Status: Active

I'm Gonna Get Through to You

Chapter Ten!

I sat on my bed, flipping through the number on my sidekick. I sighed, shaking my head as I scrolled to Shaant’s number. I stared at it, before I hit end. I tossed my sidekick at the pillow.

“Seriously?” I asked myself. “Seriously?” Why do I care about what Shaant thinks of me? I grabbed my phone, and typed quickly before I sent a text.

Shaant, meet me at the park in ten minutes. –Annabelle

I got to the park before Shaant. Anxious isn’t even a good description to describe my feelings. Partially due to the dark, partially due to the conversation that Shaant and I will be having.

“Hey baby,” a drunken voice slurred.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. This is what I’ve been told my whole life. This is why I don’t go out alone at night. This is why my Mother and Grandmother drilled these rules into me and nearly drove me crazy with all the scenarios that could happen.

“Uh hi?”

“What is a pretty little thing like you doing here all alone?” he asked.

The park lighting is dim, though I guess they don’t really expect little five year olds to be playing in the park at nearly midnight. So why have awesome lighting? But it would be great right now. I could barely see the guy but his outline told me enough to know that he wasn’t that big. Sure he’s tall than me. Broader shoulders. Look a bit built. But he’s really skinny so maybe I have a chance.

“I’m waiting on a friend,” I replied shakily.

Great, now he’ll think I’m lying because I can’t hold my voice steady.

“Is that so?” he asked, stepping closer to me.

“Uh yeah… But I’ll be going now. Bye,” I said cheerfully. I started walking but he latched on to my elbow.

Well damnit anyway!

“What’s your hurry?” he slurred. His druken breath tickled my cheek and I wrinkled my nose in disgust.

“What do you think you’re doing?” someone demanded.

I never thought I would be happy to hear Shaant’s voice but right now I definitely am.

“Nothing man. Free love,” the guy slurred. If this wasn’t such a scary situation I would have burst into laughter.

“Yeah? Not with my girl,” Shaant snapped. “And it better not be with any other girl either,” Shaant growled. He stepped between us and gently pushed me behind him. I’ve never seen him so mad, not even at me. He’s really intimidating when he wants to be.

“Sorry man, I didn’t know!”

“Well now you do. Go home,” Shaant snapped.

The guy scurried away and once we couldn’t see his silhouette anymore Shaant turned around to face me.

“Are you okay? Did he hurt you or anything?”

“No, no. Just scared me is all,” I mumbled, still slightly shocked.

Shaant only added to my surprise by hugging me.

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

“Yeah I’m fine.”

“Okay,” Shaant nodded. He let go of me and we walked over to the swings and sat down. “So why the hell am I here are twelve oh eight?”

So much for nice Shaant.

“Because what you said earlier really bothered me… Do you really think I’m a bitch?” I asked.

Shaant just laughed, “Is that really why I’m here?”

“Yes,” I nodded, growing irritated that he was laughing.

“You almost got yourself hurt by some guy to ask me that?” he asked, continuing to laugh.

“Yes,” I shouted angrily.

There was enough light beside us for me to tell Shaant just rolled his eyes.

“Yes. I do think you’re a bitch Annabelle. You don’t act civil around me ever and you’ve given me no reason to think otherwise. I’m not being an asshole here. I’m giving you a reality check because apparently you need one,” Shaant replied standing up. “Now come on.”

“I’m not goin’ anywhere with you!”

“You are. I’m walking you home so nothing else happens. Now come on,” Shaant said.

“I’m not going,” I snapped.

No way am I going anywhere with him.

“It’s midnight. I’m tired, come on!”

“No!”

Shaant walked towards me and swiftly through me over his shoulder. Somehow he managed to carry me to my house without dropping me. When we got to my house he threw me down on the grass.

“Bye princess.”

“Asshole!”