How can I still love him now that I know I have to?

It Takes More Than Dracula to Scare Me

The next morning, I was jumpy. I got ready for school and ran out the door. I still don’t know how I really fell about Maxwell. I like him, but mostly as a friend. Don’t get me wrong, he is totally hot. Besides, I doubt that he even likes me. Standing outside of my school, a shiver went down my spine. It was a cold foggy morning. When I looked over at Maxwell, the coldness left my body. A warmth spread throughout my whole body as he smiled at me. I returned the smile. At the end of first hour, Maxwell approached me.

“So we are still on for tonight?” he asked me, double checking.

“Yeah,” I told him, smiling.

“Okay. I’ll see you at seven,” he reminded me. Friday was pretty miserable. Aside from me being nervous about the date with Maxwell, I had a test for every class. I skipped lunch because it was nasty as always. On my way home, I made a mental note of what I had to do to get ready. Finally home, I started the long process. I put on my outfit, fixed my hair, and did my makeup. It was about thirty minutes before he was supposed to pick me up. I crashed on my couch and started reading. After a while, I heard a soft knock on my door. I placed a bookmark on the page I was reading and headed for the door. Swinging it open, I couldn’t help but gasp at the person standing in my doorway. My jaw fell to the floor. Maxwell looked wow. I don’t even think I can find a word to explain how he looked. He smiled at my expression. Quickly, I closed my mouth. A second later, I realized that he was checking me out.

“You look beautiful,” he complimented me. I smiled then twirled for him to get the full effect.

“Are you ready to go?” Maxwell asked.

“Yep. Let’s go,” I replied with excitement. I locked my front door, and then walked with him towards his car. It was a sleek, black Jaguar. He opened the passenger door for me and I climbed in. Closing my door, he opened him. What? He was just right here, unless I was daydreaming and lost track of time. I decided to drop the subject. Instead, I asked, “What are we going to see?”

“Well, I was thinking we could go see the remake of Dracula, but if you don’t want to, we can go see something else,” he smiled.

“No, that’s fine. It sounds cool,” I replied.

We pulled into the theater and found a parking space. As we walked into the movies, I whispered to Maxwell, “I should have brought my plastic fangs.” He chuckled at me with a ground-shaking smile. We bought our tickets, which after an intense argument; I decided to let him pay for. After, we stood in line so we could pay a million dollars for junk food that makes you gain twenty pounds in five minutes. Maxwell and I found seats and got situated. The movie wasn’t supposed to start for another twenty minutes, so we had plenty of time to talk. We played Twenty Questions but he didn’t open up very much and seemed more interested in me. The lights died down and our conversation dropped. The opening credit played as we watched with full attention.

“You scared?” Maxwell questioned me half way through the movie.

“No,” I told him with full confidence, “They are just vampires.” He snorted at this like it was some kind of private joke. I could have sworn I heard him whisper, “If you only knew,” under his breath. I shot him a puzzled glance then continued watching the movie. Before I knew it, the end credits were rolling down the screen.

“Wow, that was better than I expected,” I declared as we made our way out of the theater. He nodded his head in agreement. The ride home was fairly quiet. He pulled to a stop in front of my house. Walking me to the steps that lead to my front door, he stated, “I had a good time.”

“Me too,” I agreed. We stood there, face to face, for a what seemed like hours