Sequel: Beyond the Sun

The Bird and the Worm

thirty seven - the calm

Reality didn’t sink in until we were at the final stop for gas, the eight of us circled around the gas pump in order to chat. I only realized how close I was to attaining our goal when I glanced around and realized that all of these people were here to watch a very important moment in the lives of their best friends, all of us caught up in conversation like it was any other day, unfazed by the fact that two of the eight of us were about to have a life-changing experience.

“Hey. Heather.”

I snapped out my trance easily and met Jimmy’s gaze.

“That bet we made yesterday. You wanna test it before you make it impossible for my morals to handle it?”

“Huh?” I thought about it for a second. “Oh.” Brian tugged at my hand, and I smiled over at him. “Yeah. Sure. I think you should. Just…oh crap…does anyone have a camera?”

“Just my cell phone, sorry love,” Val supplied, offering an apologetic smile.

Gina cracked a deviant smile. “Here, ho. Use mine, but it had better be good.” She reached into her bag, fishing through it for a moment, and then she held out her camera. “Use with care.” A hint of a gleam shone in her eye for a moment, and Vengeance tugged her closer. If it hadn’t been for the fact that there was a man beside me ready to tie himself to me, I would have been jealous. But, considering that was not the situation, I felt no guilt in whispering in Jimmy’s ear about what he could do, and there was no remorse as I watched Jimmy whisper something in Brian’s ear. There was even less as Brian’s eyes widened and then flickered over to look at me.

For a moment, he seemed to consider saying no, and then he rolled his eyes, turning to face Jimmy. He mumbled something about getting it over with, and then he let Jimmy put his hands on his waist, pulling him into a very sexually enticing position, right snug to his body. Intrigued, I brought the camera to the proper level, checked the shot, and then snapped a picture right as the drummer’s mouth connected with my guitarist’s.

“Oh my,” I heard Val say, and next to her, Johnny and Matt snickered. Gina made a gasping sound, and I heard her attempting to control her reaction to the situation. “Oh…I didn’t realize Brian did things like that with his hands..”

“I didn’t know Jimmy used his tongue like that.”

Their commentary made me giggle, and as I continued to snap pictures, I could feel my cheeks flushing more and more. In one moment, Jimmy had Brian pushed up against the side of a car, and in another, Jimmy’s back was against the gas pump. Sure it might have seemed a little awkward, but I thought it was hilarious that Brian was actually making out with Jimmy Sullivan, his best friend. While everyone else was marveling at their skill, I was trying to contain my laughter. I’d seen guys kiss before. Sure, they were both attractive, which made this impressive, but it wasn’t new.

“Is that legal?” Gina whispered to me. “I thought it was against the law for two men that attractive to kiss each other.”

“I guess so,” I whispered back. “Wanna take a few?” She squealed, and then she eagerly took the camera from me. I leaned against Johnny’s car, waiting with my arms folded, and then when Jimmy decided he was finished showing off, he winked and flashed a smile in my direction.

“Got him all warmed up for you, girl.”

“Thanks, Jimmy.” He tried to walk past me, but I put a hand out to stop him. “Twenty bucks, Sullivan. Cough it up.” I turned my hand palm-up, and he begrudgingly placed a twenty dollar bill on it. “Thank you.”

Brian returned to my side, wiping his lips with his thumb, and I slid my arm around his waist, grinning up at him. “Thanks, honey,” I said, and he rolled his eyes, kissing my hair. “I love you.”

“Yeah yeah,” he grumbled. “Come on. If we’re done here, Matt can pay for his gas and we can continue on.” The butterflies flared up at the thought, and Brian seemed to sense this, because he tugged me closer. “Soon, it’ll be me and you again, and you won’t have to be nervous.” I nodded and leaned my head on his shoulder. “Hurry up, Shads, we have to get to the good part of the day before sundown.”

“I hear ya, Haner.” He flashed a smile, and everyone else climbed back into their cars.

I glanced over at Brian, reaching for his hand and holding it tightly in my own. “I’m nervous, Brian,” I said, and I felt safe saying it because Gina and Vengeance were already caught up in their own conversations. “I mean, not about today, because, y’know, I want this, but just about…after.”

“I know. We can deal with your mother later. Let’s just have the happily ever after part before we worry about the troubles that come with it, alright?” I nodded. “Thank you, love.” He kissed my forehead, and he was silent for a few minutes, while Matt was inside, paying for his gas. After that, he said gently, “Alright. Let’s go,” before he started the car, waiting until Matt was out of his way before pulling out as well. It was a good thing he wasn’t Edward Cullen, because if he had been, he would have been able to hear my erratic pulse.

I was about to be his wife. He was about to be my husband. Brian Haner – Synyster Gates – the man that was one in his own, so strong and dominant, was going to promise himself to me in Las Vegas.

But of course, I had another twenty minutes to get over it before the speed changed and we began searching for the most appealing chapel possible. Each time we passed one, it looked so…un-Brianish, and I didn’t see one that looked worthy of him until about two miles later.

Brian seemed to like it, too, and he pulled in. Out of respect, Gina and Vengeance got out of the car, meandering over to Matt’s car, killing a little time with conversation, and Brian turned to me. “Are you ready?” I nodded, and he squeezed my hand. “One more kiss before we do this.” I smiled, and he leaned closer. I did the same, my eyes closed, and then his lips were on mine. The sensation was smooth, soft, and utterly gentle. Chills danced along my spine, and he stroked my face before slowly pulling back, staring into my eyes. “I love you,” he said. “So much.”

“I know, love. Let’s just do this.”

He nodded, and then we walked into the chapel, our posse directly behind us.

A thirty-something Irishman greeted us with a warm smile, gesturing for us to come to the counter, and we did. He told us about some paperwork that needed taking care of, and Brian seemed more than willing to spend the time. I was so happy that we were doing this. I hadn’t seen this happy since the first time I’d told him I loved him, and I knew he deserved it. I didn’t care about me. I was ready to be his, and that was it. He was desperately in need of someone to love him, take care of him, and be with him forever, and I was signing up for the job. I didn’t care. He was so important to me that I was doing it without a second thought.

I wasn’t going back on this. Not now that we were so close to attaining the ultimate dream.

With paperwork behind us, the Irishman led us to two dressing rooms. One was for Brian, and the other was for me. I gave Brian a short kiss before we went into our separate dressing rooms, and when I went into mine, I found that there were five or six very simple dresses to choose from. I looked at each of them, and then Gina came in to help me into the one I chose when I called for her.

I had to wait until Brian was safely in the chapel, and then Jimmy came forward, offering me his arm. I smiled at him. If he wanted to be the one to give me away to his best friend, then so be it. I wasn’t going to complain.

The rest of the gang walked around us, going in and seating themselves quickly, and I allowed myself the chance to draw in a deep breath before the curtain opened.