Status: [INDEFINITE HIATUS]

Different yet Always the Same

Fond Beginnings.

The sun was hidden behind the thick overcast clouds that were always present in Downsville, Washington. It would always be forever gray in the cold state and the residents there were very much accustomed to it. Especially the children.

He had been watching her since the first day he laid eyes on her. From the second story of his suburban home, Dane watched that little brunette girl ride around on her pink bike. He remember the day like it was yesterday. He had been outside with his parents after a lesson and she had happened to be returning from pre-school. She was wearing a pink shirt and and matching skirt and instantly Dane was mesmerized.

That day his parents had caught him looking. They scolded Dane, reminding him about the rules. And he knew them. Oh, he knew them so well. He knew them so well he felt as if breaking them wouldn't hurt anybody. He had been forbidden to talk, look, heck even think about her. But he couldn't stop.

She lived across the street and she was about his age. Her family had always lived across the street and unti that faithful day, Dane had been oblivious to the fact that she, of all people, had been living across his home. Every day around the same time, about one o'clock in the afternoon, she would ride her bike outside as if it were no one's business. And, everyday around one o'clock, Dane stood from his second story window and watched. She was about his age, maybe around five years old, and even though she was human... Dane knew there was something different about her.

"Dane Weatherly, would you please leave that girl alone?" asked his very authoritative mother from the doorway of his room.

Dane turned to his mother with a twinge of shame that he had been caught for the third time again that week. He looked at his shoes, finding its soles easier to look at than his mother's condescending stare.

"You know the rules," his mother stated, placing her hands on her hips.

"Yes, ma. I know. Humans are friends, not food. I am prohibited to make any sort of contact with them until I can handle myself accordingly. Yes, ma, I know. I can do it already!" little Dane exclaimed, looking up at his mother with large puppy dog eyes.

Mrs. Weatherly looked at her son and rolled her eyes, "Of course, you know. And of course I know you can handle yourself accordinly. That's why I came here to tell you tomorrow you'll be going to Kindergarden."

Dane blinked a couple of times, he was spart for a six year old, "What? Really? A human filled Kindergarden?"

"When you say it like that... it makes my stomach uneasy, son," his mother rpelied, frowning at Dane.

"You know what I mean, though," Dane replied, irritated.

Mrs. Weatherly laughed, "Of course I do, dear. Yes, you'll be surrounded by humans. But friends will be around in case, well, let's hope it doesn't happen. You'll finally get to meet Rachel."

Dane frowned, "Rachel?"

Mrs. Weatherly pointed out the window, "You're little crush."

Dane looked back outside to see the girl, Rachel, pulling her bike back into her yard.

"Oh, gross, I don't like her!" Dane exclaimed.

Mrs. Weatherly laughed and left the room in silence.

---

The smell was intoxicating. It was everywhere. It smoldered against everything. Its sickly sweet aroma made Dane want to vomit all over the carpet. He suddenly realized that he was in way over his head. As if she had read his thoughts, Dane's mother squeezed his hand reassuringly and led him through the maze of wooden blocks and jelly balls straight to a young woman who could not have been barely out of her early twenties.

"Hello Ms. Rene. This is my son, Dane," Mrs. Weatherly said, introducing Dane to his teacher.

"Why hello Mrs. Weatherly and Dane. You're going to really like it here, Dane," Ms. Rene smiled at him.

Dane gave a half-hearted smile and glued himself to the side of his mother's leg.

"It's his first time being away a whole day from the house," Mrs. Weatherly explained.

Ms. Rene nodded her head in understanding, "That's fine. Just like we discussed. If anything comes up I'm prepared."

"I have in faith in Dane," Mrs. Weatherly stated, running her hands through her son's dark hair. "He'll do fine. Why don't you run along and meet some of your classmates while Ms. Rene and I talk about adult things, Dane?"

Dane looked up at his mother with an uneasy expression only to meet her reassuring grin.

"Go on."

A few minutes later, Dane found himself strolling idly through the classroom. Finally, Dane stopped walking and smiled. The girl that lived across the street, Rachel, sat quietly in a corner with her hands folded in her lap, a solemn expression adorned her face.

"What's wrong?" Dane asked.

The girl raised her head and her sparkling green eyes locked with his. A tear rolled down her face.

"I did something bad," she whispered.

He frowned, "What'd you do?"

"I stoled Tommy's wooden black that he was playing with and he cried and he told Ms. Rene and she told me I did bad so I had to sit here for ten whole minutes."

"That sucks," Dane stated simply.

She gave him a small sad smile and then looked to see if Ms. Rene was nearby. Rachel put her hand by her mouth and leaned forward to whisper to Dane, only it seemed to be louder than before. "Tommy stoled the block from Jeska and I was going to give it back to her. I'm not sad that I stoled and did bad. I'm sad because Jeska is still sad bout what Tommy did."

"Wow," Dane said.

No other words came out of his mouth. That was the only thing that came to mind, was wow. He was in awe by this girl, Rachel, whom he had been watching for a long time. Now that he finally got to talk to her, he realized that he could not stop. Little did he know that these three letters would be the ones that he continuously used with Rachel
♠ ♠ ♠
So, new story that's been on my mind. Don't worry story is not about their childhood. There's a good chunk about there teens and a lot about their early adulthood years. Should be cool.
:]

And all of you Hold Your Breath fans, the sequel is in the works. :]