Shadows, Nightmares and New York

The Good, The Bad and The Urchins

I open my eyes to the sight of half-eaten packets of crisps, drinks, two .45mm revolver and other various necessities spread around my tent which has served as my home for the last few years. I slept the whole night last night, which is unusual due to the circumstances, but it hasn't helpt- I'm still as tired as hell. I drag myself out of my sleeping bag, put on the 1st shirt I see and light a cigarette. I didn't used to smoke but it helps calm me down and to be honest, I'm not to worried about my lungs shriveling up or dying when I'm eighty, knowing that I could die walking down the street. As I open the tent “doors”, light floods the shady tent. How long have I slept? I look down at my watch- 11:30. Time to get moving. I've stayed at this location for almost a week, usually more than enough time for a small group of urchins to find out where you are and storm your makeshift fort. I finish a packet of crisps, drink some water and start packing up.

Half an hour later and I'm ready to go. I jump on my Harley-Davidson, put the keys in ignition and I'm off! I love this bike- racing down the deserted highways make me feel alive! I came across it in a gas station I passed on my way through Kentucky with the keys on the handles with a skull keyring, so i swapped it for my ride- a mountain bike for a Harley is a fair swap, right? I just wish that i could've seen the owners face when he came out of the gas station to see a old, rusty bike with a note saying “Thanks for the Harley- but threw the keyring into the road. Skulls just aren't me :)”!

Racing down one of the many roads in Ohio is a great way to pass time. Looking at the veiw, abandoned cars and the odd urchin trying to catch up with me. Great fun. Suddenly, I hear bullets whiz overhead, screeches of urchins being filled with lead and roars of humans, some victorious, some pain filled. I skid around a corner to see a group of survivors behind a baracade of cars fighting off a group of 30- 40 urchins. I think about running from the scene, but i remember Abbey, man up and join in the action. I race to the sight, pull out my twin revolvers and start shooting. Some of the group stare at me for a minuet, wondering who i am, then focus on the battle. Over the last few years i've become quite a good shot, practicing on the odd lone urchin who tries to make me it's prey. Oh, and by the way, no matter what you've read in stories, urchins/ demons are not magical, the can die and as long as you fill them with lead, slice 'em up or give them a virus then they won't be hunting any time soon. Anyway, back to the fight. We've killed most of them, but a good 15 remain. One of the group throws me a shotgun, and I'm hardly one to turn down the offer. I examine it, and i've gotta say this is an amazing gun. It's around ¾ of a meter long, with a stock, extension to the pump ( It's like a solid metal tube that hangs down from the pump, meaning don't loose your aim when you pump it as you can keep it in the same place) and a switch varying the shot it gives from single to spread. I'm going to enjoy using it. I aim at a fairly large creature, resembling a dog on it's hind legs, except it has three heads, all of them covered with a mane of razor-sharp teeth. I fire, and if it weren't for the stock i would have been flung backwards. The power this thing has is immense! I look back at the urchin to see that almost all of it's left side down to it's waist is blown off! The reamaining head squeals in pain, then falls down dead. We fight for another 20 minuets before we've either killed all the urchins or any survivors scamper off.
We've won.
♠ ♠ ♠
2nd chapter- here's hoping you like it