Sequel: Beyond the Sun

The Bird and the Worm

thirty six - the decision

“That’s it.”

“Huh?”

“That’s it,” I repeated. “We should just go to Vegas.”

“Vegas?” He questioned. “But-“

“For some ridiculous reason, I mean more to you than any other woman ever has, and it’s quite clear that I don’t intend on letting go of you any time soon. We should just go to Vegas, and then we can have a wedding for our families and all that later on.” He blinked a couple of times. “What?”

“I didn’t think you had it in you. I’m just…surprised, that’s all. Engaged for less than a day, and you already can’t wait.” He snickered a little, and I raised an eyebrow. “Not to say that being able to call myself your husband doesn’t suit me.” A smile slowly spread across his features. He seemed to like the sound of that word, even though last night, he’d been unsure as to whether he should have even popped the question or not. “And to think the only reason I know you exist is because of a video contest.”

I almost rolled my eyes. “Just tell me what you want to do, Brian.”

“Get dressed. I’ll call the guys.” The eyebrow was raised further. “You think I would get married without my best friends there?” He squeezed my hand, and I felt chills speeding through my body. “I love you,” he said, and he kissed me quickly before sliding off the bed, finding a pair of black pants and sliding a plain shirt on over his chest before proceeding downstairs, towards the phone.

I can’t believe I just suggested running off to Vegas with Synyster Gates…

He’s Brian Haner here, isn’t he?

He’s ready to marry me. Today. Can’t I freak out just a little bit here?

Fine, fine, but aren’t you going to call your best friend?

Gina should be there, I suppose…

Shouldn’t there be a bit more excitement present here?

I just don’t deserve someone as eager as him, that’s all.

If I weren’t just a voice in your head, why I would-

I know, I know. I just need to calm down first.

Whatever. It’s your wedding.


I sighed, fisting through my hair, shaking my head. This seemed so unreal…like if I pinched myself hard enough, I would wake up and be back in my dorm, and these five months never would have happened.

Nope. That didn’t work.

I picked up my cell phone, and I flipped it open, greeted by the picture of Brian. Biting my lip, I dialed Gina’s number, and then I pressed the phone to my ear, waiting for her to answer. After a few rings, I heard her disgruntled greeting, and then my heart really started pounding. “Gina? Yeah, um, it’s Heather. Look, I, uh. I have to tell you something, and you absolutely cannot freak out on me, okay?” She was quiet. “I mean it. No freaking out whatsoever.”

“Alright, alright, just tell me before you have a heart attack.” She seemed to think for a moment. “Wait. Should I be worried about you? Did Brian leave you? Are you pregnant? Should I bring a gun?” She had a gun?

“No, no, none of that, I swear. Um. Brian asked me to marry him last night, and-“

“Oh my God. Oh my God oh my God oh my God. You’re kidding, right? Please tell me you’re kidding. You’re engaged to Synyster Gates? Two nights ago, you were ready to screw his brains out, and now you’re marrying him?”

I blushed a little, shifting on the bed so that I could cross my legs. “Um yeah. That’s actually why I called. I couldn’t do anything ridiculously stupid without you present, so…could you just come here as quickly as possible?” I knew I sounded nervous. I was nervous. I hadn’t done something like this since stealing my first kiss from a kid named Andrew in my first grade year. It felt rash, and it felt very stupid, but the thought of putting a ring on his left hand…well it sent chills down my spine, and it just seemed right.

“Heather Leann. If you have dragged me over there for anything less than something of epic, and I do mean epic, proportions, I will beat your unfairly skinny ass up. Understand?” I sighed. “Alright then. Fifteen minutes, and I’ll be there. Save the rash decisions for after I get there, alright?”

“Yes, Mother.”

“I’ll see you in a bit.”

Her end of the line went dead, and I let the phone fall onto the bed, wringing the sheets in my hand, not sure if what I was doing was necessarily the right thing. My heart pounded hopelessly in my chest, and my arms felt like they’d turned the consistency of a plate of Jell-O. I closed my eyes, trying to convince myself that this was a good thing, and then I allowed myself a few more moments before meandering towards my suitcase, unzipping it, laying it on the floor, and then digging through it for something to wear.

I tried not to think about how quickly my life had changed in the last two days as I searched.

…….

“Heather? Heather, love?”

I glanced up from the makeup I’d set on the dresser, catching Brian’s reflection in the mirror I’d propped up on it. “Yeah?”

I saw the way his smile changed when he saw me, and it made my heart flutter like it had the first night I’d met him. “I just talked to the guys. They’ll all be over here in a few minutes.” His arms wrapped around me from behind, careful not to disturb my balance, and he kissed my neck, careful not to get in the way of the makeup I was trying to apply. “They sounded really excited.” I smiled at him through the mirror, and as soon as I’d finished applying the last of the eyeliner, I carefully set everything down, turning to face him.

“Do you think it’s tacky, Brian?”

“No,” he said. “No, not at all. People get married in Vegas all the time.” I relaxed against him for a moment, and he kissed my hair. “If you don’t want to do this, you don’t have to.”
I raised an eyebrow at him. “Are you kidding? For five years, I could only dream that you would feel so passionately about me. I’m not backing out of this.” He smiled down at me. “Besides. I said I’d marry you. No one specified the actual point in time.” I let him pull me into a short and gentle kiss. “Gina’ll be here soon,” I murmured, and he didn’t look surprised. “I’m as close to her as you are to the guys. It’s only fair she’s there to see the most amazing person on the planet be taken off the market.”

“You still want to do this.”

There were a million reasons against me, but yes, I did. Normal people would have backed out, citing the reason that most people waited two or three years before doing something like this, or they would simply say that it was a huge commitment, but he’d had the ring on my finger long before he’d popped the question. It was only fair to his image that something happen soon. “I still want to be your wife, yes. It doesn’t really matter to me where it happens.”

“You’re amazing,” he breathed, and then there was a knock on the door downstairs. “Want me to get it?” I shook my head. “Alright, suit yourself.” He winked, and then I pulled myself from his arms, dashing out of the room and down the stairs, opening the door before Gina could knock again.

“Well hello Heather Byrd,” she said questioningly as I stepped back to allow her inside. “You seemed awful riled up. Where’s the Gates, eh?”

“He’s upstairs, probably fixing something about his appearance.” She raised an eyebrow. “Epic proportions, right?” She nodded slowly. “We’re going to Vegas.”

“Fuck. Living with a rock star really has changed you. Mama Byrd won’t like this, oh no, not at all.”

I blinked at her, a new realization dawning on me. “Mom…”

“What?”

“Brian’s mom and dad. They don’t…”

“Heather…?”

“Brian’s parents. They don’t even know he proposed. Oh dear…”

Oh dear? Really, Heather? Did you just say ‘oh dear’? I didn’t think we lived in the 1950’s anymore, but…”

“Hey, Byrdie. What’s wrong? Uh-oh. Not getting cold feet, are you?” Vengeance strolled casually through the door and to Gina’s side, hooking an arm around her shoulders. “Brian hasn’t messed anything up, has he?” He raised a quizzical eyebrow for effect. I shook my head, still spacing out. “Then what is it?” His gaze flickered past me, towards the stairs, and then he glanced back at me. “Something up with your parents?” I shook my head again. “His?”

“I don’t think they know yet.”

A very warm arm slid around my waist, and smooth lips touched the side of my head. “Actually, love, I called them when you were sleeping.” I glanced up at him, toying with the chain Matt had given me, my fingers running over the pendant that had come with it. “They’re more than ecstatic that I’ve finally found someone who can make a lifetime mean something again, and they’re absolutely fine with waiting as long as…well, whatever…to meet you. They know you exist, and they know I love you, and that’s all that matters.” I nodded, stunned. “So as soon as the other three show up, we can go, okay?”

I nodded again, letting him hold me to his chest. Gina gave a short smile, relaxing against Vengeance. It was obvious that they were giving being together a shot, what with the way he held her and the way she was so nonchalant around him now. I was fairly certain that I looked like I’d just seen a ghost, but none of the people around me said anything, including Gina, who usually pointed stuff like that out in a heartbeat.

Somehow, we meandered to the couches, relaxing there until the other three showed up together, and Vengeance got up to let them in. Now that the time was drawing much closer, I felt nervous butterflies swarming around in my gut, and my heart was pounding threateningly in my chest. I was so sure that the entire room could hear it, but no one seemed to notice.

When we all stood, I wrapped both of my arms around Brian’s waist, and he hooked an arm around my shoulders, leading me to the door and to his car, which fit the two of us, Gina, Zacky, and Jimmy. Johnny, Matt, and Val piled into Johnny’s car, and then, with my hand safely enclosed in Brian’s we headed off for Vegas.

I was still nervous, even as we crossed the state line and neared our destination.