Sequel: Beyond the Sun

The Bird and the Worm

nine - the "inferno"

“Brian, you do know those kids are going to be back here in like…five minutes, right? Brent’s finishing off their third encore.”

“Yeah well it’s not Heather’s fault she still can’t get out of that nice little outfit one of the dancers gave her.” As he said this, I was on the other side of the door, struggling to unsnap a garter and to pull the pantyhose down my legs without leaving huge runs in them. The heels I’d slipped my feet into had been easy enough to manage out of, but the rest of the skimpy clothes were a different story. Not that Brian had minded sitting with me like this, stroking the back of my hand while holding a light conversation with me.

I couldn’t figure out how to get these damned silk gloves off, either. Frustrated, I decided to worry about them later, and I reached back to unsnap the black lace bra I’d put on, quickly pulling on my own bra and top (the top was actually another one of Michelle’s that Jason had fetched for me with a ginormous smile on his face as always). Then, deciding I didn’t care if I had hooker hose on beneath my jeans, I slipped said jeans on, using the studded belt Brian had lent me to hold them up. Satisfied and victorious, I emerged from the bathroom, pulling the gloves off my hands as I went.

Brian greeted me with a smile, picking up the ring that I was technically borrowing and rubbing it with his thumb. He had no idea that he’d actually warmed up the ice-cold metal that had been pressing into my skin for the last few hours. As he pulled me into his arms, I smiled and leaned against him, thinking back on the last two and a half hours that we’d spent backstage. I’d lost count of how many jokes Jimmy had told, or how many times I’d bitten my lip to keep myself from kissing the man that kept a hold of my hand the whole time when we’d spent some time together.

Zacky walked out of another bathroom, and he smiled at me. “Is the ring on the necklace?” I nodded. “Sweet. You look nice in that shirt, by the way,” he added, winking, and then he settled onto the couch, tilting his head back and closing his eyes, possibly meditating in his own way for the last five minutes of silence before ten hyped-up fans came bounding in, with hugs and high-pitched babbling abound.

Exactly the way I’d felt like being eighteen hours ago, when I’d first met these guys.

The five minutes passed with me and the guys seated on the couches, chatting lightly, and then Jason poked his head in. “They’re here, so smile.”

“I’m smiling, damn it,” said Jimmy, and then Brian kissed my hand before releasing it, winking and smiling at me. “Bring on the frickin entourage!!!”

Ten seconds later, we heard, “OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!” being repeated by several different and enthused fans. Jason stepped aside as soon as everyone was here, and the guys rose. They greeted each fan one by one, giving each of them a bear hug, and then, once everyone was somewhat settled, excited sessions of question and answer ensued.

‘Ready set go it’s time to run, the sky is changing, we are one, together we can make it while the world is crashing down…ready set go it’s time to run, the sky is changing, we are one, together we can make it.. ‘

I smiled apologetically as I opened my phone and stepped into the other room, though I didn’t really seem to have interrupted much of anything. Brian simply held my gaze longer than the rest of the guys before the door closed, and once it had, I leaned gratefully against the wood, letting my fingers toy with the ring he’d be sliding back onto my finger in about an hour or so.

“Oh my god Heather, so how was the second show?”

“It was great, uh, Matt had me come up to the stage and jam with the guys. I sang Dear God with him and then I sang our favorite song alone.”

“No way…that is totally frickin awesome…hey, um, did he give you it yet?”

I toyed with the subject of this momentary conversation. “Yeah, he did, actually.” I blushed a little, even though no one was around. “It was kind of sweet, really.”

“What about your mom? I mean, I talked her down a bit because she called me back once she was done talking to you, but she seemed like she was going to rip your throat apart because you told her off. Kudos, by the way. Been waiting for you to do that for a while.”

“Yeah well once the fans the guys invited backstage leave, which will probably be in about an hour, I get to tell her just a little bit more about how I feel. I feel a little more empowered right now than I did before.”

“Oh dear lord, please tell me you did not fuck the man on stage. I mean, it doesn’t sound like a bad idea, but that’s kind of giving it all away, you know?”

“I did not, and you know it.”

“Yeah well I like to think that my best friend is capable of being just as much of a whore as I am. Apparently you’re just too goody-goody.”

“Um. Not really. I, uh, danced in trashy lingerie to Beast and The Harlot with the other dancing girls.”

“Way to go, Heather. You know, I hope they put that on video.”

I laughed. “Hey, can I call you back? There are fans back here, and I’m feeling a little social at the moment.” She grunted her response, and I assumed that was her telling me to call her back when I was done reaming my mother out. “I’ll talk to you later, Gina.” She muttered a ‘bye’, and then her end of the line went dead. Pocketing my phone, I seated myself between Brian and Jimmy, smiling as the fan they were talking to greeted me. I very subtly once-overed him. He looked like he was about twenty-five, and he and the guys were currently speaking a foreign language- geeking out about technology and the different kinds of mikes and such the band used. He wasn’t too hard on the eyes, and his smile was kind of inviting. I listened to them talk back and forth, but I couldn’t really interject anything, since I didn’t have a clue as to what they were talking about.

Leaning my head on Brian’s shoulder as they talked didn’t seem too forward, which was nice for me, considering I was kind of tired, even though it was only six in the afternoon. The other two didn’t really seem to notice it, and if they did, they chose to say nothing. This fan was obviously not interested in jumping Brian’s bones, so it was safe for me to use the shoulder-becomes-pillow technique.

Letting my eyes flit across the room, I could see Zacky flirting with a pretty redhead, smiling and laughing and touching her shoulder a lot. He was pretty much enveloped in that conversation, and Johnny was nerding out with a bunch of guys about what bands were the most inspiring to younger musicians.

That took care of six of the fans.

A blonde stepped out of the bathroom, and that made seven. Where were the other three?
Jimmy whispered In my ear, “The other three were a little on the trashy side, so they didn’t make it back here. We didn’t think you’d appreciate it if groupies were stealing your time trying to get laid.”

I lifted my head from Brian’s shoulder for a minute to smile at him. “Thanks, Jimmy,” I said with a smile, and he nodded, then my head laid on Brian’s shoulder once more.

The fan Brian and Jimmy had taken to paused as a conversation about different types of amps came to a close. He gave me a friendly smile, and I smiled back. “So you get two more days with these guys, huh?”

“Yeah, I guess,” I said. No longer kind of bored, my head abandoned its pillow.

“Was it cool, being onstage like that? I mean, you looked like you were having a lot of fun.” He brushed his hand through his impossibly perfect blonde hair. “How long have you been a fan?”

“Since I was about thirteen or fourteen. High school kind of sucked for me.” Uncnsciously, I toyed with the chain on my neck, being subtly careful not to draw attention to the ring that hung from it. “What about you? I mean, you sound like you know what you’re talking about.”

He laughed shortly, scratching his head. “Well, uh, I’m actually a sort of recruit. My employers always send me to shows like these, where the band has a fan come up and sing, and that’s where I usually get the talent I sign.” My eyes widened a little. “Have you ever considered a career in performing, Heather? I mean, you’ve got a great voice, and crowds seem to like you.” Not to mention that the dancing skills I’d acquired from three proms and numerous dance classed throughout the years had definitely paid off while scantily clad.

“I’m actually going into the whole sociology thing. Trying to become an expert on body language.”

“Oh. Well.” He reached into the pocket of his shirt. “Here’s my card, if you ever change your mind.”

I grinned at him. “Thanks, uh…”

“Just call me Jace,” he said with a small chuckle. He nodded in Brian’s direction. “I think I’m going to join Johnny’s group therapy session,” he said, “so thanks for the conversation.”

“Absolutely. No problem. Would you like me to sign something?”

“Actually, I do have this CD that I wouldn’t mind having autographed.”

Brian beamed. “No problem. Hand it on over, and I’d be glad to.” Jace pulled out the CD, and Brian took it, pulling a Sharpie from his pocket, and then signed it, passing it on to Jimmy, who did the same. Then, it made its way over to Johnny, who signed it with a smile, and then it was passed on to Zacky, who didn’t seem to mind when the pretty redhead he was chatting with decided to meander off to wherever Jace was going. Eventually, the CD made it to Matt, and then he and Jace began the same type of conversation that Brian had just gotten out of.

I didn’t really keep track of how quickly the time passed, but before long, an hour was gone, and shortly after that, so were the fans we’d been hanging out with- but not without numerous hugs, multitudes of autographs, and repeated promises to return to this venue.

Eventually, it was just me and the band, like it had been all day long, and the guys gave Brian and I a few moments to ourselves. My cell phone told me that it was just past seven, and a quick glance past Brian’s shoulder before he pulled my lips up to his for the first time in hours told me that it was getting dark. This meant that I had to face the wicked witch herself before I could relax with ease on the bus and fall asleep tonight. Brian seemed to realize this, too, because he allowed his lips to rest on mine for just a little while longer before he pulled back and stroked my face. “There’s a small café down the road from here. Never many people there. Tell her to meet us there,” he suggested, and I nodded.

Opening my phone, I dialed the numbers, then pressed the phone to my ear and relaxed into Brian’s arms as he pulled me close.

“It took you long enough to call, Heather,” scolded my mother, neglecting to greet me with even the simplest ‘Hello’, “Where’s the best place for us to talk this through?”

“Uhm, I guess there’s a tiny café down the road from the venue, so you could meet us there. We can be there in ten minutes or so.”

She sighed. “Ten minutes. And then I’m giving you half an hour to explain your behavior. Do you understand me?” I sighed, and she took this as a yes. “Oh yes, and do make sure that rock star of yours comes along. I do believe I have a few words for him as well.”

“Whatever, Mom,” I breathed, and she murmured something else, though I didn’t really catch it. Since she didn’t repeat it, I figured I was safe with a, “See you in ten,” before I snapped my phone shut and slipped it back into my pocket. “Ugh I do not want to talk to her.”

“I know you don’t,” he said softly, “but remember what I said. You won’t have to talk that much at all, if that’s how you’d prefer it. I perfected the story in my head during the show.” I sighed, kissing his collarbone. “Let’s get the ring taken care of,” he said, and I pulled back from his arms only because his hands were warm as he turned me around and undid the necklace, pulling the ring from the chain before putting my necklace back on for me. I turned back around to face him, and he took my left hand in one of his, sliding the ring onto my finger with the other. My cheeks automatically became tinged with a slight hint of red. “Perfect. Come on. Let’s get this over with so you can get some sleep.” I nodded, letting him take my hand, and we followed the guys out to the bus.

They dropped us off at the café- they’d be going to the supercenter just down the road, so they could pick us up anytime- and before we reached the door, Brian pulled me into a soft kiss. “I can do this,” I assured him, and he smiled and winked at me before leading me inside.

“Heather Leann Byrd, you better start explaining,” my mother said quietly, though the dismal tone in her voice was obvious. She sipped her nasty black coffee, and then leaned back in her seat, rapping her fingernails on the table. “And it had better be good.”

“I love him, Mom.” I glanced over at him as I said the words, and his gaze immediately connected with mine. A small smile formed on his lips. I felt my cheeks become a little warm as I blushed more than before, and the way his eyes twinkled made me feel all warm inside. I bit my lip. Wow. He was better at this than I was. His smile spread a little more, and he slipped his hand into mine, lacing our fingers together.

“You what?” my mother questioned, glancing frantically from me to Brian and then back again. “You what?”

Brian’s gaze caught mine, as though he was wondering if he’d hear the words again.

“I love him.”