Harbour Lights

remind me that there's time to change

After Will's not-so-little shout out, Marilyn was so shocked and embarrassed that she decided to leave. Before the next song could even begin she had began walking to her car, ignoring the stares of everyone around her as she pushed past them. Unfortunately she had parallel parked, and two cars were trapping her in. She wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

So, instead, she decided to stand on the boardwalk, leaning against the railing so that she could keep an eye on her car in the hopes that someone would un-trap her soon. The band could be heard in the distance, but fortunately she was far enough away so that she couldn't hear any lyrics.

The show didn't last for much longer; within an hour the music had stopped. The crowd began to surge towards the parking lot and she hoped that she would be able to leave soon.

Fate seemed to be working against her tonight, though.

"What the fuck are you doing here?"

The sound of his voice made battery acid pulse through her veins. She slowly turned around and, for the first time in two years, she was staring at William Banfield face to face.

He hadn't changed as much as she thought he would. He still wore the same style of clothes and his hair was the same golden shade of brown, and it fell into his eyes in the same exact, messy way that it had two years ago. He was a bit taller, maybe, but he still had the fairly tanned skin that was the result of spending too much time surfing and lounging around on the Ogunquit beaches. His eyes, though, were different: although they were the same familiar shade of hazel, a dark fire now raged behind them as he glared her down.

She realized she was staring and decided to finally answer his question. "I don't know," she replied, which was more of the truth than it was a lie. She decided to leave Adam out of this, for his own sake.

"Yes you do," Will hissed. "You hate concerts. You were standing in the crowd for a reason. What are you trying to do, Marilyn, fucking torture me?"

"Yeah, I came all the way home just to make you suffer," Marilyn rolled her eyes. “Really, do you honestly think you’re that important?” He grew angrier at her attitude, but she really couldn't care less. She could take shit from the other people in this town, but she couldn't – and wouldn't – take shit from Will.

"Then why the hell did you come home?"

At this point there was a small crowd forming around the two. People were whispering and nudging each other, and all of them were saying the same things:

"Who's Billy talking to? Is that Marilyn Day?!"

"In the flesh, baby."

"Well, boys, this looks like it's going to be one hell of a fight."


"That's none of your business, Will," Marilyn said coolly, ignoring the people around them.

"My name's not Will anymore, it's Billy. Then again, I can’t expect you to know that, seeing as how you weren't around for the last two fucking years."

"Since when do you go by Billy? I heard your stage name was Billy Bamf. What idiot came up with that one?" she snapped.

"My fucking girlfriend did."

At that her attitude faded and all she could do was stare at him in shock. For some reason, learning that he had a girlfriend was like being hit by a car. "You…have a girlfriend?"

He noticed her surprise and laughed bitterly. "Yeah, I do. Why so sad, Marilyn?" he taunted. "Did you actually think that I would sit around for two years without moving on? What, did you want me to wait for you or something?"

"No," she said quickly. "No, I didn't expect anything from you, Will – "

"Stop calling me Will – "

"That's your name and that's what I'm going to call you by," she said and stomped her foot on the ground in frustration.

He raised an eyebrow at her childish behavior and said simply, "Go home, Marilyn." He had lost the fire that fueled his anger and now he was speaking in a soft, dull voice, as if Marilyn was tiring him. As if Marilyn wasn't worth his time.

"I am home, Will."

"No, you're not. Ogunquit isn't your home anymore. Go back to Paris or London or wherever the fuck you ran to for the past two years. Just leave. No one wants you here."

At that the crowed went "ooh" and everyone waited in anticipation to see what Marilyn said to that one. Maybe she would start swearing at him. Maybe she would hit him.

But Marilyn did neither of those things. Instead she looked at him coldly and said, "Will, you shouldn't be mad about me leaving. You're the reason I left in the first place." And then she walked away, leaving Will standing alone, angrier than ever.

"Well what did you expect me to do? Run after you?" he called after her, feeling the need to have the last word. Her pace didn’t falter, however, and she didn't even glance at him over her shoulder. "That'd be a waste of time, Marilyn," he laughed. "You were a good fuck, but really, that's about it. Did you actually think you were worth it?"

At that precise moment, Marilyn Day’s heart shattered. And in its place was a fueling fire of hatred for William Banfield.