Sequel: Beyond the Sun

The Bird and the Worm

forty - the perception

((Brian’s POV))

“How’s it feel, Bri? Y’know. Havin’ a wife and all, especially one as gorgeous as Heather Byrd?” Jimmy wiggled his eyebrows, smiling like he always did, patting my back. “Personally, I wouldn’t let anyone else dance with her. I’d hog her for the night. True story.” He snickered. “I’m tellin’ ya, dude, I’m real fuckin jealous right now.”

I smiled, glancing over at my best friend. “I love watching her dance with the guys. It makes me feel more…secure because of how she looks back at me every once in a while and smiles.” I sipped at my drink, watching the way Vengeance spun Heather in a smooth circle only a ballerina could pull off, and sighed. “It’s a shame her parents can’t know yet.”

“Know what? That the lovely girl they thought they knew wants to be with you? Hah. I’d dangle it in front of their faces, y’know, show ‘em what they’re missing out on.”

I nodded in agreement. “Yeah, but just look at her. She wanted to get married in front of her parents, and here we are. In Vegas. She got married to a rock star in Vegas.” I sighed again, finishing off my drink. “I dunno. I mean, it might be a little off that we’ve only been together for five months, but damn. That girl just gets to me.”

“Which is why you put a ring on her finger. Face it, Bri, things don’t get much better than this.”
I chuckled and ran my hand through my shaggy black hair, raising an eyebrow at my best friend. “You’re right, Jimmy. I’m a lucky bastard. Girls like her don’t just appear out of thin air every day.” I smiled again, biting my lip, and Heather glanced back at me from her dance with Vengeance, grinning. I was allowing myself to be a total sap tonight, and once again, that should have shamed me, but there were no bruises on my ego.

“Think she’ll let you call her Heather Haner in private?”

He grinned, and I shook my head, laughing a little. “She probably won’t change her name until after the wedding she wants to have for her family. Then I’ll be able to call her Heather Haner all I want.” I flashed a smile at her, and Vengeance pulled her closer, and she winked before returning her attention to him. If it weren’t for the events of the nigh and the fact that he was currently with her best friend, I would have been a little jealous of how he could hold her as they danced, but I knew I would be able to hold her all I wanted later on.

“Brian?”

I was pulled out of my daze by Val’s hand touching my arm, and I offered a small smile as I raised an eyebrow, acknowledging her presence.

“I know you probably want to stare at your wife all night, but Matt won’t dance with me, so will you?”

I allowed my attention to drift to Matt, and he shrugged, laughing. Turning back to Val, I nodded, offering her my arm, and she took it. “So why won’t he dance with you?”

She let me lead her to a suitable place on the small dance floor. “I don’t know, really.” She feigned a pathetic sigh. “Maybe it’s because he’s fine just where he is, alcohol at hand.” I laughed at this, and she smiled. “Or it’s because he knows you need company other than James Owen Sullivan, who may be the one with the dirtiest mind of all of us.”

“That could be very true.” I sighed. “Like the dancing skills?” She nodded, laughing. “You can thank Vengeance for that. He decided to give me a personal lesson about four months ago.” She didn’t seem to believe me. “It’s true. You can ask him.”

“It’s a good thing I don’t go on tour with you guys anymore. The things I would see.”

“And hear.”

“Hear?”

I bit my lip for a second. “Heather’s three days on the bus were interesting, let’s just say that.”

She laughed. “I’ll bet they were.” For a few moments, it was silent, and Val glanced around as we moved in slow circles, following the tempo of the music that played overhead. I wasn’t really sure how much time had passed until she said gently, “I’m really happy for you, Brian. I’m glad you found somebody so special after what my sister did to you.”

I shrugged. “We all knew I’d get over it eventually. It just got…sped along, that’s all.”

“Whatever, Brian,” she teased. “You fell in love, and you’re just too much of a macho man to admit it.” There was a slight hint of a laugh behind her voice, and I couldn’t help but laugh a little myself. “If only Matt would ask me to marry him, y’know? I bet that man could make some pretty babies.” She wiggled her eyebrows. “Which is something you two should start on. Y’know. Now that it’s legit and all.”

“We’re going to wait until she’s out of school. That way it can be a full-time thing.”

“Aw. And the big bad rock star does have a sensitive side.” I stuck my tongue out at her. “No, seriously, I think it’s sweet.”

I rolled my eyes at her. “Aw gee, thanks.” We both laughed, and the music slowed down a little. I glanced past her, and I saw Vengeance giving Heather a gentle hug and a kiss on her cheek. Val simply touched my face and smiled.

“Thanks for the dance, Brian.”

I nodded, and she easily separated from my arms, walking back to Matt. Vengeance glanced up at me, and Heather pulled out of his arms, looking back at me. I held my hand out to her, and as she walked towards me, I flashed a smile in the direction of the DJ. One more song would be enough, and then we all could go home, and Heather and I could enjoy this night alone.

Her hand folded delicately into mine, and she found the perfect place for her other hand, right on my shoulder, before pulling me down and touching her lips to mine. I slid my arms around her waist, letting her kiss me again. I swear I hadn’t felt this mellow in a long time, but the entire day, I’d just been in this Zen mood, completely at peace with everything.

A country song I didn’t recognize began playing, and Heather laid her head on my chest, sighing as she relaxed against me, shifting as my hands found the appropriate resting places on her waist. I heard shoes clicking against the hardwood floor, and then Vengeance’s gentle murmuring passed my ears. I rested my head on Heather’s, closing my eyes, and moved the two of us in a slow circle, barely moving otherwise.

Matt and Val passed us, too, and I could hear Gina’s giggling as Vengeance flirted with her quietly. As far as I knew, Johnny and Jimmy were the only two without dates, but it wouldn’t have surprised me to hear them on the dance floor, dancing with each other, Johnny complaining and Jimmy making fun of him. I was just amazed at how amazing this night had turned out to be. I’d thought that this would be a simple in-and-out process, given that it was Vegas, but since we’d picked a higher-up chapel to do this in, we were provided with the whole experience. For Heather’s sake, I was thankful for that.

She softly sang along, and it didn’t matter that I didn’t know the words. All I could think about was how glad I was that she’d changed her major, and all she seemed to be worried about was enjoying the moment, which was another plus of the night. She didn’t seem too focused on what her parents would think, she seemed to be blocking out everyone else but her and I, and her entire body was so relaxed against mine as we danced that it amazed me.

Out of nowhere, I heard her softly murmur, “I love you, Brian,” and I kissed the top of her head.

“I love you too, Heather.”

Then, just like that, the song was over, and the lights slowly faded on, to full capacity. I lifted my head from on top of hers, and she pulled her head from my chest, smiling up at me and wiping her eyes. Instead of asking her what was wrong, I simply touched her face, brushing the leftover tears away, being as careful as I could not to ruin her eyeliner. She caught my hand in hers, and then she folded her other hand over it, looking down at it and running her thumb over my wedding ring. “I’m still assuring myself that this is here, and it’s been two hours.” Her eyes met mine. “Gosh, how pitiful am I, huh?”

I curled my fingers into hers. “Not very. I’m still getting used to it, too.” She smiled a little more, and I cupped her face with my free hand. “You wanna go home now?” She nodded. “Okay. Guys?” The gang walked over to us, and I resisted the urge to smile when Vengeance discreetly kissed Gina’s temple, being the affectionate date. “Heather’s ready to go home.”

“Wanna swap cars?” Johnny suggested. I raised an eyebrow. “I mean, full speed ahead if you wanna go home in an Escalade on your wedding night, but I can always come for my ‘Cuda tomorrow or something.” I smiled at him, glancing at Heather, who didn’t seem opposed to the idea, and nodded. “Okay. Gimme your keys, and Matt can give you the keys to mine.”

“Thanks, Johnny.”

“Hey. It’s what friends are for. Besides. If you had a ‘Cuda, I’m fairly certain you’d do the same for me.”

“Sure, sure.” I winked at him, and then keys were exchanged. “You guys head on home.” Jimmy clasped my shoulder for a moment, and I winked at him, flashing a classic smile. “We’ll see you later.”

After everyone was gone, Heather’s feather-light touch was on my chin, catching my attention, and she pulled me down into a very gentle kiss, breaking it after only a second or two. “Hey Brian?”

“Yes love.”

“I kinda wanna keep this dress.” Her impossibly blue eyes smiled up at me, and I smiled back down at her. “Do you think they’ll let me?”

The Irishman that had married us came up to us, obviously curious as to why we were still hanging around.

“Seamus?” He looked over at me. “Heather would like to keep her dress. Is there any way that would be possible?” He bit his lip, as though to tell me there was cost involved, and I shook my head. “And cost is no issue here.” He raised an eyebrow.

He seemed to think about it for a few moments, chewing on his lip, scratching his head, seeming undecided until Heather pulled herself closer to me, her hand on my chest, smiling at him, waiting patiently for his answer. “It seems important to the lady, so…if she wishes, she can take the dress with her.”

“Thank you so very much, Seamus.” I outstretched my hand, and he took it, shaking it a few times before releasing it. “I think you just made the night even better for her.” He smiled, and then, with a final wave, I led Heather out the door, to the car, and then held the car door open for her, closing it after she was situated.

“Did I mention you look amazing in that tux?” she said as I settled into the driver’s seat. I shook my head. “You could break some hearts looking like that.” Almost lovingly, she smiled at me, her eyes twinkling like they had in the café with her mother, and she slipped her hand into mine. “Fortunately, you don’t seem to be breaking mine.”

I gave her hand a squeeze as I started the car. “I’d never, and that’s a promise.” She grinned – we both knew I was telling the truth. “Ready to start this night, Mrs. Haner?” She nodded. “Alright. Let’s do this.”