Shadows, Nightmares and New York

Struggle

The next few minutes were chaos. I went into shock, falling off my feet into the earth below. Dimitri and Jane leapt to my aid, not sure what was going on. I couldn't hear them properly, it all sounded hazy. I didn't even feel my head hit the floor...

Switching in and out of consciousness. I can't believe it. My daughter, my Abbey, is with them, those deformed fuckers which sent us back to the dark ages. My Sweet Abbey... I vomit. I can see the sky whizzing past my eyes. What's happening? I moan, and then Jane and Lily come into sight. They're both white with worry I look up to see Dimitri and Pete carrying a side each, and the children in a small crowd whispering and pointing whilst Sadie tries to usher them away. It's hard to breathe. I try to sit up but can't. I can't breathe. Panic floods my body. I struggle, and lash out at my helpers, trying to get air into my lungs. I can feel it leaving, my frantic struggles draining the last of it. I can't get...

I'm... not sure where I am. I can't think straight. This is so... weird.
“....Get him some air!”
“.. What's happening?”
“.... Oh my god.... Jest, what's happening?”
“ I don't know....”
“Move!..... Get out of the tent!”
I can hear the group try to help franticly, but no-one's sure what's going on. I can feel a gas mask put on my mouth, pumping oxygen into my starved body. I can feel it take effect, and with this new-found strength I try to open my eyes. I manage a squint, and I can make out Joe in full doctors kit, and Dimitri following his orders. I look left, and I can see Jest and Jane squeezing into some spare aprons. They probably have their own, but these are the closest. I feel comforted by the general concern from these people I've known for around a day. Then the pain comes. It's nothing like I've ever felt before, this scorching, intense pain in my chest. I try to scream, but nothing happens. I'm falling back into the sub-conscious hell...

Day 1. Nothing.

Day 2. Nothing

Days 3 & 4. Some consciousness, but not for long. Chest hurts.

Days 5 & 6. Nothing again.

I open my eyes. I look around the room. The door's open, and I can see the children playing with a ball outside. To my left I can see Jane crouching over some pieces of paper on a clip-board. I try to say hello, but all that comes out is a croaky wheeze. Startled, she turns round.

“Hello Stranger! Oh my god, I was so worried! We all were.”
“... hhh.... hhhhiiii.” That took a lot out of me. I feel exhausted already.
“Oo oo oo don't speak. Don't work yourself.” She pats my hand then holds it. I smile.
“They say you had a panic attack, but an epic one. Your body went into complete shock. Your heart stopped, your lungs tightened and your brain went into overdrive. It's a miracle you didn't die!” She looks back at the papers, then turns to me.
“You were unconscious for almost 5 days.” She explains. “We all left you something for when you woke up.” She points at a pile of gifts to my right. I can see some fruit and chocolate from the kids, Pete and Sadie. From Joe there's a Doctors mask, but with chinese writing on it. Lily has given me a “My Chemical Romance” CD, and next to it there's a box containing... a whoopie cushion, 2 smoke grenades and an extendo- glove, with a note... I don't need to see the note who it's from, but I look anyway.
“Strand,
For when you get better. I'm gonna make you my mischievous accomplice if it kills me!
Jest x”
Surprise surprise. I grin like a young boy at Christmas. Then I reach for a small package. It's got a dog tag in it, with my name carved in. “From Dimitri”. And Finally There's a “FBI: Federal Boob Inspector” Tee-shirt.
“That's from me” Jane giggles.
“Where did... Where did you get all this?” I splutter.
“We harvest whatever clothing we find on our way through the country. And Jest has endless amounts of pranking materials” She grins.
I grin. I know what I'm going to do. I'm staying.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey,
Chapter numero 5 :D Hope you like it!
Hope you like it.
Please tell people about this if you don'tmind :) would like extra comments