Memory's Forever

Destination Unknown

“Look, we both have different goals in life Brian. I think it’s just better this way if we end it peacefully,” Mae stated. She was always the blunt one, sometimes a little too much. That quality of hers first initially attracted Brian to her.

The ducks on the nearby pond called out to the human visitors. They were feeding them their lunch today.

Mae stopped at a bench and sat down. It had been her idea originally to meet at the park and discuss their relationship. Brian scoffed and took a seat next to her. He had been dreading this conversation for weeks now.

“I feel the relationship has run its course, so to speak,” Mae stated. It was so easy for her to say these things now.

“You’re right, and I’m sorry I avoided this. I didn’t think it would be this easy,” he said. Brian stared at his brand new half sleeve he had started working on recently. It was certainly some artwork that was admirable.

“Then it’s settled,” Mae said. She noticed Brian was paying no attention to her. It was typical Brian.

Mae stood up and offered her hand to Brian. He stood up and stared at it, a small, coy smile formed on his thin lips. He grabbed it and shook it gracefully, as any man would. The coy smile was there for a reason of course. He pulled Mae into him and gave her a quick, powerful kiss. He wanted her to remember him forever.

Mae obliged and took the kiss without dilemma. She knew what Brian wanted to do. She kissed him back just as forcefully. Her hands entwined in his short, choppy brown hair. She gently scratched his head.

In her mind, she counted to five.

One, two, three-- and Brian moaned.

Mae pulled away, “Good luck with that band of yours,” she smiled and elegantly walked away. Mae knew she left Brian there standing alone and confused. She didn’t dare look back at him; she knew well enough Brian’s eyes followed her.

She added more sway to her hips and laughed to herself. It was just too easy.

Brian stood there amazed. He thought he would gain the upper hand in kissing her one last time, yet she proved him wrong yet again.

He saw her sway her hips back and forth, and a hunger for her rose deep within himself. This time though, he could not fulfill that hunger. She was gone now. That would possibly be the last time he would ever see Mae.

Brian shrugged and walked towards his car.

Mae walked to her own car at that moment as well. She turned around one last time, hoping to see Brian standing there. He was gone. All that was in her vision was the park bench they had been sitting at.

No one occupied the seat. All that was there were the soft, autumn leaves of California. Oranges and yellows mixed in with red flew all around Mae. It felt warm and promising.

Both Brian and Mae left the park feeling nostalgic. They both knew not to listen to it though. They had tried to compromise with each other many times before, only reaching the same conclusion each time.

Brian reminisced on the times Mae and him spent together in his bedroom, while his parents were gone.

Mae reminisced on simpler things in their relationship. She remembered one time in particular. Mae had worked at a local diner one summer. Brian had decided he would bring in all his friends and give her a hard time.

By the time the night ended, Mae wanted nothing to do with him. He had royally upset her to the point of no return.

Brian wasn’t worried; he knew he would win her back. His charisma was something Mae couldn’t resist.

They never made it home that night. The newly reconciled couple couldn’t wait to get to a bedroom. They had sex in Brian’s car that night. Certainly, it was a night to remember.

Mae lightly smiled to herself. She pulled down the visor and applied lip-gloss to her lips.

Brian had driven by the same diner Mae had been thinking of moments earlier. He remembered Mae hating the job. It caused her so much stress. Brian couldn’t comprehend how a small little girl created so much hatred towards a manager in his life. He had convinced her to quit somehow that summer.

Brian turned the volume up in his car.

Both drove to their destinations that day. They both resumed their lives as though nothing had happened that afternoon. It was certainly a clean break, something which neither of them had ever experienced before.

They never expected to see or hear of each other again, but both were perfectly fine with that. Yet, for whatever reasons, both had kept each other stored away in the back of their minds.

Maybe they knew deep down they would meet again, under special circumstances.

Anything is possible, but it doesn’t always mean it should be attempted.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story.

Let me know what you guys think and if I should even continue writing it.

I myself am excited for it, but I won't post it up if no one likes it or even reads it. So, let me know!