Status: Hiatus

The Four Stars

Chapter 8

The next few days pass with Jullien secluding herself as much as possible from her friends and parents. Since the evening at Geneve’s house she is disappointed in herself. Her parents know something is wrong with her, but they don’t pressure her to talk. More importantly, Mr. and Mrs. Gustav are concerned about her behaviour toward Geneve.

One Sunday afternoon Geneve was outside washing his parents’ cars and Jullien came out to mow the lawn. When Mrs. Gustav came outside to give Geneve more soap, she saw the way Jullien scowled at Geneve. He glared at her and took the soap bottle harshly from his mother – she was surprised to see her son act that way.

“Are you okay?” Mrs. Gustav asks him worried.

“Fine,” he replies through clenched teeth and gives her the soap.

For the remainder of the time while Geneve was washing the vehicles and Jullien was mowing the lawn, Mrs. Gustav silently watched both of them from inside the house.

“Harold darling,” she says to her husband who is watch television.

“Yeah,” he says not quite paying attention.

“I think something happened between Jullien and Geneve.”

Mr. Gustav raises an eyebrow at his wife’s statement, “Why would you say that?”

“Because of the way they glared at each other not too long ago. Come and look.”

He gets up and trudges to the window. He peeps through the window and sees Geneve and Jullien exchanging occasional glares. Geneve washes the car violently - splashing too much soap water on the pavement - and Jullien handling the lawnmower roughly. He looks at his wife quizzically, “There seems to be a problem, but I won’t delve into it. Let them fix it themselves.” He walks back to his previous position on the couch. Mrs. Gustav follows him after sighing and plops herself on the couch while thinking what could be the problem to their behaviour.

Jullien’s P.O.V

After ordering my lunch I search the cafeteria lazily for a place to sit and eat my lunch. Then again, that won’t be such a good idea since there is someone who will disturb me while I’m eating by just plopping them self at my table. I decide to go outside and sit under the cool shade of one of the trees.

I quickly position my bag against the tree so I can sit comfortably. After unwrapping my cheese sandwich I see the blonde bimbos sitting in one of the gazebos flirting with the boys – Chad, Alex and Levaughn – I saw on the first day of school. What would they be doing talking to surfers?

My gaze travels to Juvien who is sitting at one of the marble tables with Joanine beside him. She occasionally takes a sip of his pomegranate drink and he playfully hits her each time. Then as I’m chewing the last piece of my cheese sandwich my eyes land on a familiar figure sitting near Juvien and Joanine under the shade of the tree. The tree is close enough to their table that its branches hang over the table like a shelter from the suns penetrating rays.

I scowl at his blue eyes staring at me emotionless. Juvien and Joanine notice and turn to look in his direction. They both give me a weak smile and a wave. I return it and roll my eyes at Geneve who continues to stare at me.

The rest of lunch moves on sluggishly. Few minutes before the bell rings for the final class of the day, I hurry to my locker to collect my books for Math class. While putting my other books in my locker, other persons retrieve things from their locker. The occasional shutting of locker doors is heard every few seconds and I close my locker only to be met with the stone face of Geneve.

“What?” I ask looking up at him trying to counteract his stare.

“Nothing.” He says in a monotonous voice and walks past me with tension radiating off of his body. I sigh at his silly behaviour and walk to class after hearing the bell ringing.

I walk into Math class with the teacher already inside. Mr. Lapelle tries to quiet the students before starting the class.

The classroom quiets down and he finally gets a chance to speak. “Good afternoon students. You’ll be put in pairs today and you will be graded on the work sheet I’m distributing now. But, before we do so I will call the names of the students assigned to work together.”

Everyone moves to their partner after hearing their name and I dread being paired with one of the blonde bimbos sitting in front of me.

“…and Jullien Candlethrope.” Mr. Lapelle announces.

Oh great. Why did I have to get paired with the bimbo?

I get up angrily and shove my bag on the table where my partner is sitting. With the worksheet between us, I stare at the paper trying to work some of the questions in my head.

“Let’s just get this over with.” Geneve says irritated. He takes out his calculator, a pen and blank paper. I follow him silently and place the objects in front of me.

I look at him, “Who’s writing?” He says nothing. I sigh and slide my pen cover off. “Fine, I’ll do it.”

For the remainder of the session we talk when it is necessary. I quickly write down the answers after evaluating them with Geneve. I want to hurry and get out of his presence – it’s intoxicating, the tension between us. We finally finish, minutes before the school bell rings. I happily run out of the class after the teacher dismisses us and I replace my books in my locker.

Now, there is something else to worry about.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is like a filler, but please comment.