Status: [INDEFINITE HIATUS]

Different yet Always the Same

Always The Underdog.

Rachel glared at the three boys surrounding her. Obviously, she was outnumbered. It was only the third week of school and she had managed to make enemies with a group of boys who thought bullying as a way to kill time. Rachel studied the three boys. Tommy Hanson, Brendon Paulie, and Richard McFeeley.

Tommy Hanson, since day one of Kindergarten, had always annoyed Rachel. He was rude to her, stealing toys from her and her friends. He called her names like 'pig-nosed' and 'stinky' . Rachel learned to despise seeing his blond hair appear through the doorway when school started and she often had to run around the playground just to avoid Tommy shoving her around the sandbox.

Brendon and Richard were just his cronies. He used the two to do his dirty work. If Tommy didn't get his way, Brendon and Richard made sure things go his way. They were nearly identical in the fact they both had brown hair and eyes. Brendon was the taller one and Richard the shorter one. Other than that, they both shared a bad attitude that annoyed Rachel.

"Leave me alone," the girl clad in pink stated angrily, crossing her arms.

"Not until you says that Tommy is your boyfriend," Brendon said.

"Yeah, Tommy wants you as his girlfriend," Richard piped in.

Tommy smirked at Rachel with his arms crossed. The little girl narrowed her eyes at him.

"I wouldn't be Tommy's girlfriend if he was the last human being on the whole entire planet!" Rachel replied, stomping her left foot on the ground.

It was four o'clock and her mother still hadn't picked up the six year old. The light was diminishing outside, adding to Rachel's uneasiness. She was still afraid of the dark and she hated being out of her home when the sun went down. Where was her mom?

Out of the blue, Richard went flying across the floor. Brendon, Tommy, and Rachel turned to see the brown headed boy called Dane Weatherly advancing toward their group. His eyes were locked on Tommy Hanson.

Dane Weatherly was a mystery to young Rachel. She found him oddly reassuring to have around and she also found him just plainly odd, in a creepy way. She wasn't sure what it was but Rachel had a gut feeling that told Dane was different from all the other boys in her class. Dane was one of the first kids that she had spoken to at kindergarten and she had found him friendly. Yet after a few days, Rachel found Dane... for lack of better word, odd. From time to time, Rachel found Dane staring at her from across the classroom while working on art projects. Dane also talked to her non-stop for three straight days until he was moved across the room by the teacher.

"Tommy Hanson, leave Rachel alone," Dane demanded.

"No," Tommy replied. "She's my girlfriend so back off. Weirdo."

"Leave her alone!" Dane screamed, tackling Tommy to the ground.

Rachel watched in shock as Dane wrestled Tommy down in her name. Tommy yelped from Dane hitting him on his back until Ms. Rene finally waltzed over and tore the two apart.

"What is wrong with you two?" Ms. Rene asked in shock. "What is this all about? Hm? Tommy? Dane? Rachel?"

"Tommy was bothering Rachel," Dane muttered with his gaze trailed on the ground.

A bell rung as the door to the kindergarten opened. Rachel spun around and ran towards her mother with her arms wide open.

"My, my, what is this?" Rachel's mom asked laughing.

"Can we go home?" Rachel asked.

"Yes, Rachel dear. We can."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if it's a bit dry.
This chapter is important chapter for character development.