Kennedy squeezed Wendy's hand, then looked over at his mother, who had just walked in. She sat down next to him and took his hand, "Sorry!" She exclaimed. "Work ran late. Have they announced it yet?"

"No," Kennedy smiled. "Mom, she did her project about my band."

"I know," She smiled. "I gave her the idea."

"That's why you asked me for all the lyrics!" John exclaimed, leaning over Wendy and Kennedy. "I get it now."

"And the scholarship winner of two-thousand-nine is..." The principal stalled, causing Kennedy to sit up a little in his seat, bringing Wendy up with him. "Allison Brock's 'Visions of Maine.' Congratulations, Allie."

Garrett was the first to scream and stand up, then Kennedy and Wendy, then John, Jared and Pat. Kennedy's mom let tears fall, not letting out any noise, then smiled wide.

"Oh my God!" Allie screeched, running towards the group. "Oh my fucking God! I won!" Kennedy embraced her in a tight hug, then set her back down and smiled at her. "Holy shit, this isn't real."

After a few minutes of congratulating and hugging, John finally kissed Allie and Kennedy turned away so he didn't have to see it. Wendy chuckled and took his hand, then kissed his cheek, "You're cute."

"It's just weird," Kennedy confessed. "Can we - go somewhere quiet?" Kennedy asked, taking Wendy's hands. She nodded.

Allie pulled away from John, then ran over to her brother. She leaned up to her ear as she brought John next to her, "Aren't you forgetting something?" She hinted, causing Kennedy's eyes to go wide.

"Where is it?!"

John laughed and got the ring out of his pocket, then handed it to his bandmate, smiling the whole time.

"You're such a dumbass," Allie rolled her eyes, then walked away with John. "Good luck!"

Kennedy led Wendy to a bench outside of the school. It was a little humid outside and the rain was about to fall, so Kennedy was going to make it quick. "Wendy, can I ask you something?"

"Sure," She smiled, giggling a little. "What's up?"

"Are you in love with me?" He blurted out. "I know it's really random, but I just need to know."

Wendy smiled and rested her hand on his cheek, "Very much so, yes. And you, Mr. Brock?"

He nodded, then bit his lip, "Definitely."

"Why?"

"Because I have another question," He reached into his back pocket, then brought out the ring. Wendy's eyes went wide.

"Oh my God, that's - holy shit." She covered her mouth, causing Kennedy to chuckle. "You're - wow. Oh shit - I'm sorry, go on. Shut me up."

"Wendy, I don't know how, but you made me fall in love, and I've enjoyed every second with you. Even if it was making a complete ass of myself in an airport, or fighting with you in an elevator. Or having a snow fight with you. Or maybe it was when we were both scared shitless to be in a relationship. But either way, I'm in love with you. And I plan to keep it that way for as long as possible." Wendy smiled. "You know, I didn't even rehearse this? This all improvisation, and I'm very proud of myself. It's the truth coming out, and I hope you're feeling the same way right now as I am. Now I'm rambling, and I'll just get to the point, okay?" Wendy laughed and nodded. "Wendy, will you marry me?"

A tear fell from Wendy's eye as she nodded and let him slip the ring on her finger, "Did you really have to ask?"

"Well, I thought it'd be better that way."

"Just for clarification," She chuckled.

"Exactly."

"Alright."

"I love you."

"Same here."

"Say it."

"Why?"

"Clarification."

"I love you, Kennedy Brock."

"And I love you, Wendy Brock."

Wendy hit his chest, "Cocky bastard."

Kennedy kissed her roughly, "It's what I'm here for."

During their kiss, Wendy smiled and brought him closer to her, then mumbled into his lips, "Damn right."

The Maine, plus Allie, watched from a distance and Garrett smiled. "I wonder who was the cause of this one?" He asked. "Obviously me, because I was friends with him first."

"No," Jared laughed, "Again, I turned the van around so he could go to Minnesota to win her back."

"You're both wrong," Pat sighed. "Remember? I got the information!"

"Ugh, wrong again!" John threw his hands in the air. "I pressed all the floors in the elevator! I'm obviously the genius here!"

"We're all wrong," Jared sighed. "Trent introduced them."

"You're all wrong about everything," Allie smirked. "I told him to buy the ring."

Kennedy's mother walked out and joined them, "All of you are wrong. I gave birth to the boy. It's my good doing."

They all glanced to her and nodded, "Touché."

Garrett smiled, "I love happy endings."
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Title Credit: 'Fire' by Augustana

THE END. :)
I really loved this ending.
Because the boys are too cute.
I hope you enjoyed this story.
And thanks to anyone who read/commented/subscribed/promoted this story!
I love you all!

Love always,
Manda-Jamma! <3